Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Dickie Moore version of oliver twist. (Read 3,662 times)
gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Dickie Moore version of oliver twist.
25. Feb 2010 at 06:04
Print Post  
a few years back I tired to buy every version of oliver tiwst that was on dvd. I never got that far. anyhow I  got  2 copys of this becaues the box art was different and I thought they were differnt movies anyhow if anybody would like it I can send it too you. I dont know if anybody is intersted but I thought I would try.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: Dickie Moore version of oliver twist.
Reply #1 - 26. Feb 2010 at 14:48
Print Post  
Thanks for the offer, but I've seen it already.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 26. Feb 2010 at 19:33
Print Post  
Yeah, it's a generous offer. I'm sure someone will take you up on it. I would take it, but I'm sure someone else probably wants it more than I do. And I already have too many movies to watch!

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 26. Feb 2010 at 19:36
Print Post  
Like yourself, 'gee', I always buy a new version of Oliver Twist whenever I see one on DVD. I have the old 1948 classic with John Howard Davies as Oliver and Alec Guiness as Fagin, the Walt Disney one with Alex Trench as Oliver, Elijah Wood as the Artful Dodger and Richard Dreyfuss as Fagin and the one directed by Roman Polanski (incarcerated in prison at the moment, poor fellow, and in danger of falling into the clutches of the harsh American justice system) with Barney Clark as Oliver and Ben Kingsley as Fagin. Those three films are quite good in their way even if they do present Dickens's classic in slightly different ways!
I also possess two Oliver Twists made for television: The BBC series with William Miller as Oliver and Timothy Spall as Fagin and the ITV one with Sam Smith ('Wondrous Oblivion') as Oliver and Robert Lindsay as the old Jew. The latter one was most unusual as it dealt with what went on before Oliver was born, his feckless father, monstrous stepmother and pitiful halfbrother. In fact this version missed out the parts of the book we normally see in Oliver Twist films like the boy's time at the workhouse, his apprenticeship to the undertaker and running away. In fact, Sam Smith doesn't even get to say Oliver's immortal line: "Please sir, I want some more." Instead, having dealt with the prologue, we are immediately taken from Oliver's birth to him being accosted by the Artful Dodger in London.
Needless to say I also have the musical version with Mark Lester who, although looking quite nice, was overshadowed by Jack Wild's superb portrayal of the Artful Dodger.
Dickie Moore? Now that is one I do NOT have. Is it a recent version as I have to confess I haven't even heard of this boy actor?

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #4 - 26. Feb 2010 at 21:02
Print Post  
Dickie Moore, no that is not recent...

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 27. Feb 2010 at 05:31
Print Post  
I too have most versions. I've seen the Dickie Moore version and it is pretty bad. Dickie Moore is hopeless as Oliver Twist. The production and direction are also seriously wanting. It is by far the worst version I've seen. It's little wonder that the director of this mess made only one more film after it.

IP Logged

starchild
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 28. Feb 2010 at 16:19
Print Post  
I saw the Dickie Moore version of Oliver Twist. Personally I thought that the Richard Charles version was the best but this is mainly because I've always loved boys with long blond hair. LOL!!! Anyway, I liked that version and the versions with Mark Lester, Alex Trench, and Barney Clark. Other than that I wasn't interested in any other version including the Dickie Moore version. Dickie was a good actor but he wasn't very good in this movie.   Tongue 

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #7 - 28. Feb 2010 at 20:06
Print Post  
I wonder if those arguing against remakes would prefer that the Dickie Moore version (the first sound version) had been the last.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print