Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) missing profiles? (Read 10,904 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

missing profiles?
01. Nov 2008 at 05:08
Print Post  
Maybe I'm going crazy. But I'm about 95% certain that not so long ago the following movies had profiles in the database:

The Baby of Mâcon (1993)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Proof (1991)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'm going through a personal list I compiled some time ago using this very database and those two films are on it. But when I search for them on the database, they don't show up.

There may be more I haven't discovered yet.

Any idea what happened to the profiles?

IP Logged

bardok
Bronze Member

BA Member

Re: missing profiles?
Reply #1 - 01. Nov 2008 at 06:03
Print Post  
I can confirm it, josephk. At least, in February 2008,
"The baby of Mâcon had number" 445 in Boyactor database and
"Proof (1991)" had number 115. The first has not been replaced; "Proof"  has been replaced by "Historia zóltej cizemki".

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 01. Nov 2008 at 14:00
Print Post  
Replaced!?

That's even crazier than I thought. How can new profiles be created to replace old profiles? I don't understand how this is even possible.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 15. Nov 2008 at 17:55
Print Post  
Any word from the admins on where the disappearing profiles went?

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #4 - 16. Nov 2008 at 12:40
Print Post  
Zab's probably the best person to answer this, but I know that a few entries have been culled from the database where they didn't justify have a full profile.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #5 - 18. Nov 2008 at 13:46
Print Post  
Quantum's answer is dead on.
In order to be in our database, an entry should have a leading role by a boy actor and an appropriate profile picture. Exceptions have been made when members have spent considerable effort in creating galleries for films that would not otherwise qualify under these standards.
There may still be films in the database presently that do not meet these standards. Over time those profiles will be addressed.

As to your specific examples, there doesn't seem to be much evidence that The Baby of Macon had a boy in a leading role (Nils Dorando is credited 22nd). I would re-list Proof if I could find a suitable picture for the profile. I have been told that Jeffrey Walker is given sufficient screen time to merit a watch.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 18. Nov 2008 at 18:10
Print Post  
Thanks for the explanation.

I remember there were discussions about removing profiles while I was an admin. Personally, I don't understand the point of deleting them. I understand the desire to concentrate on films that feature a lot of boy screen time, but if a profile is already there, it doesn't really hurt anyone to keep it there. Not like we're running out of server space.

Plus, I always feel that more information is better than none. If a movie features a boy, but not in a major role, I'd rather have a profile with that information on it. You can put that note in the description. That way, when I do some research on the film, I know what I'm getting into. Otherwise, I hear about Baby of Macon, check the database, find there is no information on it, and am left in the dark.

Well, that's just my take on it. I see your point, too. Just a different perspective.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 27. Nov 2008 at 13:50
Print Post  
I've seen Baby of Macon, and Nils Dorando has far more screen time than 22nd on the credit list would indicate. In fact he's probably the central character.  He is the Baby of Macon, and is actually not a baby, but a young boy, and from memory he's in quite a few scenes. However, it is one of those borderline films which may or may not deserve a place on the database. I think at one stage I had listed a bunch of titles to remove from the database, but I let this film remain but it was 50/50 to keep or remove. I was, however, very very close to removing it.

Jeffrey Walker is very much in a minor-ish supporting role in 'Proof'. From memory, his scenes would probably amount to little more than about 5 minutes. For the sake of consistency, I'd suggest not reinstating a profile for the movie.

Having said that I think Joseph has a good point to make, but if a line is not drawn somewhere, the number of movie profiles needing to be added would be overwhelming.

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #8 - 28. Nov 2008 at 00:28
Print Post  
Not wanting to step on any toes, but would it work to email the donator of a gallery that is going to be removed, letting him know it will shortly be taken down, and give him a chance to save any images he may want to keep.

Just a simple effort, that may save some hard feelings.

A few minutes, to avoid any problems.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #9 - 28. Nov 2008 at 00:53
Print Post  
Cal - I'm still working on that list; if I ever get sufficient free time I'll complete it.  Grin

Mike - Nothing with a gallery is being dumped, though certainly you make a good point were such a title to be removed. It is out of consideration to the work that was done that these titles are not even being considered for replacement.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #10 - 28. Nov 2008 at 17:21
Print Post  
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 27. Nov 2008 at 13:50:
I've seen Baby of Macon, and Nils Dorando has far more screen time than 22nd on the credit list would indicate. In fact he's probably the central character.  He is the Baby of Macon, and is actually not a baby, but a young boy, and from memory he's in quite a few scenes. However, it is one of those borderline films which may or may not deserve a place on the database. I think at one stage I had listed a bunch of titles to remove from the database, but I let this film remain but it was 50/50 to keep or remove. I was, however, very very close to removing it.

That's what I thought. I haven't watched the film yet, but I have a copy of it and my impression was that he was the main character and had quite a bit of screen time. Which is why I was surprised that it would have been deleted.

Quote:
if a line is not drawn somewhere, the number of movie profiles needing to be added would be overwhelming.

I agree. But again, there's a difference between deciding which movies to focus on when creating a new profile and actively going through the database looking for stuff to delete. If the concern here is that there are too many movies featuring boys and we don't have time to create profiles for all of them, then it seems that time would be better spent deciding which ones should be added rather than deleting "borderline" films like Baby of Macon.

Also, consider that someone might make a gallery one day. In which case, you'd have to re-do all this work just so you can put the gallery online.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #11 - 28. Nov 2008 at 17:48
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 28. Nov 2008 at 17:21:
Also, consider that someone might make a gallery one day. In which case, you'd have to re-do all this work just so you can put the gallery online.

Actually the work wouldn't need re-doing - all the information is still there on the server. The entry is just tagged as deleted, but can be easily undeleted should the need arise.

If you want to make a case for reinstating the Baby of Macon then I'm sure we can consider reinstating it (and it's a 30 second job to reinstate it)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #12 - 28. Nov 2008 at 18:51
Print Post  
Quantum wrote on 28. Nov 2008 at 17:48:
josephk wrote on 28. Nov 2008 at 17:21:

Actually the work wouldn't need re-doing - all the information is still there on the server. The entry is just tagged as deleted, but can be easily undeleted should the need arise.

If you want to make a case for reinstating the Baby of Macon then I'm sure we can consider reinstating it (and it's a 30 second job to reinstate it)

That's good to know. Maybe I'll make a case for it once I've seen it.

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #13 - 28. Nov 2008 at 20:25
Print Post  
Zabladowski wrote on 28. Nov 2008 at 00:53:
Cal - I'm still working on that list; if I ever get sufficient free time I'll complete it.  Grin

Mike - Nothing with a gallery is being dumped, though certainly you make a good point were such a title to be removed. It is out of consideration to the work that was done that these titles are not even being considered for replacement.  

Sorry about that Zab, I did actually mean to say profiles and as such.

Of course, we all know I never make mistooks  Smiley

Anyway, I think anything that could prevent a donor being upset, is a good thing to consider.

Thanks

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #14 - 15. Dec 2008 at 01:28
Print Post  
In "The Baby of Macon", the boy actor has as much screen time as other films listed here. 

He's quite young, and doesn't talk a lot in the film, so that might have contributed to the film's listing-demise.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print