Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My new blog (Read 6,535 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

My new blog
24. Mar 2011 at 15:13
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I've been thinking about starting this new blog for a while. But my previous attempts at keeping a boy actor blog didn't last very long. Hopefully this time I stick to it.

The concept is simple: Updated at least once a day (usually more) with pictures of boy actors. Occasionally, I'll also post reviews, etc. But the focus is more on images. That way I can queue up tons of posts in advance and just let it update itself regularly without having to worry about it all the time.

To start off, I figured I would go through a quick list I made of some of the most well-known boy actors. The big names that every self-respecting fan of boy actors should be familiar with. So Macaulay Culkin is the first one featured. But eventually, I'll move into less familiar territory.

Check it out. You can "follow" me on tumblr if you have an account. Or you can add the RSS feed to your favourite RSS client so you never miss an update. I recommend Google Reader.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: My new blog
Reply #1 - 24. Mar 2011 at 15:34
Print Post  
Smiley Very good blog !

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 24. Mar 2011 at 22:16
Print Post  
An interesting idea, josephk. I recognised the first two pics of Macaulay being from 'The Good Son'. I'm intrigued as to where the third pic is from if it isn't a 'doctored' pic. I like the one where Macaulay is reading 'Playboy'. I reckon he will have got that when he was visiting Michael Jackson! Wink
Being an elderly computer nerd I have to ask what the difference is between a website and a blog? You are going to have a lot of work to do posting pics of all the boy actors there are. You have started off with the most popular pair, I think - Macaulay Culkin and Elijah Wood. Some might say Haley Joel Osment or Joseph Mazzello are a popular ones, too. Good luck with your blog.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 24. Mar 2011 at 22:45
Print Post  
Smiley Do you think to publish pics of frenchs boys actors ? Do you know Zacharie CHASSERIAUD, Kérian MAYAN and Vincent JASINSKIJ ?

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 24. Mar 2011 at 23:57
Print Post  
cool where is the pic of him in the wings  from?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 25. Mar 2011 at 00:13
Print Post  
gee wrote on 24. Mar 2011 at 23:57:
cool where is the pic of him in the wings  from?

I don't know. I'm assuming it's from photo shoot for a magazine article.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #6 - 25. Mar 2011 at 01:15
Print Post  
Nérodiaman wrote on 24. Mar 2011 at 22:45:
Do you know Zacharie CHASSERIAUD, Kérian MAYAN and Vincent JASINSKIJ ?

What are their best-known movies?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 25. Mar 2011 at 01:57
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 24. Mar 2011 at 22:16:
An interesting idea, josephk. I recognised the first two pics of Macaulay being from 'The Good Son'. I'm intrigued as to where the third pic is from if it isn't a 'doctored' pic. I like the one where Macaulay is reading 'Playboy'. I reckon he will have got that when he was visiting Michael Jackson! Wink

I'm not sure which one you're asking about exactly, but I don't think any of them have been "doctored." If you meant the one where he has wings, as I said to Gee, I think it's from a magazine shoot, but I don't know the source.

The one with the Playboy magazine I'm pretty sure is from Home Alone. Or maybe Uncle Buck? I'm pretty sure there was a scene in one of those movies where he finds one of those magazines, but it's been ages since I've seen either.

Quote:
Being an elderly computer nerd I have to ask what the difference is between a website and a blog? You are going to have a lot of work to do posting pics of all the boy actors there are.

A blog is a type of website. A blog means that it's updated regularly and that new posts are arranged in reverse chronological order, with the newest ones showing up at the top. Typically, blogs rely on some pre-existing platform, like blogspot, wordpress or (in my case) Tumblr. These are services that provide not only the hosting but most of the functionality of the site as well. You can customize it to make it look the way you want, but once that's done, posting is about as easy as posting on a message board is. You type in your text, upload photos, click "POST" and you're done.

Will it be a lot of work? Well, yes and no. My goal is not to compete with something like this website, which is a resource that aims to include as much information and be as comprehensive as possible. A blog is much more about people reading or looking at the new updates as they get posted. The idea is that people would visit the site every day (or every few days) and get a bunch of new pics. I'm not too worried about including EVERY actor or whatever.

Nérodiaman wrote on 24. Mar 2011 at 22:45:
Do you think to publish pics of frenchs boys actors ? Do you know Zacharie CHASSERIAUD, Kérian MAYAN and Vincent JASINSKIJ ?

Yes, I plan to include French actors. I'm not familiar with any of the names you mentioned, but I will look them up.

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 25. Mar 2011 at 22:17
Print Post  
Nerodiaman, you may have every confidence that French boy actors will be included by our good friend, josephk. After all, which blog would be complete without including His Cinematic Highness of French boy actors - Didier Haudepin - no less! (Though his prodigious talents were wasted as charming Cotolay in 'El Nino y el Lobo' mainly by the fact he was surrounded by adult actors of the 'wooden' variety).

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #9 - 26. Mar 2011 at 21:48
Print Post  
Good luck on your new venture.

I'm thinking Jules Sitruk will get a mention.  Wink

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #10 - 28. Mar 2011 at 13:34
Print Post  
I'd like to ask a couple of questions (or three) if I may....

# Can blogs like this be set up so that the actors can be sorted according to various criteria?

eg; sorted in alphabetical order, chronological order, ranked order, by clicking an option?

# Can multiple links be added to each actor, i.e, to IMDb, Wikipedia, official sites, etc

# Can visitors respond by commenting on individual pics?

I'm curious because I very much like the idea of doing something like this myself but in a slightly less minimilist way, although I do rather like minimilism.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #11 - 28. Mar 2011 at 16:36
Print Post  
Cal, Tumblr is maybe not the best platform if you want to do things like sorting alphabetically. Although there are a few things you could do to get around it. And platforms like Blogger or Wordpress have more options.

Sorting blog posts alphabetically by actor name is probably not going to be an option on any of these. Although you can add tags to the posts and those tags can then be sorted and displayed as a list of links. (I know this is very easy to do on Blogger. Less so on Tumblr.) Comments are also fairly easy to implement. They're a built-in option in Blogger and Wordpress. With Tumblr you can add it via a third-party application, like Disqus.

Links are of course no problem. You can simply add links in the body of the posts, standard HTML.

I've considered all of these options when deciding what platform to use for this blog, and in the end I decided to go with Tumblr despite the more limited functionality, because of (a) how easy and quick it is to post images, and (b) the popularity of that platform and increased chances of finding an audience there.

On that last point, the way Tumblr works is very much community oriented. If you have an account, you can "follow" other tumblrs, you can "like" individual posts (which then generates a feed of all your liked posts, which you can either keep private or make public so others can browse it), and you can "reblog" other people's posts with a single click. All the tags are also searchable, meaning Tumblr user who searches for "Corey Haim" will find my tagged pics of him, which they can then "like" (which puts them in their like list for future reference) or "reblog" (which copies the post onto their own tumblr, for all their followers to see and like and reblog). So without any effort to promote my blog, I've got several people liking, reblogging and following it already. And that audience is going to continue to grow.

It's always more fun when you have a little bit of an audience. Although, ultimately, I'm doing this for my own amusement more than anybody else's. I don't think Tumblr is your best option if you're particularly interested in organizing your posts in different orders. But if you're just looking for a place to collect nice images, it's pretty great.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #12 - 29. Mar 2011 at 07:05
Print Post  
Joseph, thanks for the reply, I think perhaps what I wanted to do was a bit too ambitious, for me. I think I'll just stick to organizing the ever increasing mess on my computer which is time consuming enough.   Smiley

IP Logged

zhizhi
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #13 - 29. Mar 2011 at 16:54
Print Post  
Great blog! I'm browing it right now. Nice pictures that you find or scan.  I forgot Barret Oliver also had tons of freckles and how good looking Elijah was in the War.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #14 - 30. Mar 2011 at 16:38
Print Post  
I like it Smiley There are some nice portraits of many of my favorites. Even Edward Furlong is almost smiling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print