Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Pinocchio & Geppetto. (Read 3,601 times)
Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Pinocchio & Geppetto.
27. Feb 2010 at 21:36
Print Post  
Just watched a special effects version of Carlo Collodi's classic tale 'Pinocchio'. This one starred Jonathan Taylor Thomas as Pinocchio although he only appeared at the end of the film. The voice of the wooden puppet, apparently, was done by some unknown boy called David Doyle. One must ask the question as to why Doyle was restricted to the voiceover and never appeared on screen in person? This DVD had no extras that might have provided an explanation. I doubt if Doyle could have looked much worse than Thomas who didn't resemble the puppet at all and, in fact, I am of the opinion that the puppet looked better! Thomas was too round faced and needed to be steered clear of the fast food joints. Smiley
Overall, it was quite a good production with some pleasant background scenery and music even if there was no Blue Fairy. It was directed by a Steve Barron in 1996.
There was a host of boy actors in it although they had only fleeting parts. Actors such as: Dean Cook, Joe Swash (huh?), Oliver Barron (daddy got him on), Jake Court, Luke Deleon, Kevin Dorsey, Thomas Orange and Sean Woodward (I think I've heard the latter's name somewhere before, anyone heard of the others?).
I quite enjoyed the film and am wondering if any of these boy actors got anywhere afterwards.
Another film I enjoyed was 'Geppetto' starring Seth Adkins as Pinocchio and Drew Carey as Geppetto. There was a Blue Fairy in this one. It was set to some musical numbers none of which were particularly memorable except when Pinnochio sings 'Got No Strings On Me' which was in the Walt Disney cartoon classic anyway. I found 'Geppetto' a quite humorous version of the story and overall pretty good. Poor Seth Adkins had to play most of the film wearing special arms and legs to make him look wooden, and apparently they were awkward to wear. Anton Yelchin made a brief appearance in the film.
Anyone seen these films?

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Re: Pinocchio & Geppetto.
Reply #1 - 27. Feb 2010 at 22:43
Print Post  

also "featured" ...
Christopher Marquette
Anton Yelchin
Myles Jeffrey
Taylor Emerson
Kyle Sullivan
Josh Zuckerman
Dennis Bendersky

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #2 - 27. Feb 2010 at 23:43
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 27. Feb 2010 at 21:36:
Just watched a special effects version of Carlo Collodi's classic tale 'Pinocchio'. This one starred Jonathan Taylor Thomas as Pinocchio although he only appeared at the end of the film. The voice of the wooden puppet, apparently, was done by some unknown boy called David Doyle. One must ask the question as to why Doyle was restricted to the voiceover and never appeared on screen in person?

Jonathan did do the voice for the puppet Pinocchio - David Doyle was the voice of the cricket.

Quote:
There was a host of boy actors in it although they had only fleeting parts. Actors such as: Dean Cook, Joe Swash (huh?), Oliver Barron (daddy got him on), Jake Court, Luke Deleon, Kevin Dorsey, Thomas Orange and Sean Woodward (I think I've heard the latter's name somewhere before, anyone heard of the others?).

The other significant boy actor is Corey Carrier as Lampwick

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 28. Feb 2010 at 11:31
Print Post  
You know what I like about BA? You can post about a film and you receive pictures and details almost straightaway. Many thanks for those excellent clips, 'Hosenhaus' and the additional boy actors info, 'Quantum'. Disney films can be a bit brief on cast info sometimes so that when the credits came up at the end of 'Geppetto' only the main actors were matched up with their characters. Apart from Seth Adkins whom I thought played his part wonderfully, I also thought the boy playing Professor Buonragazzo's (Rene Auberjonios) son did a great part but never knew which boy actor played him.
Looks like I dropped a clanger about who did the voice of the puppet in 'The Adventures of Pinocchio'! I guess David Doyle was Pepe which must have been Collodi's original name for Jiminy Cricket. My apologies to Jonathan Taylor Thomas.
Thanks again for your enlightening replies, fellow Appreciators of the Boy Actor. Smiley

IP Logged

starchild
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 28. Feb 2010 at 16:40
Print Post  
I saw this movie and there were alot of reasons to watch it. My main reason was to see Myles Jeffrey. Seriously, Myles Jeffrey has to be one of the most adorable actors EVER!!!!! He is the definition of super cute. And I love how he acts. Even his acting style is adorable. Also, Seth Adkins was quite good in this movie but I must admit, I would have liked it alot better if Myles would have played the starring role. I love Myles Jeffrey. He's so adorable.   Smiley

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 28. Feb 2010 at 23:36
Print Post  
starchild wrote on 28. Feb 2010 at 16:40:
I saw this movie and there were alot of reasons to watch it. My main reason was to see Myles Jeffrey. Seriously, Myles Jeffrey has to be one of the most adorable actors EVER!!!!! He is the definition of super cute. And I love how he acts. Even his acting style is adorable. Also, Seth Adkins was quite good in this movie but I must admit, I would have liked it alot better if Myles would have played the starring role. I love Myles Jeffrey. He's so adorable.   Smiley

As I said in your video thread, I'm very fond of Myles too, but my favorite boy actor in this movie is the often overlooked and under-appreciated Taylor Emerson. He is very special to me.

IP Logged

starchild
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 01. Mar 2010 at 01:18
Print Post  
Yeah K, you're not kidding when you say that Taylor is overlooked. Not only have I never heard of him but I don't remember seeing him in the movie. He is cute though. Thanks for the pic and for bringing him to our attention.   Smiley 

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #7 - 01. Mar 2010 at 02:49
Print Post  
Thomas Orange had a notable supporting role in Goodnight Mr. Tom, not familiar with the other names you listed, Cinefan.
Other than the Disney animation, I have only seen the JTT and the Robbie Kay renderings of Pinocchio. Of these I preferred the JTT version by a nose.  Tongue
I do have the Italian miniseries from the 1970's in my watch pile, I'm hoping for better things from it.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 01. Mar 2010 at 07:00
Print Post  
My favourite version, by far, is the Italian Mini Series.

I wasn't keen on JTT as Pinocchio at all, he wasn't right for the part IMO.

I liked Seth Adkins but didn't like the film. Wasn't Drew something-or-other in it as Geppetto, he put me off the film.

I like Robbie Kay but didn't think much of that version either.

And I also like Gabriel Thompson, but his version sucked as well.

There is also an interesting alternative Russian take on Pinocchio conceived by Aleksei Tolstoy:

A number of versions exist, my favourite being...

Priklucheniya Buratino (1975)

A new version, which I've not seen, was released last year called...

Buratino, Son of Pinocchio (2009)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print