Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Let the Right One In (Read 12,859 times)
hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Let the Right One In
02. Nov 2008 at 19:18
Print Post  
Let the Right One In

Presumably you will go and see it when it opens near you.
But...

(If you haven't read the book) try to go WITHOUT first reading reviews, watching trailers, etc.  That may be hard.  But it is worth it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Let the Right One In
Reply #1 - 03. Nov 2008 at 14:08
Print Post  
I agree.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 17. Nov 2008 at 21:11
Print Post  
just saw this on sunday. it was great.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #3 - 17. Nov 2008 at 22:37
Print Post  
gee wrote on 17. Nov 2008 at 21:11:
just saw this on sunday. it was great.

Now showing in about 17 cities in the US...

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #4 - 03. Jun 2009 at 14:34
Print Post  
Ha. Well, I finally found a thread for this movie. It appears that I am fashionably late as usual. I thought I saw this thread in here a while ago and was wondering what all the buzz was about on this forum about a vampire movie.

I finally rented it to see what all the fuss was about. To say the least it was not at all what I expected nor have ever seen in a vampire genre movie.

Of course, I could give a review of this film myself but I can see whatever there is to be said about this film has already been said. The only real thing I can add to this thread is that I was pleasently suprised by the movie and the fact that it wasn't just another rehash of the standard vampire movie but rather it being told through the eyes of a child and done primarily with the main characters being children and essentially turning out to be more of a boy movie than a horror movie.

I'm not going to pick the movie apart or pretend to be Siskil and Ebert. All I really care to say about the movie outside of what's been said already is that I enjoyed it and was entertained by it. I thought it was a rather refreshing take on an already overdone story.

Oskar is a definite cutie as are most scandanavian boys.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04. Jun 2009 at 04:04
Print Post  
Phenom wrote on 03. Jun 2009 at 14:34:
Ha. Well, I finally found a thread for this movie. It appears that I am fashionably late as usual. I thought I saw this thread in here a while ago and was wondering what all the buzz was about on this forum about a vampire movie.

I finally rented it to see what all the fuss was about. To say the least it was not at all what I expected nor have ever seen in a vampire genre movie.

Of course, I could give a review of this film myself but I can see whatever there is to be said about this film has already been said. The only real thing I can add to this thread is that I was pleasently suprised by the movie and the fact that it wasn't just another rehash of the standard vampire movie but rather it being told through the eyes of a child and done primarily with the main characters being children and essentially turning out to be more of a boy movie than a horror movie.

I'm not going to pick the movie apart or pretend to be Siskil and Ebert. All I really care to say about the movie outside of what's been said already is that I enjoyed it and was entertained by it. I thought it was a rather refreshing take on an already overdone story.

Hi Phenom,
You should check out my caps I submitted for this movie. Here's the link to the reviews. Click on Gallery.

I'm half way through reading the novel this movie is based upon and now I realize that reading the book greatly enhances the understanding of the movie. Much is explained in the book that is only hinted at or even omitted in the movie. The book is well worth reading on it's own anyway and I recommend it if you have time to read it. Also, the novel is different than the movie in places but the basic story is there.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 04. Jun 2009 at 04:49
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm half way through reading the novel

Be sure to read my comments in the review thread and tell me what you think after you've finished the novel.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #7 - 04. Jun 2009 at 08:49
Print Post  
Quote:
Phenom wrote on 03. Jun 2009 at 14:34:

Hi Phenom,
You should check out my caps I submitted for this movie. Here's the link to the reviews. Click on Gallery.

I'm half way through reading the novel this movie is based upon and now I realize that reading the book greatly enhances the understanding of the movie. Much is explained in the book that is only hinted at or even omitted in the movie. The book is well worth reading on it's own anyway and I recommend it if you have time to read it. Also, the novel is different than the movie in places but the basic story is there.

Yeah, I would have agreed and given the film the same rating. I wish that I did have the time or at least patience right now to read that and man other books.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #8 - 04. Jun 2009 at 11:43
Print Post  
There was one detail about in this movie that I didn't understand. Why was Eli neither a boy nor a girl. Why did Eli elude to the fact that she wasn't really a girl. Why did it appear in the one scene when Eli was changing clothes and Oskar peeked at her/him that Eli may have one time been a boy but seems to have a scar where his sexual organs should be. Is there some explination about this in Vampire lore?   Huh

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #9 - 04. Jun 2009 at 14:37
Print Post  
I explained all this int he other thread, which you also posted in, but I guess you didn't read. (This whole discussion should be in the other thread, since it is the review forum and meant for more in-depth discussion about films.)

SPOILERS

Quote:
The movie clearly shows that Eli is not a girl, but in fact a castrated boy. But it doesn't tell us how this happened. In the novel, flashbacks reveal that he was castrated and tortured by the sadistic vampire who eventually infected him. We also find out that his real name is Elias.

You should read the rest of my review of the book if you want info on additional details that are not clear in the movie.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #10 - 04. Jun 2009 at 14:52
Print Post  
Oh. Okay. Yeah, I did read 'some' of the other thread but not all of it. Or at least I didn't get to that part. Mostly just a lot of the personal opinions about the film as opposed to details about the film such as this. My bad. I'll check it out.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #11 - 04. Jun 2009 at 15:07
Print Post  
It's okay. I just didn't want to repeat myself here unnecessarily. Smiley

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #12 - 04. Jun 2009 at 15:41
Print Post  
Yeah, I just found that part of the tread and read every part of the discussion. Very interesting. Thanks for that.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #13 - 04. Jun 2009 at 16:14
Print Post  
In a related matter...I found it interesting when Eli first told Oskar that she was not a girl and if it mattered to him and/or if he still liked her. However, it didn't seem to bother him and he did still like her. I believe when the were in bed together later and Oskar asked Eli if she wanted to "go steady" with him she mentioned again that she was not a girl. It didn't seem to matter to Oskar weather she was a girl or a boy because he still asked Eli again if she/he wanted to go steady. And apparently she/he accepted.

I guess this also begs the question "what is really going on here 'as far as Oskar is concerned'." I have several theories about this but I would rather hear other people's opinions or takes on this aspect or additional layer of this film. Besides, I haven't been able to go sleep all night (again) and I really gotta get some rest. But that's another issue entirely.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #14 - 04. Jun 2009 at 16:43
Print Post  
I'm going to reply to this in the other thread, in an effort to keep discussion in one place.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print