Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Romulus, My Father (Read 2,644 times)
Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Romulus, My Father
18. Apr 2009 at 08:52
Print Post  
I enjoyed this movie a great deal. Kodi's performance is at least worth 9 out of 10 stars. The cast is magnificent, Eric Bana is mature and rock solid as Romulus Gaita, a hard working man who (if I remember correctly) originally comes from Romania. He left Europe some time ago with his German wife Christina (Franka Potente) and settled in Australia with two Romanian brothers, obviously his best friends from back home, to establish a new life. Then things just go wrong, Christina has a thing for a other men and eventually falls for one of the two brothers, Mitru, and moves in with him. She occasionally returns to see Rai (Kodi Smit-McPhee). Hora, the other brother, is a central figure for me, a character who is always there when Rai needs him. He takes care of him after Romulus has an accident, he introduces him to philosophy, he is a wise and loyal friend to Romulus and in the end, as it turns out, the only person who never lets Rai down. The main story is about the family falling completely apart. I won't go into details here, but it is real tragedy that ensues, and everything is seen through the boy's eyes. He is a natural charmer, a smart kid with one endearing smile and character. The father-son bond is the strongest theme in the movie, because it is central in almost every moment. There are heart-breaking moments, never too melodramatic to spoil the gritty realism of the story. You get a wonderful Australian countryside, a setting in the early 60s, and an almost classic family story about coming to terms with love, courage and the enduring promise of hope. I found all performances to be extremely honest and mature, and with Kodi's character guiding you through the various tragic events with heart-breaking innocence, boyish opportunism and with complete devotion to his mother and father, the story attains a fine level of quality and a huge emotional undertone, where depression and inspiration are never far apart.

Trailer: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Romulus, My Father
Reply #1 - 18. Apr 2009 at 11:10
Print Post  
Thanks for the well written review.

I rated the film 9/10.  Having been brought up in similar circumstances with many similar events, some of the scenes seemed like it was my own life I was watching. I felt that it was 100% believable, with excellent performances all round. Kodi is wonderful. The only criticism I have is that events in the later part of the movie were too rushed. I'd have preferred the movie to have been about a half hour longer.

IP Logged

Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 18. Apr 2009 at 11:31
Print Post  
I was on the verge of giving it a 9 too, and I'll probably upgrade it in a few days if it stays so present in my thoughts.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 08. Mar 2011 at 22:55
Print Post  

Smiley I have the DVD of this movie which I saw the other day with many manu pleasure. The play of Kodi SMIT-McPHEE in part of Raymond is very good and moving.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print