Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Let Me In Filming (Read 3,501 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Let Me In Filming
13. Dec 2009 at 23:00
Print Post  
The promised Americanization of Let the Right One In is now filming in New Mexico.

The film will be titled Let Me In.

Oskar, now renamed Owen, will be played by Kodi Smit-McPhee.

Hired to play the bullies are Jimmy Jax Pinchak, Nicolai Dorian, Brett Delbuono and Dylan Minette.
I stumbled across a picture of them taken last month. Haven't seen any stills of Kodi from the film yet.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Keeping my fingers crossed they don't mess up this film too badly.....

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Let Me In Filming
Reply #1 - 13. Dec 2009 at 23:02
Print Post  
To be honest, they can mess it up as badly as they want. There's no way this is going to live up to the original. I don't really have any expectations for this one.

But who knows? Maybe they'll actually surprise me and manage to make a half-decent movie out of it.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 13. Dec 2009 at 23:07
Print Post  
I just looked at pics of Kodi Smit-McPhee. He's cute. I'm actually kind of curious to see his interpretation of Oskar/Owen, now.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #3 - 13. Dec 2009 at 23:12
Print Post  
Well, I am curious to see what comes out.

Maybe they'll manage to keep Ashton Kutcher out of it.

IP Logged

OrionPax
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 14. Dec 2009 at 02:10
Print Post  
I honestly dont see what the point of this remake is, they already Americanized it with the awful dub of the original.

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 15. Dec 2009 at 20:23
Print Post  
I doubt an American remake of the Swedish classic will be as good but there's more hope for it than if it had been made in the UK.
Also it looks like Kodi Smit-McPhee, whose agent must have been working overtime recently getting him these plum roles and whom I'm surprised hasn't made the boy take a name change, is dark haired and not blond like Kare Hederbrant.
We can also safely assume that there will be no bedroom scenes of Kodi wearing cute white underpants. Bet he's got on the usual overdressed clobber kids wear to bed in American movies! The swimming pool scene won't have him dressed in neat Speedos but in the usual droopy bloomers. Smiley

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 15. Dec 2009 at 21:36
Print Post  
I think it's all right that he has a different look and hair colour. I don't think there's really any reason to expect an actor who looks like the actor who originally played the role. Especially since the character in the film didn't really look anything like the character described in the book. (He's chubby in the book.) I'm more interested in his acting ability than his looks. I haven't seen any of Kodi's films, but he won an AFI award in 2007 for his role in Romulus, My Father, so that's a pretty good sign.

I'm a lot more worried about the director they picked. Matt Reeves' only other feature films are Pallbearer (a boring romantic comedy from 1996) and Cloverfield (a shaky cam, unremarkable action movie about a big monster destroying a city), both of which I rated 5/10 on IMDb.

Also, a first draft of the screenplay adaptation has been leaked, and according to online reports, it follows the original film pretty closely "with some exceptions." I think the only way I could've gotten really excited about the American remake was if a talented director had decided to follow his own creative vision for it and dismissed the Swedish film altogether and instead work on his own adaptation of the novel. For example, the way Steven Soderbergh's version of Solaris is not a remake of the Russian film by Tarkovsky, but a different adaptation of the original novel by Zemekis. Both films are great, in my opinion, because the two directors followed their own vision and have very different takes on the book.

In the hands of a talented writer/director (or team), we could've had another wonderful film based on the same novel, instead of a lame dumbed down version of the first film.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print