Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Valhalla Rising: Maarten Stevenson (Read 9,402 times)
Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Valhalla Rising: Maarten Stevenson
25. May 2015 at 11:36
Print Post  
BBC 2 broadcast a film the other evening called 'Valhalla Rising'. One of these moody type films where there's little dialogue and lots of long, close up shots of actors faces. Set somewhere around the 11th century, it's about some Vikings who set off with a character called One Eye to find the Holy Land but instead wind up on the shores of north America. It is brutal, lots of blood, slow moving and made quite cheaply by the look of it. What makes it of interest is the Boy, played by Maarten Stevenson another totally unknown boy actor to me. In keeping with the film, Maarten has little to say except look sad, curious and frightened.
I don't know whether I would want it in my DVD collection as the storyline is minimal. Although not stated in the film it seems One Eye has an eye for blond boys which, in the time of the Vikings, was probably not unusual.   Wink
Although Maarten is listed in BA Actors the film is not. An omission surely as the boy is in the film quite a lot.
Anyone seen 'Valhalla Rising'?

« Last Edit: 25. May 2015 at 16:52 by Cinefan »  

IP Logged

Lord Doctor
Gold Member

BA Member

Re: Valhalla Rising: Maarten Stevenson
Reply #1 - 26. May 2015 at 02:50
Print Post  
I have seen it and I have it in my collection. As you mentioned not much of a dialog a lot of brutal images. I won't say it was a complicated movie but it took me a good portion of the movie to understand what was going on.

ICQYIM  
IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 27. May 2015 at 02:09
Print Post  
The actor who played Billy Elliott's Father, is this actor's Father, who also costarred in the movie! that is IF my memory isn't failing me! Grin

IP Logged

Lord Doctor
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 28. May 2015 at 09:27
Print Post  
Quote:
that is IF my memory isn't failing me!

Unfortunately your memory did fail you  Sad
The actor who played Billy Elliot's dad is Gary Lewis and he plays the role of a Christian Viking
The boy in this movie "Are" is portrait as a pagan slave boy and as you mentioned is played by Maarten Stevenson which means no relationship with Gary Lewis (Gary is British while Maarten is Danish).

The movie is mostly about self discovery and recognition of the mute Viking warrior called "One Eye" who was captured and being tortured by a pagan Viking in the beginning of the movie and what happens afterward when he escapes by the help of "Are" the slave boy and together they join this group of Christian Vikings traveling abroad a Viking vessel looking for the promised land (Jerusalem). As they continue their journey they end up on a strange new land but, is this the "promised land"? Is it the end of their journey or is it just the beginning of their end? The movie leaves you hanging to draw your own conclusions. Do they (the boy and the warrior) survive or do they have the same faith as the Christian Vikings.

Obviously it is a very dark, sad and depressing movie. There is a lot of violence in it. It also has one of the most beautifully crafted scenes ever. When watching this movie one needs to let go of a lot of cliche expectations and believes. It isn't a kind of movie that you watch just because it is a Tuesday evening and there is nothing else to watch on TV. At points in the movie one might think there is something going on between the boy and the man (more or less an intimate relationship) but if you are able to look past that idea or better said "impression" one might see the deep respect the two have for each other both helping each other to escape from their captivity (slave boy and enslaved warrior) and then not letting go of each other as well as helping each other to survive whichever way they can. That is were the movie becomes beautiful regardless of all the gore and violence we observe and encounter.

However, that is my humble opinion.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Enjoy

ICQYIM  
IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 28. May 2015 at 17:03
Print Post  
One should look BEFORE one leaps! He IS Gary's son, here Gary's Bio at IMBd!

BTW, This is how I originally found this out, I had recognised Gary in this movie as playing Billy Elliott's Dad in the movie, so I went to IMBd to read up on the actor. Smiley

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 28. May 2015 at 17:05
Print Post  
And if you still don't believe me, ask the great Bowser!

IP Logged

Lord Doctor
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 28. May 2015 at 18:01
Print Post  
It is not a matter of believing or not. I searched and searched again and the only two places it is stated as "trivia" and not a fact is in IMDB and one other movie related online source. The funny thing is the wording is the same in both places.
I do not want to oppose, debate, argue or deny anything. I consider us people who have the same interests when it comes to movies.
So I say lets just not fuss over it any longer.

regards,
D

ICQYIM  
IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 29. May 2015 at 07:24
Print Post  
Lord Doctor wrote on 28. May 2015 at 18:01:
I do not want to oppose, debate, argue or deny anything. I consider us people who have the same interests when it comes to movies.
So I say lets just not fuss over it any longer.

regards,
D

Agreed, and it wasn't my intent to make you feel uncomfortable, if so, I am sorry, we are all friends here! We both have been members here for a while now and I consider  you and the rest of the members family! Maybe as IMDb gets more info on Gary Lewis and Maarten Stevenson, it will become more clear on their relations! Smiley

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 29. May 2015 at 20:54
Print Post  
Thanks, 'Lord Doctor' for those beautiful film clips. I was just pleasantly amazed coming upon a film on BBC 2 that I watched just to pass the evening and saw this unknown boy actor.
The trivia does mention Maarten as the son of Gary Lewis and I had recognised Gary while watching 'Valhalla Rising'. As Maarten does not share Gary's surname, this makes for interesting speculation. The BA Actors listing says Maarten was born in the UK which could mean the boy was adopted. Quite intriguing.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #9 - 01. Jun 2015 at 13:59
Print Post  
Those are some nice images, thanks!

After reading the reviews of this film, I've put
it on my 'list to watch later'.

Cheesy

IP Logged