Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Super 8 (2011) - new trailer! (Read 9,012 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Super 8 (2011) - new trailer!
16. Mar 2011 at 04:29
Print Post  
Have you guys seen the trailer for JJ Abrams' Super 8 yet? It looks awesome!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Stars Zach Mills, among others. I think the kids must have been were around 14 or 15 at time of filming, so it barely fits the criteria for inclusion in the database, but this looks like a must-see nevertheless.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Re: Super 8 (2011) - new trailer!
Reply #1 - 16. Mar 2011 at 11:25
Print Post  
that definitely looks like one I want to see. Thanks for the alert! The featured boy actor (Zach Mills?) strongly reminds me of Sean Astin from around the time of THE GOONIES.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 16. Mar 2011 at 12:49
Print Post  
Spielberg/Abrahams = no subtlety = popcorn movie= a surefire box office hit.
But there seems to be so many Spielberg haters out there.
This movie will probably have a huge initial negative vote on IMDb.
I like Zach Mills, his head seems to be catching up to his ears at last.
I'll watch it for sure, it does look like fun.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 16. Mar 2011 at 13:26
Print Post  
I try not to pay too much attention to IMDb ratings and public perception of movies/directors anymore, because my own tastes tend to not have much in common with the mainstream.

But yeah, this is a popcorn movie. And probably won't be a bastion of subtlety. But the difference is it looks like a good popcorn movie!

I'm pretty critical of both Abrams and Spielberg. But this looks like it combines their strengths more than their weaknesses. I think it'll be fun.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 16. Mar 2011 at 20:24
Print Post  
I think this movie looks good never seen Zach in any thing before. but I am a fan of the child actress Elle Fanning.

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 19. Mar 2011 at 16:57
Print Post  
Being unable to watch video clips, I'm wondering exactly what 'Super 8' is about. I remember Zach Mills in 'Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium' in which he had the honour of starring alongside Dustin Hoffman. I always liked the scene where Zach is 'talking' to the accountant through the office window by means of words written on cards. Wonderful!

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #6 - 19. Mar 2011 at 18:04
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 19. Mar 2011 at 16:57:
Being unable to watch video clips, I'm wondering exactly what 'Super 8' is about.

Try IMDb...

In the summer of 1979, a group of friends in a small Ohio town witness a catastrophic train crash while making a super 8 movie and soon suspect that it was not an accident. Shortly after, unusual disappearances and inexplicable events begin to take place in town, and the local Deputy tries to uncover the truth - something more terrifying than any of them could have imagined.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 25. Mar 2011 at 14:36
Print Post  
Oh, wow, I am super-confused about the actors in Super 8 now. I was assuming the lead boy actor was Zach Mills, but it looks like I was wrong.

Information has been updated on IMDb and it's now clear that the lead actor is Joel Courtney. This is his first film.

So now I ask, who does Zach Mills play in the film? Is he even in the trailer?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #8 - 11. Jun 2011 at 16:23
Print Post  
I went to see this at the cinema yesterday on opening day.

It's really, really good. Joel Courtney is excellent in the lead role of Joe and he's in virtually every scene, so he gets tons of screen time. The story is moving without being overly manipulative or sentimental. (Not saying it's the most subtle story in the world, but for a Hollywood movie, it's above average.) Even though there's a "monster" and sci-fi plot and tons of (impressive) special effects, the movie is very much grounded in the relationship between characters (both family and friendship).

The other youngsters in the supporting cast don't all live up to Joel Courney's fabulous performance. Riley Griffiths ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) has the most crucial role but some of his acting is a little wooden. Not bad enough to ruin his scenes, but just a little off.

Ryan Lee ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) is perhaps the most charismatic of the supporting characters and gets the most screen time after Joel and Riley. (Aside from Elle Fanning, who plays Alice and who is both excellent and suitably pretty as the object of Joe's affection).

The other boys are Gabriel Basso ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) who's effective in his role providing mostly comic relief, and Zach Mills ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) who is sadly the least developed of all the characters and doesn't get much screen time.

All these actors must have been between 13 and 15 during film, so they're right on the edge of the age limit for inclusion on the database. Overall, though, this is a very good "boy movie," and will probably become a minor classic of the coming-of-age genre.

With his stunning debut performance, Joel Courtney is a revelation. Too bad he wasn't discovered earlier, but I hope he continues with his acting career. It could be a brilliant one.

IP Logged

Jared
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 13. Jul 2011 at 04:27
Print Post  
super 8 the movie is a very good movie.
very good bombing sence in the movie

10 out 10

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #10 - 13. Jul 2011 at 08:38
Print Post  
Whoa! Finally someone else who has seen it! Smiley

IP Logged

Renebigey
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 20. Aug 2011 at 23:03
Print Post  
yeah saw it last night. Joel Courtney is exceptionally good (and rather cute), though his three stooges as friends are a bit poor really.

Very nice teen love affair subplot. Big plot holes, but a confident, competent 7/10.

IP Logged

AlexBeck
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 26. Aug 2011 at 04:28
Print Post  
I must be in the minority here. I thought it was utterly unwatchable. Probably because I'd seen it before. Practically every line seemed to be recycled from something else.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #13 - 16. Aug 2012 at 16:26
Print Post  
Smiley I liked very much the movie and the very good play of Joël COURTNEY in part of Joe LAMB and Ryan LEE. My movie rating is 9/10 !

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #14 - 17. Aug 2012 at 07:42
Print Post  
haven't seen it yet... keep meaning to, but whenever I look, I dont find what I'm looking for :/

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print