Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Låt den rätte komma in (2008) (Read 39,958 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Låt den rätte komma in (2008)
04. Jul 2008 at 03:40
Print Post  

Swedish vampire movie that's getting pretty good reviews, at least from genre fans.

It's playing at the Fantasia festival in Montreal this month... Here's what they say about it:

Quote:
12-year-old Oskar’s school life is hell. Timid and introverted, he finds himself victimized on a near-daily basis by bullies whose attacks often go so far as to draw blood. Outside of school, he spends most of his time alone in the comfort that only isolation can bring to the socially uncomfortable. Lately, Oskar has been assembling a notebook full of newspaper clippings related to a string of murders plaguing his neighbourhood. Bodies are being found bound and blood-drained, their necks utterly smashed. He is fascinated. One night, he meets his new neighbour, a quiet young girl named Eli. Eli is also 12. Eli has been 12 for a very long time. She is a vampire, frequently forced to commit grisly acts lest her body begins to rot. Both are drawn to each other for similar but different reasons. Oskar gives Eli a sense of being understood that she hasn’t felt in lifetimes. Eli gives Oskar the same sense of connection, which in his case is an altogether new experience, awakening an inner strength he has never been aware of having. A strength that both will use to make his schoolyard tormenters pay.

Subversive and shocking, dreamlike and touching, hypnotic and horrific, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN is all of this and more. It follows the classical rules of vampire mythology, updating each of them in startling new ways, while hitting hard as both an outsider coming-of-age film and a mysterious love story that explores the darker side of adolescent alienation. Extraordinary performances, unforgettable scripting (by John Ajvide Lindqvist, adapted from his Swedish bestseller), masterfully controlled direction and stunning cinematography that makes particularly brilliant use of the contrasting of interior/exterior spaces come together in a perfect black storm. No wonder that JJ Abrams has become infatuated with the film and is trying to get a U.S. remake underway. Director Tomas Alfredson has emerged with an uncompromising masterpiece—and an instant classic of modern horror cinema.

And some pictures:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

You can download higher resolution versions of these and more at:

And you can look at the IMDb profile here:

The boy playing Oskar's name is Kåre Hedebrant. It appears to be his first film.
« Last Edit: 10. Jul 2009 at 23:26 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Let the Right One In (2008)
Reply #1 - 04. Jul 2008 at 03:42
Print Post  
You can watch the trailer here:

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 04. Jul 2008 at 14:48
Print Post  
I have heard a little bit about this one joseph and it certainly sounded unique. I don't know that I can recall any Swedish horror films of the past.

Will you be going to Fantasia to check it out?
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 17:07 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 04. Jul 2008 at 15:32
Print Post  
Yes, I probably will. I haven't really had time to look at the Fantasia program this year, but a friend of mine pointed out a few films she wanted to go see and this was one of them, so I'll probably go with her.

I noticed two other films that feature boys, though I don't think I'll be going to see them. One is called Tres Dias (Spanish for "Three Days," I believe, though the English translation of the title is "Before the Fall"). It's about the end of the world, or something. The other is called "Home Movie" and I haven't been able to find it on IMDb, but it stars Austin Williams - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

There may be more films featuring boy actors at the festival, but like I said, I haven't had time to look at it in detail. If anyone wants to check it out, the website is: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 06. Jul 2008 at 05:26
Print Post  
Zabladowski wrote on 04. Jul 2008 at 14:48:
I don't know that I can recall any Swedish horror films of the past.

Actually, I've see this one: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Another Swedish vampire movie. Wasn't very good, though.

PS: I got my ticket for Let the Right One In today.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #5 - 06. Jul 2008 at 18:14
Print Post  
My record is still intact... I have yet to see a Swedish vampire movie  Smiley
I hope you and the rest of your audience is able to generate some enthusiasm for this film so my streak can be broken.....
The trailer made the film appear to be watchable anyway.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 07. Jul 2008 at 04:07
Print Post  
I'm happy to report that this movie was amazing!

It's unlike any other film I've ever seen before. Although the theme of vampires might give the impression that it's a horror film, it really doesn't feel like the films of that genre that I've seen before. There are almost no scenes of violence or gore. Instead, the film focuses on the character of Oskar (the boy), his problems with the school bullies, and his relationship to the girl next door... who just happens to be a vampire.

The film is beautifully shot in that wonderful Scandinavian style - artful without being artsy - which I would be tempted to describe as "graceful." Lots of close-ups and subtle camera movements, long takes, beautiful cold colours - which make the occasional flashes of red (whether it's blood or a wool sweater) stand out strikingly.

The acting is top-notch.

My rating: 9/10.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 08. Jul 2008 at 15:43
Print Post  
After thinking some more about the film, discussing it with my friend who saw it with me, and doing a bit of research online, I realize that there's a whole other layer to this film that had sort of escaped me at first. But to discuss it means to reveal spoilers, unfortunately.

I'll just say it has to do with gender and sexuality. If anyone ever sees it, let me know and we can talk about it.

Also, apparently the book on which this is based is really good and goes into a lot more details about some of these themes which are only hinted at in the movie.

It's a bit harder to find from North American retailers, but with some digging around I'm sure it's not impossible. I might try to get my hands on a copy.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #8 - 09. Jul 2008 at 04:45
Print Post  
This additional insight doesn't change your exceptionally high rating any, does it?

I really hope I do get to see the film some day in a fest somewhere. Swedish dvds usually don't have English subs included.  Cry

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #9 - 09. Jul 2008 at 05:09
Print Post  
No, if anything it makes the movie more interesting.

Maybe the fact that the book was translated in English and sold well in the UK will increase chance of there being a DVD with English subtitles.

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #10 - 29. Jul 2008 at 05:21
Print Post  
It sounds much like BARNENS O, well the characters resemble one another, and a just a bit in the story (with horror added).

Thanks again Joseph.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #11 - 29. Jul 2008 at 06:20
Print Post  
The more I think about this movie, the more I want to see it again. It has a nice haunting quality that stays with you long after seeing it.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #12 - 30. Jul 2008 at 23:26
Print Post  
release date - October 24, 2008 (in Sweden)

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #13 - 17. Nov 2008 at 21:18
Print Post  
I loved this movie. it was so far the best I have seen all year.
Kåre Hedebrant did a great job he reminds me alot of Peter Bjerg form you are not alone.

i wil do a pic  comparrsion.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #14 - 17. Nov 2008 at 21:18
Print Post  
pic form you are not laone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print