Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Nattlek (Read 14,090 times)
hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Nattlek
28. Dec 2008 at 22:51
Print Post  
(review submitted by Benjamin)

Nattlek ( AKA Night Games )

Director Maj Zetterling was already known as a gifted actress. With Nattlek she astonished the world by adding yet another masterpiece to Swedish films, worthy of Ingmar Bergman’s heritage.

The story is about Jan, a man soon to be married. In the estate he inherited from his extravagant mother he reminisces the events when he was 12.

Jörgen Lindström (14 at that time) plays young Jan in a beautiful role. It is such a pity that he didn’t pursue a career as an actor afterwards.
Nattlek is highly recommended. Secure your copy!

« Last Edit: 29. Dec 2008 at 03:23 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Nattlek
Reply #1 - 17. Jan 2009 at 05:08
Print Post  
An Interview with Swedish Child Actor Jorgen Lindstrom
June 15, 2005

Almost a year ago, 86-year-old auteur Ingmar Bergman announced his retirement from film, theater and television work after a long, distinguished career that spans almost six decades.
Widely considered by many film buffs and critics to be one of the most important figures in the history of film and one of the best directors in the world, his films like Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal, Persona and “Fanny and Alexander (to name a few) are often mentioned in numerous “best films of all time” lists.

He influenced filmmakers as varied as Woody Allen, Robert Altman and Steven Spielberg. His contribution to the art and language of cinema is unquestionably unparalleled.

Among his cinematic contributions is The Silence part of a film trilogy which also includes the films Through a Glass Darkly and Winter Light, an esoteric drama about two emotionally distant sisters and a little boy (who is the son of one of them) traveling into a strange city and staying in a strange hotel.

While there, the little boy goes into strange adventures involving an old man and performing midgets while the sisters struggle with their own personal inner demons. The little boy was played by child actor Jörgen Lindström. 

I recently came into contact with Mr. Lindström via the wonders of e-mail and the internet. I have recently seen ‘The Silence’ and ‘Persona’ and wanted to know more about the actors involved (especially Lindström since I found that he has not acted since the 1960’s and there was no immediate information on what he has been doing since) so I surfed the net and managed to locate the e-mail address of this (former) young actor.

Born in Nacka, Sweden in 1951, Jörgen Lindström is the youngest of three children.  He taught himself how to read at age 5 and his father saw his son’spotential called a Swedish radio station to ask if they needed a child for a play. They did.
He got the part and worked steadily in film, television and radio for the next ten years. He worked with Bergman no less than three times -- in addition to The Silence, he also had a one-line role in a television version of Ett Dromspel, directed by Bergman and of course a small but rather memorable appearance in one of Bergman’s most famous classics Persona as the boy at the end of the famous opening montage. (Which people say is actually the son of the character played by Liv Ullmann). 

In spite of having worked with one of the great masters of cinema on three occasions, it was only later on that he truly realized what a real privilege it was to work with Bergman and the rest of the cast and crew from these films.

His short but memorable acting career was even made more memorable by his second feature film after The Silence, his one and only non-Bergman theatrical release Night Games, which reunited him with his The Silence co-star Ingrid Thulin.

The film’s very frank depiction of sexuality (which even included a full-frontal nude scene from him) caused some controversy and even resulted in the resignation of film legend Shirley Temple from the panel of jurors in the film festival screening it since the festival organizers refused to withdraw the film.

“I don't think it was such a big deal”, Lindström remembers with a laugh, “I do remember reactions in the papers, people worrying about that poor kid, who would be ruined for life.  Well, I was 14 at that time, and not quite an innocent child any more. I can't remember being embarrassed or anything. In fact I remember walking about nude on the set between takes. I don't know.  In a way, I guess I was still a child and innocent about it all, in another way I also knew a bit about ‘the facts of life’” How does he feel about it now? “I think it's kind of funny. No big deal. I sort of enjoy telling friends who have not yet seen the movie that they will be able to see me in the nude. Haha!”

But his most famous on-screen was his roles with Ingmar Bergman who he remembers as a ‘very nice person’ who saw him in a television version of a radio play he was doing and pretty much handed him one of the roles in “The Silence” right then and there.

“As far as I know there was never talk of another actor for the part” he says“As far as I remember, I just sat in front of him in his room while he looked at me, and that was it”.
Just what was it exactly like to work in an Ingmar Bergman film set? “I remember that the atmosphere between takes was relaxed, but that the actual filming could be quite intense”, the now 53 year old Lindström reminisces. “I guess it was obvious to me, even at that young age, that this was serious, and important.”

Lindström’s final encounter with Bergman came in the form of a very brief cameo appearance right after the opening montage in the film many consider to be one of Bergman’s very best: “Persona”.

“Of course I'm not really ‘in’ that one.” Lindström says. “I only came in to the studio for a few hours, if I remember correctly, and did my ‘scenes’.” Those ‘scenes’ as he referred to them would be his final big screen appearance.

"I think basically I wasn't passionately interested in that world.” Lindström, on why he chose to cut his film acting career short. “I enjoyed it while it happened, but I never had an ambition to really become an actor. I think it's as simple as that.” 

continued  >

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 17. Jan 2009 at 05:09
Print Post  
After finishing school, Lindström accidentally found himself working in the film industry but in a film laboratory where he stayed for 24 years.
A lifelong bachelor and a long time fan of American musical icon Bob Dylan admits to having fond memories of his acting career in  Sweden but does he miss it? “No, I don't miss it. Never have, actually.”   Would he consider making a comeback?

“I think it’s a little too late for that”, he laughs.

Like Bergman, Lindström, too, is retiring this year but probably unlike the legendary filmmaker, Lindström says “I don't know what I will do for a living the rest of my life.”
He does however have a passion for music, “I've spent much of my free time listening to Bob Dylan, collecting the recordings, going to as many shows as I've been able to. I've seen 136 so far. So music, and friends, are the most important things in my life”   And movies: “I love David Cronenberg. Hal Hartley. Aki Kaurismäki. Alexander Payne. Bill Forsyth. I love most everything Billy Bob Thornton does. As for older stuff, I used to watch many movies by some of the great European directors in the 70's. Fellini, Antonioni. Buñuel and Pasolini. I've probably watched ‘Zabriskie Point’ dozens of times”

Since retiring from his short film career in his childhood, he has not kept in contact with Bergman or with any of the cast and crew from his acting days.

Do people still recognize him from his acting days even after all these years? “It happens, but very rarely. It's mostly new friends who happen to sit and watch ‘The Silence’ without knowing I'm in it”, he recalls. “So it's a part of my history, a part I'm very glad to have.”

Now that Ingmar Bergman has finally retired from work, does Jörgen Lindström have anything to say to him after all these years should he have the chance to reunite with him: "Why not make one last movie, Ingmar? 'Return of The Silence'!", he jokes but adds in a more serious note, quoting a lyric from a Bob Dylan song: "Time is an ocean, but it ends at the shore/You may not see me tomorrow."

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #3 - 27. Jan 2009 at 06:24
Print Post  
hosenhaus wrote on 28. Dec 2008 at 22:51:
Jörgen Lindström (14 at that time) plays young Jan in a beautiful role. It is such a pity that he didn’t pursue a career as an actor afterwards.
Nattlek is highly recommended. Secure your copy!

It's a shame that there is no mention of this movie in the database for others to post ratings or comments... or that no one seems be agreeing or disagreeing with you.  But, I believe you well enough and I'm searching for my copy now!

Thanks for the memo!

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #4 - 18. Feb 2009 at 16:39
Print Post  
Well, SUCCESS!  I have finally been able to get my hands on a copy, and it was well worth the effort.  Jörgen was 14 then?!  Wow, I guess he was a bit behind the curve; he certainly fit the role as a 12-year old perfectly, with plenty of evidence.

My copy didn't have English sub-scripts (not a problem for me...) but I imagine they're available.

And someone mentioned that we might be able to make a profile for this movie if there were some appropriate images?  Hmmm... I guess I can work on that, now!

(this is just a teaser cap... others on the way)
« Last Edit: 18. Feb 2009 at 19:48 by TheSwede »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 18. Feb 2009 at 17:27
Print Post  
"with plenty of evidence"

Huh

Persona came out the same year and he does look young for a 14-year-old. I would love to see him in a more substantial role than his brief (albeit memorable) appearance in the bizarre opening sequence of Persona.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #6 - 18. Feb 2009 at 22:27
Print Post  
TheSwede wrote on 18. Feb 2009 at 16:39:
And someone mentioned that we might be able to make a profile for this movie if there were some appropriate images?

Actually, I think the reason for no profile here is probably that the movie is primarily about the adults and not the child.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #7 - 18. Feb 2009 at 23:21
Print Post  
hosenhaus wrote on 18. Feb 2009 at 22:27:
Actually, I think the reason for no profile here is probably that the movie is primarily about the adults and not the child.

Well, that's true enough... he's certainly in less than half of the movie - maybe a third.  But what an exceptional bit that is! It's obviously someone else's call, but I (for one) would vote for inclusion... but I also see your point.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #8 - 19. Feb 2009 at 00:11
Print Post  
I haven't added primarily due to the lack of a suitable picture (i.e. 350X500 with Jorgen figuring in it). It is also true that Jorgen is not the leading character but his time is sufficient enough in my view, that if a usuable picture surfaces, I would consider making a profile.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #9 - 19. Feb 2009 at 03:18
Print Post  
Zabladowski wrote on 19. Feb 2009 at 00:11:
I haven't added primarily due to the lack of a suitable picture (i.e. 350X500 with Jorgen figuring in it). It is also true that Jorgen is not the leading character but his time is sufficient enough in my view, that if a usuable picture surfaces, I would consider making a profile.

That's good enough for me... I'll start on those caps.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #10 - 19. Feb 2009 at 21:31
Print Post  
A scene from the film:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #11 - 21. Feb 2009 at 17:15
Print Post  
I notice that Jörgen's name (in the actor link) has all the "DOTS" now!  

It was: Jorgen Lindstrom
Now:    Jörgen Lindström

Thanks, someone!  (that's just a small detail, but for us "Swedes" it's pretty important! Thanks again.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print