Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Låt den rätte komma in (2008) (Read 40,240 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Let the Right One In (2008)
Reply #15 - 18. Nov 2008 at 06:22
Print Post  
I'm glad other people are starting to see this film (and so far the critiques are almost all positive).

They're making an American remake, too. Which is guaranteed to suck. (No pun intended.)

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #16 - 19. Nov 2008 at 03:28
Print Post  
My streak has been broken. I now have one Swedish vampire movie under my belt.  Smiley

I concur with the opinions given thus far. This movie is a must watch. It's probably worth a re-watch for me (although I don't usually do that)
because like joseph, I missed the subtext.
I'm not sure if it would make any difference to me personally but it might be fun to see it again knowing now what I didn't know then.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #17 - 19. Nov 2008 at 06:06
Print Post  
I also want to see it again. And I'd like to find an English translation of the novel.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #18 - 19. Nov 2008 at 07:27
Print Post  
The English translation of the novel can be bought from here:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

zork
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #19 - 19. Nov 2008 at 12:10
Print Post  
Today I went to Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival to see this movie.

Actually, the vampire movie is not my type of movie and I don't like  violence(even a little)... But I thought this one is still worth to see-beautiful shots, the strong relationship, and the well-act.

So my rating is 8/10, must to watch.

Now I really want this movie could be released in most theaters in my county. Then maybe I can get a DVD to watch it again.

I hope I have a chance to read a novel...

Anyway, thanks josephk for introducing this movie, so I could notice it and went to watch this excellent one. Smiley

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #20 - 19. Nov 2008 at 21:45
Print Post  
gee wrote on 17. Nov 2008 at 21:18:
I loved this movie. it was so far the best I have seen all year.

OK everyone, how about making your prediction:
Which vampire movie will make the most money at the box office in Sweden:

Let the Right One In (2008, Sweden)

Twilight (2008, USA)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #21 - 19. Nov 2008 at 23:07
Print Post  
Hah. Twilight will probably make more money everywhere, even in Sweden.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #22 - 21. Nov 2008 at 19:37
Print Post  
Quantum wrote on 19. Nov 2008 at 07:27:
The English translation of the novel can be bought from here:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I ordered a copy at the libaryy i work at however the tile of the book is let me in is this just a differnt traslation or is it  a second book or something.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #23 - 21. Nov 2008 at 21:45
Print Post  
I don't know - the copy I have certainly has the title "Let the Right One In". Does it have the right author? It should be John Ajvide Lindovist.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #24 - 21. Nov 2008 at 22:38
Print Post  
It's the same book. Different edition, different title, but same book.

IP Logged

Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #25 - 27. Apr 2009 at 23:51
Print Post  
Hi guys,

Sorry for not being a good sport, but I can't really join in the enthusiastic rattle for this movie.

I just watched it tonight, actually having been really glad to find it in my local dvd store.

Well, coming straight to the point, it wasn't bad. But it wasn't so good either. At two thirds of the movie I kept asking myself whether I would give it a 5 or a 6. I wasn't bored, but I wasn't fully satisfied either. Something in the middle. Okay, the boy undergoes some sort of character development. Nice. The vampire girl kept struggling with her blood-thirst and becomes a good friend to the boy, even on a romantic level. Very nice. The boy is now able to stand up the school bullies. Wow, cheers to the vampiric advice! =) I didn't find the boy's reaction very believable either, once his girlfriend started licking the blood from the floor. There were some scenes where he actually tried to show some excitment by breathing at a quicker pace, but his face, glance and whole appearance was not really part of it. He was clumsy, but I guess that's what his character was meant to be. The movie itself is rather slow, the level of suspense or anticipation was fairly low. And the ending, well, I actually had to smile when our female heroine had her final appearance. Poor bullies, never mess with the skinny kid with the vampire girlfriend.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. I'm not disappointed, just a bit taken aback due to the extraordinary high rating this movie received from our members.

I'm sure a Hollywood remake would result in a decent and at least as worthwile show. Probably with a bit more speed, plot and acting talent.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #26 - 28. Apr 2009 at 00:04
Print Post  
Andreas_N wrote on 27. Apr 2009 at 23:51:
I'm sure a Hollywood remake would result in a decent and at least as worthwile show. Probably with a bit more speed, plot and acting talent.

Haha. A bit more speed and "plot" yes. (Although I use "plot" in a negative way.) Less talent, though. Guaranteed.

By the way, it's not just us. Movie is rated 8.2 on IMDb and has a staggering 98% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes. At the film festival where I saw it, it won the jury's first prize.

But again, it looks like it's just a matter of tastes. Like we always say, to each his own. Smiley

IP Logged

Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #27 - 28. Apr 2009 at 08:02
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 28. Apr 2009 at 00:04:
Andreas_N wrote on 27. Apr 2009 at 23:51:

Haha. A bit more speed and "plot" yes. (Although I use "plot" in a negative way.) Less talent, though. Guaranteed.

By the way, it's not just us. Movie is rated 8.2 on IMDb and has a staggering 98% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes. At the film festival where I saw it, it won the jury's first prize.

But again, it looks like it's just a matter of tastes. Like we always say, to each his own. Smiley

Exactly. I guess people are simply impressed by the "new approach", the different artistic handling, the foreign language style and so on. That's fine. I for my part can't say something is good only because it's "not American". I do like many foreign films myself, mostly French, Italien, Spanish and German, but Scandinavian and in particular Russian movies have a style I simply can't take... Smiley

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 30. Apr 2009 at 05:01
Print Post  

Quote:

....but Scandinavian and in particular Russian movies have a style I simply can't take... Smiley

You admit you have a bias, a prejudice against Scandinavian movies. That colored your review.

And you actually believe a Hollywood remake will be superior or at least as good? I disagree strongly. The fact that it will be a "Hollywood movie" guarantees it will not be as good. It will be slick and brightly packaged and very, very fast paced so no one has to think. It will be shallow and mindless. But with lots of gore and violence.

IP Logged

Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #29 - 30. Apr 2009 at 08:32
Print Post  
Quote:

Quote:

....but Scandinavian and in particular Russian movies have a style I simply can't take... Smiley

You admit you have a bias, a prejudice against Scandinavian movies. That colored your review.

And you actually believe a Hollywood remake will be superior or at least as good? I disagree strongly. The fact that it will be a "Hollywood movie" guarantees it will not be as good. It will be slick and brightly packaged and very, very fast paced so no one has to think. It will be shallow and mindless. But with lots of gore and violence.

Now there's at least as much prejudice in your post as was in mine. Yours is against Hollywood productions. Actually, when I spotted Let the Right One In in my DVD store, I was glad, prepared for a really good movie, not thinking of it as a Scandinavian film which I'm likely not to like. It was the watching experience on its very own merits that made up my mind, not any sort of "prejudice".

However, there is a number of "Hollywood films" that I love, that I think are absolutely magnificent, but which receive only a low to average rating here - proving the bias people have, and which can easily be spotted in your message.

It all hinges on impression and inspiration. I was neither impressed nor inspired by Let the Right One In. That's a fact, not a prejudice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print