Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic hijacked (and I thought it wasn't that serious) (Read 3,431 times)
Benjamin
Platinum Member

hijacked (and I thought it wasn't that serious)
19. Nov 2012 at 03:56
Print Post  
Hi everybody,
In the near future I may have to totally reset my computer. The reason is: my browser has been hijacked. It didn't seem too serious at first. I could easily get around those criminals. But gradually they have taken more and more control. It is getting so aggravating that I may have to resort to drastic measures, reformatting my computer being the least of them.
I can still work the way I used to, so mayby I can stay in touch with you long enough to perhaps get some advice on how to proceed.
But surely, this has gone on for long enough now. I am seriously contemplating to use fdisk. It really is a pain in the neck. Perhaps buying a new laptop could be the solution to my problem (Mac users don't seem to be affected by this.) Has anyone of you had similar problems? And could you give me some advice?
Thanks beforehand.
Of course, when I go offline for an indefinite period, I will let you know. Like Al Jolson sang:
Watch for the mail. I'll never fail.  If you don't get a letter, then you know I'm in jail.

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Re: hijacked (and I thought it wasn't that serious)
Reply #1 - 19. Nov 2012 at 15:03
Print Post  
Maybe you could switch to another browser, if it's just your browser that's affected and not the OS.

Undecided

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #2 - 19. Nov 2012 at 15:52
Print Post  
I think the "best" solution is to backup your data and re-install your system from scratch.  Cheaper than a new computer, and essentially the same results.

I had a similar problem a few years ago; my computer was useless for a week, and I needed it for my job.  So after 3 days without a computer (and not even able to boot it properly), I bought a mac. Then, with the help of a functioning computer, I was able to learn how to force my old computer to let me re-install the OS.

I suggest you take action while you still have some functionality. sometimes you can install the OS while leaving the Data intact, but I don't recommend that... just buy an external hard drive (not very expensive compared to a new computer), copy off everything you want (you *should* make a backup of those things anyway, to be honest), and completely re-install your computer's software.

Macs are presently "immune" to the attacks mostly because the community is still relatively small and not "worth the hackers' time" ... all that could change any minute.  :/

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 19. Nov 2012 at 16:29
Print Post  
Thanks guys, for your advice.
I don't have to worry about backing up. That is done regularly. It's the OS that has me worried. I bought the computer about two years ago and there were no OS disks supplied by the company that btw has gone bankrupt since. So I think I'll have to buy a new OS, possibly MS7.
I'll wait for a relative to come and help me in the operation.
There are two intruders on my PC, both rather harmless: Searchnu.com/406 and Whitesmoke.
They are annoying though and the performance of the PC is markedly lower.
The source probably is ilivid, so I'd like to warn everybody: stay away from that obnoxious software.
I'll carry on for the time being. Everything still works, except Google translator. I hope to restore that in due course.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #4 - 20. Nov 2012 at 05:02
Print Post  
Benjamin wrote on 19. Nov 2012 at 16:29:
It's the OS that has me worried. I bought the computer about two years ago and there were no OS disks supplied by the company that btw has gone bankrupt since.

Usually if there is no actual disk with the software, there is a special partition on your hard drive that is specifically made for restoring your system... if you're not sure if yours does, I can try to help you figure it out... but if you can find your "disk management" utility, it'll probably tell you (look for a disk partition with no "letter").  you'd basically have to hold down a certain key or press escape while starting up your computer to enter into the "restore" mode.

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 20. Nov 2012 at 07:09
Print Post  
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when my distant cousin comes.
I have meanwhile disabled one of the two trojans. I can tell it is still there, but it isn't interfering any more. That was the program 'conduit' within Whitesmoke.
I have made sure that both trojans are not a virus. A search on the internet confirmed that.
So in the end I am not as handicapped as I thought I was.
I may keep using the PC as it is now, until I have saved up enough to buy me a Mac. That machine has been on my wishlist for a long time. Tongue

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #6 - 21. Nov 2012 at 09:37
Print Post  
I should have asked this two days ago, but..
How did you discover and identify the two hijackers in the first place? I'm not very well versed in this stuff.

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 21. Nov 2012 at 11:31
Print Post  
YoungArthur wrote on 21. Nov 2012 at 09:37:
How did you discover and identify the two hijackers in the first place?

Each time when I wanted to use my browser it appeared to have been bypassed by a program called searchnu.com/406.
I investigated the culprit and all symptoms were there: extra entries in my search operations, random ads popping up. Most sites offering help told me that you have to be a wizard like Harry if you wanted to get rid of it. A change of browser would not help, I was assured. I managed to remove the most annoying symptoms and decided that I could live with the remnants.
Since then a second intruder manifested itself: a toolbar that I never installed myself. It could easily be identified as 'Whitesmoke'. Again, it was documented in many helpful websites as a benevolent trojan.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
All in all enough for me to want to make a new start by reformatting my PC. I hesitate to do so and in fact, I couldn't do it myself. I need Harry's help.
It isn't that urgent though. I might consider buying another PC and start from scratch. My present laptop will still be usable for any purpose and as long as I don't connect it to the internet, it will by a fine machine.
Whichever solution I choose, I might be offline for a little while. I hope that my friends at BA won't even notice the transition!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print