Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) favorite boy actors year by year (Read 152,344 times)
hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Re: favorite boy actors year by year
Reply #30 - 04. Dec 2008 at 10:59
Print Post  

MØV OG FUNDER

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #31 - 04. Dec 2008 at 15:03
Print Post  
I haven't seen Hosenhaus' pick for 1991, but it does look like a good movie. I probably would've gone with the obvious Eddie Furlong in T2.

For 1993, I would have picked Max Pomeranc in Searching for Bobby Fischer.

We're already at 1990. I'll go with Julien Ciamaca, in La Gloire de mon père and Le Château de ma mère.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #32 - 04. Dec 2008 at 16:07
Print Post  
The years are flying by, my choices

1996 Lucas Black a strong performance in a weak year (my number 2 would have been Sam Bould).

1995 I too would have picked Joseph Mazzello over runners up Ovidiu Balan and Olivier Tuinier (De Tasjesdief). With a special supporting nod to Brendan Sexton III.

1994 I go with Chris Cleary Miles over Brad Renfro (The Client), and joseph's pick Elijah Wood. Ben Silverstone is my choice for supporting role here.

1993 I join joseph in selecting Max Pomeranc over Manuel Colao and Jesper Salén.

1992 I'll take Maarten Smit over Maxime Collin, and Johnny Morina. Ciro Esposito gets my supporting role mention in this year.

1991 I second hosenhaus' choice although it is a narrow victory in my book over Jordan Christopher Michael.

p.s. to joseph if you look over your collection of movies on disc, you just might find MØV OG FUNDER.  Wink

1990 Julien Ciamaca is my choice here as well over Joshua Murray, Sylvain Copans and Matthew Lawrence.
------------------------------------------------------------
1989 I'd opt for Vladimir Kosyrev in Freedom is Paradise over Regis Arpin, and Adnan Afravian. I thought Ian Hawkes (Queen of Hearts) was also memorable in that year.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #33 - 04. Dec 2008 at 16:23
Print Post  
Zabladowski wrote on 04. Dec 2008 at 16:07:
1992 I'll take Maarten Smit over Maxime Collin

As much as I hate that movie, I have to admit Maarten Smit's performance is pretty good. Still doesn't beat Maxime Collin in Léolo, though, which I think is probably my all-time favourite performance by a boy actor. The only one that might rival (for me) it is Anton Glanzelius in My Life as a Dog.

Quote:
p.s. to joseph if you look over your collection of movies on disc, you just might find MØV OG FUNDER.  Wink

Really? I think I lost that DVD. Sad I'm sure I'll find it again, though. But I have lots of movies I haven't seen yet...

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #34 - 05. Dec 2008 at 09:37
Print Post  
1988 Shafiq Syed in "Salaam Bombay" as best performance, however Amyas Godfrey was my favourite around that time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder if people are picking favourites or best actors in this thread.

Many of my favourites were actually TV actors, eg, for 1989/1990 I had Will Nipper as my favourite, but he was not what I considered the best actor in each year. Keegan MacIntosh was my favourite around 1993/1994.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #35 - 05. Dec 2008 at 11:11
Print Post  
Zabladowski wrote on 04. Dec 2008 at 16:07:
1989 I'd opt for Vladimir Kosyrev in Freedom is Paradise over Regis Arpin, and Adnan Afravian. I thought Ian Hawkes (Queen of Hearts) was also memorable in that year.

My choice for 1989 is

Michael Bacall

and competing performances are

François Driancourt

Regis Arpin , David Behar

What a great year that was!  Even now 20 years later, I still frequently re-watch these three movies.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #36 - 05. Dec 2008 at 11:17
Print Post  
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 05. Dec 2008 at 09:37:
1988 Shafiq Syed in "Salaam Bombay" as best performance

Wrong again, Cal.  It should be Benoît Magimel (and many others)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #37 - 05. Dec 2008 at 13:11
Print Post  
Hmm. I didn't know Hosenhaus had access to the absolute truth when it comes to favourite boy actors. Here I thought we were just having fun, but it turns out it's actually possible for us to be "wrong" about who we pick.  Roll Eyes

Well, I don't know if this will meet his approval, but my pick for 1987 is:

Gaspard Manesse in Au revoir les enfants.

Although, it's almost a tie with:

Pelle Hvenegaard in Pelle the Conqueror

And as another runner up, I'll mention:

Antoine Hubert in Le Grand chemin.

For 1989, I would've picked Régis Arpin in Je suis le seigneur du château.

For 1988 (I haven't seen a lot of good ones that year), I have to go with Lukas Haas in Lady in White.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #38 - 05. Dec 2008 at 13:55
Print Post  
I don't have much to add in 1988 or 1987 as I generally agree with joseph.

1988 I would choose Hamish McFarlane over Lukas Haas, Joshua Harris and Noam Zylberman.

1987 I would take Pelle Hvenegaard over Gaspard Manesse, Thomas Wilson Brown and Antoine Hubert.

-------------------------------------------------------------
This leaves me with 1986 where I go with Hugh O'Conor in Lamb over River Phoenix and Wil Wheaton in Stand By Me and Corey Haim in Lucas. Special mention here for Rene Carlisle in the short film The Rebellion of Young David.
-------------------------------------------------------------
cal, I'm struggling to think about why a "best" performance would not be among "favorites" for the year. Care to offer some examples of best performances which aren't your favorites?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #39 - 05. Dec 2008 at 14:06
Print Post  
People often make that distinction. I know on IMDb people constantly talked about "best" vs. "favourite" movies, etc.

Personally, I don't think it's possible to pick "best" anything, as there are too many subjective criteria that come into place. So I tend to use the two terms interchangeably, though I generally mean "my personal favourite".

But I can see how one would want to defend a choice by saying it's not necessarily the best but a favourite. I kind of feel that way about my pick of Freddie Highmore in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for 2005. There were definitely better movies that year and even better boy performances. But what made me pick Freddie that year is something beyond the performance - it has to do with me being a fan of him personally, of his whole career, looks, charisma, personality, charm, whatever.

(Maybe Cal has a different answer, but that's my take on it.)

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #40 - 05. Dec 2008 at 17:58
Print Post  
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "best" performance. There are quite a few films / performances that I really enjoy but I'd be the first to admit that they aren't particularly good Smiley Probably what you'd describe as "guilty pleasures"...

That said though, the title of this thread is "favo(u)rite boy actors" so perhaps "best" doesn't matter... Maybe we need a separate thread for best boy actors year by year Smiley

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #41 - 06. Dec 2008 at 08:55
Print Post  
1985 - My pick would be Lukas Haas in WITNESS.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #42 - 06. Dec 2008 at 09:58
Print Post  
Quote:
Maybe we need a separate thread for best boy actors year by year Smiley

That's been something I've had in mind forever, but not got around to it>   I'm thinking we could do a year by year, ie, each year has it's own thread. Posters could vote for, suggest, titles or actors for categories such as 'Favourite film, Best Film, Favourite Media Boy, Actor, Best Actor, etc,..

In this way people could continue to add opinios, votes or whatever, when they finally get to see a film or show. I'd eventually like to see a 'Best of' for each year right back to the silent era.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #43 - 06. Dec 2008 at 10:22
Print Post  
I hope I'm not being a party pooper here:

1984 Best:
Jason Presson            The Stone Boy      
Justin Henry            Martin's Day
Peter Billingsley            A Christmas Story
Ke Huy Quan            Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom
Huckleberry Fox            Misunderstood

Barrett Oliver was my favourite in  "Never Ending Story"      

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, BTW, I'm very disappointed that you lot overlooked Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun (1987)   Cry

Zab, I thought I did offer a distinction between 'favourite' and 'best'.
I mentioned that Will Nipper was my favourite around 1989/1990. However, I don't regard him as the best by a long way. I'd go for 1989 Salvatore Cascio  in 'Cinema Paradiso'

in 1990 I'd probably pick Anders Danielsen Lie in 'Herman', or Charlie Korsmo in 'Men Don't Leave' or Matthew Lawrence in 'Joshua's Heart', as well as other actors previously mentioned by other posters above.

for 1985 Anton Glanzelius 'My Life as a Dog' would get my nod just ahead of Lukas Haas, although Barrett Oliver in "DARYL" was my favourite.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #44 - 06. Dec 2008 at 13:52
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 05. Dec 2008 at 13:11:
my pick for 1987 is:
Gaspard Manesse in Au revoir les enfants.
Although, it's almost a tie with:
Pelle Hvenegaard in Pelle the Conqueror
And as another runner up, I'll mention:
Antoine Hubert in Le Grand chemin.

Good choices.  In 1987 there is also:

Sebastian Rice-Edwards

Gonzalo Morales

... a note ... we are now well into the territory where many movies (even good ones) were released on VHS (and perhaps also Laserdisk) and never re-released on DVD.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print