Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Connor Dunn (Read 17,198 times)
hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Connor Dunn
07. Dec 2009 at 22:55
Print Post  
some caps from King of Hearts

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

also with Burkely Duffield

« Last Edit: 08. Dec 2009 at 10:13 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Re: Connor Dunn
Reply #1 - 08. Dec 2009 at 00:18
Print Post  
Wow...  Berkley looks like an "All-American" kind of kid.... me likes!

thanks for the caps, hh!

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 08. Dec 2009 at 03:48
Print Post  
TheSwede wrote on 08. Dec 2009 at 00:18:
looks like an "All-American" kind of kid....

I never understood what that was supposed to mean.

Can you be "all American" and black? How about "all American" and gay? Or "all American" and Muslim? What makes this kid look all American, as opposed to other kids that presumably look only partially American?

Sorry. Not trying to pick a fight. It's just an expression that I don't understand.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 08. Dec 2009 at 03:51
Print Post  
Worse than that..... Burkely is Canadian!    Grin

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 08. Dec 2009 at 03:52
Print Post  
lol

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #5 - 09. Dec 2009 at 00:07
Print Post  
So, he's All North American  Wink

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 09. Dec 2009 at 05:17
Print Post  
What does the term 'All American' mean?

We have a term here in Australia: it is "true blue".

Being 'true blue' mean that you are a fair dinkum aussie. Now that carries some interesting questions? Is an immigrant true blue once they have become naturalised, what about moslems, could a moslem wearing a hijab be considered true blue?

Does a true blue aussie have to play cricket, refer to women as shelias and prefer drinking a few beers with his mates? Can you be gay and true blue, can you eat quiche?

I wonder if the term "All American boy" carries a load of questionable baggage as does the term "true blue". There's something about those sort of terms that makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I'm not meaning to be dissing the terms, well not really, well maybe!  hmmmm.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 09. Dec 2009 at 05:51
Print Post  
I suppose every nationality has similar terms.

In Québec, there is a term that people use quite often, which is "Québécois pure laine," which literally means "100% wool quebecker." It means someone whose roots in the "nation" (or "province," as the rest of Canada calls it) go back for generations, as opposed to a recent immigrant. It also usually implies a handful of cultural stereotypes, such as being a hockey fan, etc.

In the past the term was used quite often, but more recently it has become controversial, as most people see it as indicative of a kind of veiled xenophobia, or even racism.

I guess I was wondering if the term "All American" has the same implications. To my ears, it does, but I'm not really familiar with its usage or where it comes from. I know it has a connection to sports, which I don't really understand either.

I know this has nothing to do with boy actors. Sorry for hijacking this thread. Also, I should point out that I wasn't implying that TheSwede was being xenophobic by using that term. This was not in any way mean as an attack.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 10. Dec 2009 at 04:39
Print Post  
I can't see much of a problem when a thread goes off topic, although some may disagree. IMO, if an extended thread brings more attention to to a couple of lesser known boys then all the better.

Thanks for your reply Joseph, I find it interesting, I wonder what other similiar meaning terms are used by people in different countries. Your description of veiled xenophobia is very interesting, although as you suggest, I doubt if most people use it intentionally in that way. Oh, and Swede,  I don't for a second mean to impy that you are in any way xenophobic, I've used 'true blue' and it's equivalent 'dinky di' on many occassions.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #9 - 10. Dec 2009 at 15:36
Print Post  
actually... "All-American" basically means "very handsome and athletic" or that he can do pretty much anything he wants... it's not a political comment at all, and it does not exclude any race or religion.

Which is also why I put it in quotes... I didn't mean to imply that HE was American, or that being American is all that wonderful.  (Believe me, I like America, but I would be the FIRST to admit that Americans are too full of themselves and have MORE problems than the rest of the world because of it).

SO... interesting side topic, but I'm sorry to have instigated it!  No offense to the Aussies, Germans, French, Canadians, Hungarians, Swedes ... or ANYONE else that I just left out and probably offended AGAIN!

"Berkley is handsome and fit and probably quite talanted..." maybe that's what I should have said...

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #10 - 10. Dec 2009 at 16:17
Print Post  
Urgh. I knew I shouldn't have said anything. I guess this is where Zab steps in to accuse me of causing "drama" again.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #11 - 10. Dec 2009 at 16:24
Print Post  
See, this is why I apologized in advance for going off-topic, because I knew that even though I said several times it wasn't meant as an attack, that someone would be ticked off by it.

And this is why I must remember never to say anything more substantial than "nice caps" or "cute boy" or "thanks" on this forum.

IP Logged

OrionPax
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #12 - 10. Dec 2009 at 16:47
Print Post  
Nothing wrong with going off topic sometimes it can be more entertaining but I've noticed recently you've been quite confrontational josephk, are you perhaps subconsciously trying to pick fights? Cheesy

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #13 - 10. Dec 2009 at 17:35
Print Post  
I don't know. I've been posting here since 2002, so maybe my confrontational attitude just comes from years of being misunderstood. It seems that everyone likes to point fingers at me for "causing drama," even when all I'm trying to do is have a harmless conversation. (Or in some cases, saying "I'm going to review these films" and later saying "Sorry, I'm too busy." That apparently qualifies as "drama" here.)

Or maybe I'm just a total asshole. I don't know.

I should just shut up.

I apologize for being confrontational or causing any disturbance or being an all-around jerk.

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #14 - 10. Dec 2009 at 20:03
Print Post  
There's nothing wrong with a bit of good old confrontation but the heated opinions expressed in these posts are a good example of why we should get rid of nationalism especially in this increasingly PC world. "THE WORLD FOR THE WORLDISH" I say! Smiley
My idea of the 'All American Kid' is wearing a horizontally striped tee-shirt, blue denims turned up at the bottoms, baseball boots, cap on back to front and holding a bat over his shoulder. Then, if you really want to complete the picture have him blowing some bubblegum.

PS I wonder if 'Josephk' could reduce the size of that large siggy of his. Every time I scroll down it slows up at that picture! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Print