Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic The Mystical Adventures of Billy Owens (Read 6,480 times)
Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

The Mystical Adventures of Billy Owens
10. Aug 2009 at 12:04
Print Post  
I just rented this movie tonight called "The Mystical Adventures of Billy Owens." It would appear by the notation at the end of the movie "to be continued" that there is a sequel to the movie. Since there was a preview of it on the DVD that assumption seems to be correct. Looks like it might be even better than the first one. I looked for this movie and its starring actor in the database but I couldn't find it. Therefore, I will provide you with a brief introduction to it here.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"The day he turns 11, Billy's (Dalton Mugridge) life changes forever when he discovers William Thurgood's (Roddy Piper) Treasure Trove & Pawn Shop and picks up a magic wand. His life soon fills with magical creatures and haunted caves. With the help of his friends, Devon (Christopher Fazio) and Mandy (Ciara O'Hanlon), Billy must learn to control his new powers and battle evil in this enchanting children's fantasy adventure."

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Re: The Mystical Adventures of Billy Owens
Reply #1 - 10. Aug 2009 at 21:41
Print Post  
So it's worth seeing then? From the UK DVD cover it looked like a cheap production (not to mention a rip-off of Harry Potter).

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #2 - 10. Aug 2009 at 23:16
Print Post  
see previous thread here ...  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #3 - 11. Aug 2009 at 01:02
Print Post  
Oops. Sorry about that. I searched for both the movie title and actors but didn't get any hits so I decided to post the thread. My bad.

Yeah, it is a bit of a low budget film and it does appear to be somewhat of a rip-off from Harry Potter. Yeah, I know IMBD probably gave it a low rating as it surely isn't a Harry Potter level film. But then again how many people on IMBD are boylovers or whatever. So most may not appreciate something simple or low budget just for the pleasure of watching beautiful boys learning and practicing their craft. I somewhat enjoyed it and their is a second one coming out (or maybe out already considering how slow I am) which looks better quality from the preview. Well, I guess if you just set me on the floor with a couple of balls to play with I'd be entertained for hours. (Not such a bad idea now that I think about it)

Oh well, better luck next time I guess.  Sad

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 11. Aug 2009 at 03:55
Print Post  
IMDB ratings are beyond low.

Your post is timely; I believe the film was just released on DVD. It is on my list of things to see, but my enthusiasm to actually watch it will depend on the reviews of those get to it before I do.

I created the profile right away while it's on my mind.
A double feature of low budget direct to video films Billy Owens and Tommy the Cool Mule have just been added to the database; has anyone seen that second one yet?

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #5 - 17. Aug 2009 at 04:04
Print Post  
Zabladowski wrote on 11. Aug 2009 at 03:55:
IMDB ratings are beyond low.

Your post is timely; I believe the film was just released on DVD. It is on my list of things to see, but my enthusiasm to actually watch it will depend on the reviews of those get to it before I do.

I created the profile right away while it's on my mind.
A double feature of low budget direct to video films Billy Owens and Tommy the Cool Mule have just been added to the database; has anyone seen that second one yet?

I would say that it is a Nickelodian style and level movie. Dalton is a cutie though.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 19. Aug 2009 at 18:51
Print Post  
I've got both "...Billy Owens", and "...the Cool Mule" but haven't got around to watching either one yet.

IMDb rating do suck, IMO, there is nothing wrong with lowish budget kids movies, as long as the acting is half decent and the dialogue is not patronizing and preachy.

Any movie that has a boy wizard is going to be regarded as a Harry potter rip-off, especially if they go to a wizard's school. I think it's a legitimate genre.

I think there is a pretty large band of IMDb hooligans that spend half their time rating movies with a 1/10 even when they haven't seen the film.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #7 - 28. Oct 2009 at 16:19
Print Post  
Ok... so there is no "official" feedback on the BA movie database (hint hint for anyone who's watched it)...

But there are some Rapidshare links to get this movie from (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) if anyone is interested!

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 01. Jul 2011 at 21:05
Print Post  
Oops! I had no idea 'The Mystical Adventures of Billy Owens' had already been reviewed by august members of BA back in 2009. Because of that I have posted a review separately. I do think your comments are being too kind to the film in general. While I agree Dalton Mudridge is cute and a fairly good actor, the film was dire, cheap and amateurish. How they could even contemplate a sequel to this rubbish defies belief. The director, Mark MacNabb, deserves to hang his head in shame and go back to directors school. Perhaps he could get some tips from fellow Canadian director, David Schultz, who directed the great boy film 'Jet Boy'.
However, this does go to show that even the most poor, obscure, boy film from Canada doesn't escape BA.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print