Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sleepy Man Banjo Boys (Read 10,593 times)
LoDHom

Sleepy Man Banjo Boys
19. Sep 2013 at 10:21
Print Post  
Sometimes while browsing YouTube for something to watch, one comes across a real gem. There are hundreds of amateur kids singing or playing instruments, but the (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) are true Bluegrass professionals.

Made up of brothers Jonny Mizzone, 11, on banjo, Robbie, 14, on fiddle, and Tommy, 15, on guitar, these kids can do some serious pickin' and playin'  Shocked They've played Carnegie Hall, The Grand Ole Opry, Letterman, music fests, led off an Earl Scruggs tribute introduced by comedian Steve Martin (an accomplished banjo player himself) and have over 17 million views on their YouTube channel. They have 2 albums out and both made it to the Top 10 on Billboard's Bluegrass chart.

They have over 70 videos on their page, but somehow I like the ones of them jamming in their bedroom the best; just 3 cute, incredibly talented brothers playing together, for each other, for fun  Cool

Here's a classic: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links). Also watch the Foggy Mountain Breakdown vids and go WOW when you realize some of these were made 2 years ago when Jonny was 9 Grin

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Enjoy   Smiley

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Re: Sleepy Man Banjo Boys
Reply #1 - 19. Sep 2013 at 10:36
Print Post  
I love these guys! especially that little cutie Jonny! Smiley It's takes REAL talent to play a Banjo like he does! The Dueling Banjos piece was started by Lester Platt and Earl Scruggs and is a Bluegrass favorite! and for sure, Jonny does it justice! Smiley

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #2 - 19. Sep 2013 at 11:01
Print Post  
Wow!  They're good!

Cheesy

IP Logged

LoDHom

Reply #3 - 20. Sep 2013 at 01:44
Print Post  
If you were wondering where they came up with the name, "Sleepy Man Banjo Boys", they say that when Jonny was little the banjo was too heavy for him and he would just lay back in their bedroom and play with his eyes closed as if he were asleep Grin

Kind of like this... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

If you watch some of their live performances the little lad needs a chair to sit down in to take a break once in a while as his brothers solo. That banjo is bigger than his torso  Smiley

Robbie and Tommy are every bit as talented as Jonny, and apparently they have a younger brother that might learn to play the bass  Cool

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the hyperspeed style of bluegrass, and quite a few youtubers tell them to slow down a little  Tongue So here's a little something by a pair of brothers that is more my speed  Cool (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Unfortunatley they seem to be One Hit Wonders  Sad

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #4 - 20. Sep 2013 at 06:48
Print Post  
wow.  just.  wow.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 20. Sep 2013 at 12:34
Print Post  
LoDHom wrote on 20. Sep 2013 at 01:44:
Unfortunatley they seem to be One Hit Wonders 

Shocked What the Swede said! Shocked
                   and
I think Jonny looks so cute playing that Banjo on the bed! Cheesy

IP Logged

LoDHom

Reply #6 - 20. Sep 2013 at 19:35
Print Post  
There's no denying Jonny is a musical prodigy, but for some reason I find myself watching the Braden Bros doing Cripple Creek over and over. For me it epitomizes something Steve Martin once said: “The banjo is such a happy instrument--you can't play a sad song on the banjo - it always comes out so cheerful.” I just love watching the Braden banjo player start moving his little body and give such a boyishly happy smile that seems to say, "This is fun!", or maybe, "I pick, therefore I grin."  Cool

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 21. Sep 2013 at 13:07
Print Post  
LoDHom wrote on 20. Sep 2013 at 19:35:
I just love watching the Braden banjo player start moving his little body and give such a boyishly happy smile that seems to say, "This is fun!", or maybe, "I pick, therefore I grin."   

Correction!! He picks, and WE grin!! Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 22. Sep 2013 at 17:36
Print Post  
Fine to see some real boy musical talent well reflected in these three. The young banjo player is particularly good.

Thanks for a great find, 'LoDHom'.

IP Logged

boyflix
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 14. Sep 2015 at 13:02
Print Post  
[size=12][/size]These three kids are awesome with their instruments. They have an expansive list of vids on their YouTube channel. You don't see young people take a shine to older types of music like these three do. Oddest thing about them is they are from New Jersey; a state not known for it's bluegrass pickers. My personal favorite from the boys is this one as it shows the boys being boys with some stage time as well. I believe the older gentleman playing the mandolin is their father. He's in several vids with them and might explain where they got the love for bluegrass from.

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #10 - 14. Sep 2015 at 21:49
Print Post  
Quote:
These three kids are awesome with their instruments. They have an expansive list of vids on their YouTube channel. You don't see young people take a shine to older types of music like these three do. Oddest thing about them is they are from New Jersey; a state not known for it's bluegrass pickers. My personal favorite from the boys is this one as it shows the boys being boys with some stage time as well. I believe the older gentleman playing the mandolin is their father. He's in several vids with them and might explain where they got the love for bluegrass from.

That's a great video.  Been a while since watched their videos

Thanks for bumping this thread!

Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print