Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Movie and TV Show viewing and ownership status (Read 13,472 times)
Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Movie and TV Show viewing and ownership status
23. May 2009 at 16:27
Print Post  
There's a new function on the main database site. You can now record whether you own or have seen a particular movie or TV show...

You'll get your own personal smiley face showing your status on the movie pages, and on the movie lists:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

To change your status, click on the "Show/Hide" text to display the options for changing your status:

Then click on the option you want to update your personal setting and save the data to the database.

This function relies on AJAX to speed things up and avoid having to reload the page, so you will need to make sure that Javascript is turned on...

It should work in most modern browsers (I've tested it in Firefox 3 and IE 8...)

If you don't like it, and want to get rid of this function, then you can turn it off in your preferences...

Obviously, if you're not logged in to the database site, then none of this will show up either Smiley

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Movie and TV Show viewing and ownership status
Reply #1 - 23. May 2009 at 17:31
Print Post  
This is a very cool feature, potentially very useful.

I've always hoped for something like a wishlist feature where we could list the movies we most want to see. This almost does it, except that by default every movie in the database is listed as "Have no seen".

Is it possible to change everything to the more neutral "I'm not interested" so that I can then select only the ones I'm interested in seeing with the red icon?

And once you've selected some movies for each category, can you then view them as a list?

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #2 - 23. May 2009 at 18:28
Print Post  
I'm actually planning on adding a separate wishlist feature

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #3 - 23. May 2009 at 19:17
Print Post  
To me, it makes more sense to have the grey "straight smiley" mean "I haven't seen this" and the red "unhappy" face to mean "I'm not interested" ... but maybe that's just me.

Otherwise, I like the idea, and look forward to the wishlist feature, too!

PS.  Is this going to be a searchable field?  Can I find all movies, for example, that I've already seen, or that I'm not interested in, etc?

PPS.  Wouldn't it be easy enough to make it so that every movie we've rated, at least, has "I've seen this"?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 23. May 2009 at 20:28
Print Post  
I'll probably wait for the wishlist feature, then, and probably turn this one off in the meantime. I don't really know how to use it for my needs. I already have a list of all the films I've seen because I try to rate every movie I see.

As for the red vs grey, I think the idea is that the red/unhappy faces are supposed to be a signal that you should be taking steps toward seeing those films and turning the frown into a happy face. Whereas the grey/neutral faces just mean that you're indifferent, so you can ignore them. So to me the current system makes sense. It's just that I would like the default to be the neutral, so that I can only put select choices into the red to-see list. Otherwise, I have 2000+ entries in the database that are red and I can't see myself manually going through every one of them to switch them around.

IP Logged

Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 24. May 2009 at 12:55
Print Post  
So far it's "error saving data" whenever I try to change the smileys.

And ya, an "have seen" smiley would indeed be nice for those movies you have already rated - saves lots of time working through all of your titles.

The concept as such meets with my approval.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #6 - 24. May 2009 at 15:26
Print Post  
What browser are you using (including version). The Error saving data response should only occur if the necessary variables aren't passed through to the script. Two of the three variables are passed directly in the request, and the third comes out the session, the details of which should be passed by the cookie. If you're getting an error, then something isn't being passed correctly (most likely the session cookie...)

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #7 - 24. May 2009 at 18:27
Print Post  
It should now be automatically tagging anything you've reviewed as "seen" (unless you've already tagged it as something else).

IP Logged

starchild
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 24. May 2009 at 22:43
Print Post  
This automatic tagging thing makes alot more sense and is alot better. This way we can easily see what we've reviewed and seen without having to go around and change everything ourselves. I haven't had enough time to do much of anything lately and I agree with josephk. I just can't see myself having the time to go around and manually change everything myself. So yeah, this automatic tagging thing is a great idea.   Cool 

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #9 - 25. May 2009 at 00:38
Print Post  
Agreed, this makes the feature much better and more useful. I turned it back on.

What I like about it is that I can now browse through any list in the database (alphabetical, by genre, etc.) and see at a glance which movies I've seen. (I can also see if there's a movie that I've seen and forgot to review.)

Now what would make it amazing is if I could click on the icons from the list and change some of the titles to "not interested" without having to click on the profile. That might not be possible, but it would be really awesome.

In any case, thanks for the added feature.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #10 - 25. May 2009 at 05:26
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 25. May 2009 at 00:38:
Now what would make it amazing is if I could click on the icons from the list and change some of the titles to "not interested" without having to click on the profile.

I was thinking the same thing.  I tried it (naturally) before I realized I had to open the actual movie file.  I guess it was just wishful thinking... but if it's not TOO difficult, it's also something for the "would be very nice" list!

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #11 - 25. May 2009 at 07:32
Print Post  
Very neat new feature. Most valuable for me in noting at a glance which movies I have reviewed. (I often forget even having seen a film!)

Since my actual collection is so small I have no problem remembering which ones I own.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #12 - 25. May 2009 at 12:18
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 25. May 2009 at 00:38:
Now what would make it amazing is if I could click on the icons from the list and change some of the titles to "not interested" without having to click on the profile. That might not be possible, but it would be really awesome.

That's done now - it should all be working. If you click on the red smiley in the various lists, it will turn grey and your status set to Not Interested. If you want to set it to either Own or Seen, you'll still need to do this via the movie or TV show profile.
Anyway, it all looks to be working correctly Smiley

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #13 - 25. May 2009 at 20:19
Print Post  
Quantum wrote on 25. May 2009 at 12:18:
That's done now - it should all be working. If you click on the red smiley in the various lists, it will turn grey and your status set to Not Interested. If you want to set it to either Own or Seen, you'll still need to do this via the movie or TV show profile.

That's pretty cool.  I *was* going to suggest having it cycle through the values, but since you have it automatically say "seen" if I've reviewed it, and if I want to make it "seen" on that list, I SHOULD visit the movie page and leave a review!!!

By the way, will it "update" the status simply by adding a review, or should we have to do both from now on?

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #14 - 25. May 2009 at 20:55
Print Post  
TheSwede wrote on 25. May 2009 at 20:19:
By the way, will it "update" the status simply by adding a review, or should we have to do both from now on?

Yes - if you add a review to a movie, it will automatically recognise that you've seen it. You don't have to set that separately as well (although you can if you want, and if you want to be "own" rather than "seen" you'll need to set that manually)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print