Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Connor Dunn (Read 17,199 times)
K
Ex Member

Re: Connor Dunn
Reply #15 - 11. Dec 2009 at 04:21
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 10. Dec 2009 at 17:35:
I don't know. I've been posting here since 2002, so maybe my confrontational attitude just comes from years of being misunderstood. It seems that everyone likes to point fingers at me for "causing drama," even when all I'm trying to do is have a harmless conversation. (Or in some cases, saying "I'm going to review these films" and later saying "Sorry, I'm too busy." That apparently qualifies as "drama" here.)

Or maybe I'm just a total asshole. I don't know.

I should just shut up.

I apologize for being confrontational or causing any disturbance or being an all-around jerk.

After having posted here (on and off) since 2005 I feel I've gotten to know you well enough Josephk to know that you are a good guy who is opinionated and knows what he likes and dislikes and believes in 'telling it like it is'. It occurs to me that all of those same traits can (I believe) be applied to me also. So I feel I'm in good company.
I think I 'get' you better than you think I do and even though you and I may disagree sometimes, you are OK in my book.

Now, to change the subject...being from Montreal, what are your feelings about the movie Montreal Main?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #16 - 11. Dec 2009 at 06:43
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 10. Dec 2009 at 20:03:
I wonder if 'Josephk' could reduce the size of that large siggy of his. Every time I scroll down it slows up at that picture!

I'm trying to reupload it as a smaller version, but for some reason it's not working. I'll try again tomorrow. Sorry.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #17 - 11. Dec 2009 at 06:49
Print Post  
Thanks for the support, K. (I really don't want this thread to be about me, though, so I'll just leave it at that.)

Quote:
Now, to change the subject...being from Montreal, what are your feelings about the movie Montreal Main?

I haven't seen that movie. I know of it, and my impression is that it doesn't look very good, but obviously the subject matter interests (both because of the story and because of the location). I guess I'll check it out eventually. Just haven't had the opportunity yet. Have you seen it?

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #18 - 11. Dec 2009 at 07:51
Print Post  
Crikey Joseph! I rather liked this thread actually, I find opinions interesting. I think you are probably the most sensitive guy that posts here, and I don't mean that in a bad way. You remind me of a guerilla fighter who throws a grenade from behind a rock on the top of a hill and then claims he was merely a bystander  Smiley  Please don't read that the wrong way, I mean it in a very light hearted manner.

As for Montreal Main, it's certainly very interesting and well worth checking out, but the acting and production is at best semi-professional.

IP Logged

OrionPax
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #19 - 11. Dec 2009 at 08:47
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 10. Dec 2009 at 17:35:
I apologize for being confrontational or causing any disturbance or being an all-around jerk.

I remember I used to be a real jerk years ago too (you said so yourself  Wink ) so you might just be going through an angry phase like I did, over the years you'll learn to be more diplomatic and handle things in more tactful manner, yeah I'm still an opinionated asshole but these days I do it in a nice way rather than steamrolling everyone in my path.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #20 - 11. Dec 2009 at 13:57
Print Post  
OrionPax, if I remember correctly, you and I are the same age. So I don't know how you can say "Over the years you'll learn...." Maybe our lives are just taking different paths. Maybe I'll get angrier and more bitter until nobody can stand to be around me at all.  Shocked

No offence taken, Cal, but I disagree with your analogy. That sounds like a pretty dishonest thing to do, and I'd like to think that I am at least an honest man. I will grant you that I am perhaps overly sensitive, though.

I'm sure I could write a lot of paragraphs about why I say or do the things I do and what I think of myself and my behaviour and whatever psychological and emotional problems I may or may not have, but like I said, I don't want this thread to be about me (anymore).

TheSwede's answer angered me because I was asking an honest question and both Cal and I said that we were not implying that he'd said anything wrong. We were just interested to know where that term came from and how and why people use it the way they do. Just a little bit of linguistic curiosity. But instead of entering into a dialogue like we were inviting him to do, he made it seem like he had offended us and we were persecuting him. In a different context, I might not have reacted the way I did. But this seems to be what happens every time I open my mouth here, so it's a little annoying.

But let's move on and put this whole thing behind us.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #21 - 11. Dec 2009 at 15:16
Print Post  
Tea and scones anybody?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #22 - 11. Dec 2009 at 15:42
Print Post  
I'm having tea right now. Scones would be nice.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #23 - 11. Dec 2009 at 17:56
Print Post  
Well, I hope nobody thinks *I* took offense. 

Besides, I should have known to avoid saying something as nationalistic as "All-American" !  *I* should be the one apologising (to use the British form of the word, to show how sincere I am in NOT being an egotistical American)!

Anyway... tea and scones sounds great.  Right now I've just got coffee and toast!

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #24 - 11. Dec 2009 at 22:49
Print Post  
You're still missing the point. (This really has nothing to do with nationalism.) But okay.
« Last Edit: 12. Dec 2009 at 00:33 by josephk »  

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 12. Dec 2009 at 03:02
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 11. Dec 2009 at 06:49:
Thanks for the support, K. (I really don't want this thread to be about me, though, so I'll just leave it at that.)

Quote:

I haven't seen that movie. I know of it, and my impression is that it doesn't look very good, but obviously the subject matter interests (both because of the story and because of the location). I guess I'll check it out eventually. Just haven't had the opportunity yet. Have you seen it?

Yes, I've seen it. I have a DVD which is a transfer from a TV broadcast and the picture quality is very dark and grainy but still very watchable. I also recently purchased the newly released, remastered official DVD. The picture quality on this DVD is excellent considering it's age and that it was shot on 16mm film and had an extremely low budget. It is in color too.

The first time I watched it I thought the story is very interesting as it explores a subject almost never told in an objective, non judgmental way. I felt it was a pretty realistic portrayal of how some relationships are. It also looks at the relationship from both the man's and the boy's point of view. If you can look past the low budget and grainy, film school type of look, it is a fascinating and well made movie. I highly recommend it.

Here's a link to the site where you can purchase the DVD. Also, I posted (months ago) lots of caps here which are in the movie database. Check out the brief video clips from the movie at this site for a taste of what it's like.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #26 - 12. Dec 2009 at 06:18
Print Post  
I kinda like the androgynous look, there was a period in the 70s when it became rather fashionable for young men and boys to display their feminine side.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #27 - 12. Dec 2009 at 17:41
Print Post  
Connor Dunn must be some actor.
Already his thread is through the second page.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #28 - 12. Dec 2009 at 19:05
Print Post  
Who's Connor Dunn?

Stay on topic, Hosenhaus.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #29 - 12. Dec 2009 at 22:33
Print Post  
hosenhaus wrote on 12. Dec 2009 at 17:41:
Connor Dunn must be some actor.
Already his thread is through the second page.

That's what I was thinking! 28 (now 29) replies...not bad  Smiley

Fear not joseph, I'm not going to scold you.  Kiss
I agree with cal and Orion on the subject of posts veering offtopic. Sometimes an offtopic drift can promote more conversation than the starting point ever would have. This thread being an example of that. 

Giving your question a more serious answer, joseph. It appears that you aren't the only one asking this question....

I can't find anyone that will state this, but it seems like this phrase came from a radio show hero of the 1930's.

Nowadays it has many uses including marketing the spread of Christianity!  Shocked

Cal and joseph have demonstrated that many other nationalities have similar terms. I suppose their terms, like ours, keep changing as the times do. Cinefan's description of what the term conjures up in his mind is straight out of the 1950's or 1960's for me. Globalization makes me wonder if these terms will all fade away eventually.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Print