Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Rails & Ties (2007) (Read 4,453 times)
Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Rails & Ties (2007)
12. May 2009 at 23:39
Print Post  

I watched this movie yesterday. It is full of emotional pain and sadness, for death and loss are the main themes.

Here's a review I have found at imdb. Be aware of spoilers:
Kevin Bacon is such a good actor! He makes it look so easy. He does such a good job of transferring the character's emotions and personal thoughts without words. You find yourself wondering how you might react in his shoes. This is a great example where a movie can tell a wonderful story. A 12 year old boy's mother commits suicide using a train wreck to end her miserable life. They really don't let us understand her reason for her pain and suffering but we get to see that she is determined to take her son with her. The boy escapes from the car on the tracks at the last moment, choosing to live after exhausting all of his options to save his mother before the train hits the car. The engineer is Kevin Bacon who has no choice but to hit the car. His wife is dying from bone cancer and their relationship is committing suicide. Everyone in this plot is in terrible emotional pain and suffering! The parallel stories compare the two lives and how they survive the crash.
After the accident the boy runs away from foster care to confront Kevin Bacon about killing his mother. The boy is touched by Kevin Bacon's wife who extends he unconditional compassion and love. She feels for him. She is trying to heal both Kevin and her pain by loving the boy. Against his will he allows the boy to hide out instead of going back to foster care. Kevin Bacon is risking his career for his wife's happiness proving he loves her more than his trains and career. They are healing each other. Meanwhile, he is under investigation and he is feeling guilty about the crash, his wife and his life. The boy forgives him, his wife forgives him and he forgives himself. Everyone faces their own pain in their own way, the tragedy proves to be "the only way" for them to over come their pain and realize that love is a great gift no matter how it comes.

What touched me the most is that despite the very very sad undertone caused by the omnipresence of death, both Kevin Bacon (Tom) and Miles Heizer (Davey), by fully embracing their pain and accepting death, are able to gain strength and really start living. What do I mean by this? Tom and Davey are confronted with the ultimate pain of losing or having lost their most beloved people in life. This is a heavy burden to carry. Whenever you see Tom, you see my wife is dying of cancer and I can't do anything about it written in his face. In Davey's case it's I have just lost my mom. That's a very depressing situation for both of them, where despair mingels with desperation, anger and emptiness. Both of them are on the verge of losing everything and yielding to the pain. However, from the moment Davey starts to live with Tom and his wife Megan, a subtle healing process is initiated. I very much agree with the reviewer above, Megan is healing Tom and herself when she decides to take in and look after Davey. For Davey it is not only a path at the end of which he can forgive the man who he deemed responsible for the death of his mother, it is also a path into a better future that allows him to leave death and pain behind and start his young life anew. The death of his mom allowed him to meet Tom and Megan and by the most unlikely circumstances he grows very close with them. When Megan's condition deteriorates and she is about to die, he blames himself and thinks God is punishing him. He has to accept death again, and this time it hurts just as much. However, he has found a place to be, he has found love, and although he is losing a most beloved person again, by embracing death and the pain, he wins a new life at Tom's side, a better life then he would have ever thought he would live.
As for Tom, his life is already falling apart before the fateful accident. His wife is dying, he has no children, and when Davey shows up, he risks losing his job. You can feel the emptiness inside of him in every moment, which is grand acting on Kevin Bacon's part. Tom's working mate actually reproaches him for being dead inside. He is really not interested in Davey when he knocks on his door. Yet he realizes that Megan finds a lot of comfort in taking the boy in. Tom and Davey confront each other and their pain, they slowly establish a most unlikely bond, and at the time Megan is dying, they have found a new meaning in life. They help each other out, they overcame their individual pain, which becomes a common pain, and from this common pain they are able to rise together. Death has given both of them a new life, a new meaning in life, and at the very end they are stronger than they ever were and ready to usher into a future that, growing out from so much depression and sadness, holds the promise of life and love and the prospect of happiness.
« Last Edit: 10. Jul 2009 at 23:21 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Re: Rails & Ties
Reply #1 - 13. May 2009 at 12:14
Print Post  
Someone might like to link this forum entry to the profile page.  Wink

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #2 - 14. May 2009 at 02:05
Print Post  
Yes, it was a very, very good movie.  I saw it recently too.  In fact, I uploaded some caps, but they have dutch subtitles, and the quality is only so-so.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (If / when the caps are transfered to the movie profile, this link will need to be changed.)

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #3 - 14. May 2009 at 02:40
Print Post  
Can post some good screen-caps from this one, but need to locate the dvd in the collection.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Rails & Ties (2007)
Reply #4 - 13. Nov 2010 at 22:28
Print Post  
Smiley I saw this beautiful movie where Miles HEIZER  in part of Davey  is  fabulous and  very moving in his play. Unfortenely, this movie is unknow in France !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print