Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic La Antena (2007) (Read 1,859 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

La Antena (2007)
06. Jul 2008 at 00:30
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Today I went to see this Argentinian movie at the Fantasia festival. I hadn't done a lot of research on it, so I didn't know what to expect. It turned out to be a very unusual and wonderful film in the tradition of silent films like Metropolis and the work of Melies, but with a modern twist.

Here's what the festival website synopsis says:

Quote:
The City has lost its voice. Quite literally, in fact. The residents of this nameless, retro-futuristic realm have lost their speech thanks to the insidious machinations of Mr. TV, the evil commercial giant who uses the hypnotic effect of his television programs to manipulate the general populace into buying his products. His technology is sharp, his power sure, his empire growing and growing, but more than any device, Mr. TV’s single greatest tool is the seductive power of the Voice, a beautiful woman who is the sole remaining resident of the City to retain the power to speak, and who Mr. TV blackmails into singing on television every night by promising to one day provide new eyes for her blind child. But stealing people‘s voices is not enough for Mr. TV. The scope of his business empire is never enough, no matter how large it grows. After the theft of their voices, the people of the City have communicated through silent speech—words spewing from their mouths in the form of stylized text—and now Mr. TV wants to steal their words too. The only hope of stopping Mr. TV’s plan lies with a poor electronics repairman, his young son and the Voice herself.

Get ready for a true visual treat with Argentina’s stunning LA ANTENA, a loving tribute to the futurist sci-fi of Fritz Lang with a healthy dose of modern political satire thrown in for good measure. Stunningly shot in sumptuous black and white, LA ANTENA could easily be a product of another time. It recaptures the early magic of film, the feeling that anything could be possible and that the only limits are those of the imagination. It is a film that knows newer is not always better, a film that beautifully recaptures the joy and magic of the past.

There's actually a mistake in there. The electronics repairman has a young daughter, not a young son. So the only boy actor in the film is the blind son of "the Voice." It's not a very large role, but an important one, and there are a few interesting scenes with him. Some pictures:

Note that the above pictures are still photographs taken on the set, not actual shots from the movie. I can tell, because in the film, the boy's eyes have been digitally removed. I couldn't find a screenshot of him as he appears in the film.

As I said, it's a very unusual film and I suspect it wouldn't be to everyone's tastes. But I certainly enjoyed it, so I recommend it to anyone who's not afraid to venture away from the mainstream. That is, if you ever get a chance to see it...

Links:

IMDb: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Trailer on YouTube: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Official website: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Re: La Antena (2007)
Reply #1 - 29. Jul 2008 at 05:17
Print Post  
Hence, the second photo (a studio shot) is not a scene from the film?

If it were, it'd be worth checking out just to see.

Thanks for the info on this one, Joseph.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: La Antena (2007)
Reply #2 - 29. Jul 2008 at 06:16
Print Post  
Thanks for replying!

No, the scenes depicted in both those photos are definitely in the film. They're just not the exact same shots as in the film. The last one was probably taken on the set during filming. Like I said, the boy's eyes have been digitally removed in the film. But otherwise, the shot is almost exactly the same as in the film. (As far as I remember.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print