Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Bill Switzer. (Read 5,607 times)
Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Bill Switzer.
16. Apr 2010 at 22:19
Print Post  
Just watched Bill Switzer in 'Mail to the Chief'. I guess among the pantheon of boy actors he has never been a real star and this movie probably indicates why. Directed by Eric Champnella, who should have known better, it is a lazily directed, clunky attempt at bright kid meets the President. Properly handled the plot could have been much improved but the computer chatroom interaction between young Switzer and the US President (Randy Quaid) and the eventual meeting never seemed to hit it off. There was the usual attractive girls in it, geeky friend and school bully which was acceptable but couldn't save the film in the end.
Even allowing for Disney's usual light and fluffy plotlines this one ticked all the boxes but didn't come out right somehow. Much better was 'First Kid' with Brock Pierce.
Bill Switzer is no great looker with his ever so slightly plump face. He was much better in the other film I have of him on DVD 'Mr Rice's Secret' starring alongside David Bowie of all people! The plot was much more realistic even allowing for its supernatural base and gave Switzer much more acting scope as a boy dying from cancer.
My ratings: 'Mail to the Chief' - five stars as I think the BA reviewers were being a little generous. 'Mr Rice's Secret' - seven stars!
Anyone seen these films? Sorry I can't add pics but I'm sure some kind member will come to my rescue. Smiley

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Bill Switzer.
Reply #1 - 17. Apr 2010 at 04:12
Print Post  
I want to see  his movie Mr. Rice's Secret only because it has David bowie in it and I love David bowie. I watched his scenes online an the movie looked terrible so not sure if its worth it.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #2 - 17. Apr 2010 at 13:21
Print Post  
Bill Switzer's best movie, in my opinion...
Locked in Silence
of course Marc Donato has the flashy role, but keep watching!
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #3 - 17. Apr 2010 at 13:34
Print Post  
Every December I watch The Christmas List when it comes on TV ... but use the DVR so I can fast-forward the adult parts and watch the Bill parts.

There is also When Danger Follows You Home

and TV series Eerie, Indiana: The Other Dimension

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 17. Apr 2010 at 19:48
Print Post  
Thanks for the illustrations, 'hosenhaus'. I haven't seen Bill Switzer in any other films but they can't be any worse than 'Mail to the Chief'!
'gee' must be taken away for 're-education' as he is guilty of watching a film for the MAN actor and not the BOY actor! This is a BOY actor site after all. Wink
I see 'hosenhaus' also refers to a TV series 'Eerie Indiana' and I remember that being on television over here in the UK. I even bought the three-set DVDs of the entire series which only lasted 19 episodes. It started off quite well with young Marshall, played by the oddly named Omri Katz and his even younger sidekick, Simon, played by Justin Shenkarow. Whatever happened to those two boy actors? The first episode 'Forever Ware' was very good about the mad mother who puts her twin boys to sleep every night in large plastic food boxes so they 'keep' and never age. Little note here: The two men who played the older twins were the same ones used in 'Terminator 2' as the guards at the hospital. 'Just Say No Fun' was an amusing episode as well in which the boys encounter a dotty school nurse who makes then wear special glasses that turn the kids into robots who are compliant and act sooo nice. Not like real kids at all.
Of course the two boys were dressed in the usual baggy gear and showed little of themselves. Baggy gear that kids are still wearing today - twenty years later!
However, about halfway through, I thought the series went rapidly downhill as reflected in the few numbers of episodes made.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 14. Jun 2010 at 21:04
Print Post  
just saw Mr. rice's secret terrible movie. like I said in the early post I wanted to see it causes of David bowie. of course I am always up for a boy acotr movie too. I really struggled to sit thru the whole thing. did not give me too much of an opinion on switer. he performance was just okay. however the worst actor in the movie was the bully kid. as for the plot it was annoying and I could predict most of what could happen. btw is any bully really heartless enough to beat up a kid who is dying of leukemia

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #6 - 28. Jun 2010 at 03:56
Print Post  
I actually liked Mail to the Chief for what it was; a low grade, Disney Channel tv movie. Comparing it to First Kid is a bit unfair as that was a theatrical release.
I agree that Bill Switzer was no stunner, but I think he gave his characters a certain charm. Unfortunately for him, most of his work was in made for cable tv movies. Mr. Rice's Secret is the only film of his that was released theatrically and even that didn't have a wide release.

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #7 - 07. Apr 2018 at 22:45
Print Post  

Bill Switzer is one of my favorite actors!

He has the most wonder 'lisp' when he's talking

Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print