Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Ball boy (Read 5,320 times)
Benjamin
Platinum Member

Ball boy
01. Jun 2011 at 11:40
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I like to watch tennis (not just because of the game). Yesterday I saw this amusing incident. Afterwards, the ball boy involved didn't think it was so very amusing.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Ball boy
Reply #1 - 01. Jun 2011 at 14:58
Print Post  
Eesh. Poor kid.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 01. Jun 2011 at 16:36
Print Post  
I watched that match on high def TV (In fact I'm watching Nadal playing his semi-f match against Soderling right now. Some lovely looking ball boys in service and the camera operators have a good eye in picking out amazing looking boys in the crowd). I felt very sorry for the ballboy. He obviously ran onto the court, assuming the point had finished by the reaction of the crowd. Ballboys can't see the court clearly from where they are made to crouch down as the umpire's chair obstructs their view. Tough job. I also thought Victor Troicki behaved like an arsehole. He knows what the rules are and should have had the decency to console the poor kid who seemed pretty upset. Troicki didn't let the matter go either, he harrassed the kid on at least two occassions as the match continued.

I'd love to see Murray or Djokovic win this year's French.

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 02. Jun 2011 at 01:12
Print Post  
I remember the 1989 French Open. Michael Chang beat Stefan Edberg in the final after a very dramatic semifinal against Ivan Lendl.
After I found out that he is a fervent christian believer, showing it on court, I dismissed him from my favourites, but that is a different story.
In 2003, when Michael Chang ended his tennis career, a Dutch player (Martin Verkerk) caught the attention of tennis lovers.
Again, there was an incident involving a ball child. In the semifinal, Coria threw his racket in disgust at the ball girl in his vicinity. There was no injury, but it cost the South American an official warning and he didn't reach the final.
There is one more incidence of a ball boy that possibly influenced the outcome of the game.  I am sorry, but I just have not got all the details. It seems that the boy peed on himself and the game was delayed considerably as a consequence.
I will welcome any further information on this incident, which allegedly must have taken place somewhere in Australia.

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 05. Jun 2011 at 18:41
Print Post  
Well, one thing you can be thankful for watching tennis in Australia and that is your ballboys look like BOYS! Having never had much interest in tennis except when John McEnroe used to liven things up telling umpires they couldn't be serious, I did like to see the ballboys on TV at Wimbledon. Back in the 60s and 70s there used to be some real cuties who were recruited from the Banardoe's Homes. Nowadays they're either hairy old 18/19 year olds or girls, the latter being an unstoppable plague.
How can these professional players not react with greater kindness and understanding to an upset ballboy?

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 07. Jun 2011 at 10:41
Print Post  
How very true. I saw a flash from the Queen's tournament, the traditional first grass court event before Wimbledon. Only ballgirls. In the eyes of some beholders they may be divine creatures, but I lost interest.
Instead, I watched 'Prince Brat and the whipping boy'.
As a penitence to my earlier remarks, I add a screenshot of a girl in that movie. She is acceptable.
I will upload more images from that film in the appropriate way.

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 14. Jun 2011 at 15:50
Print Post  
In the decisive third set against Tsonga in the Queen's Club championship, Andy Murray hit a spectacular ball. To be honest, he didn't have to - it was just a bit of a show off. The shot is best illustrated by the picture I am uploading. This is exactly why I love to watch tennis. Incidentally, Andy went on to win.

IP Logged

Jared
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 14. Jul 2011 at 01:27
Print Post  
i think the boy make a mistake
i am right?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print