Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Tom Sweet (Read 6,514 times)
hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Tom Sweet
24. May 2018 at 14:22
Print Post  
An article from the Evening Standard (London) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Rising star Tom Sweet: I’d only been in a nativity play, now I’m a film star at 10

Sweet was spotted by casting agents while playing football with his mates on London Fields

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

A 10-year-old boy is on the path to stardom after he was spotted by chance by casting agents while playing football with his mates on London Fields.

Despite having no acting training or experience, Tom Sweet put in an  acclaimed performance in his debut film, psychological horror story The Childhood Of A Leader, which comes to UK cinemas this Friday.

It is the directorial debut of 27-year-old Brady Corbet, who won best director at last year’s Venice International Film Festival when the movie was premiered. It stars Robert Pattinson, Game of Thrones’ Liam Cunningham, and Oscar-nominated Bérénice Bejo.

Sweet, from Hackney, told the Standard how he was first spotted in 2014: “I was playing football in London Fields when two of [casting director] Des Hamilton’s assistants walked past, and they couldn’t see my mum or my dad. There were lots of other kids there.

“A few days later I was walking back from my friend’s house with my mum and two women approached us. At first I thought it was to do with football. But then they told us about this film and invited me to an audition. We didn’t believe them at first so Googled everything to see for ourselves. The producer Chris Coen said they had been following me around waiting for me to be with a parent so they could approach me.”

He auditioned the next day. “They sent me the script and lines and I had to speak French. My only acting experience was playing Joseph in the school nativity play. I woke up next morning and went downstairs for my cereal and my mum said, ‘You’ve got the part!’ It was a really amazing feeling.”

The film, loosely based on Jean-Paul Sartre’s short story, examines the childhood of a fictional fascist leader during the First World War.

Sweet — whose father Jerry, 50, is a graphic designer and whose mother Gemma Mills, 44, works in fashion — has since made another movie, Second World War drama Ashes In The Snow, and has signed with agent Curtis Brown.

He said: “Before I wanted to be a footballer or a sportsman. I’m still not sure I want to be an actor. It’s a very strange industry. But I am kind of devoted to it now. I definitely want to give acting a go now that I have this opportunity.”

As yet, he hasn’t splurged any of his earnings. “It’s all going into savings for uni,” he said.

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Tom Sweet
Reply #1 - 25. May 2018 at 21:47
Print Post  
Delightful looking boy and good luck for his future. When I read that a boy has been 'plucked off the street' and given an acting part, I can't help wondering how the kids who are already on agents' books must feel. I guess the producers want to bypass any agents because it's cheaper to hire an unknown.
Interesting to note how the film makers had to follow Tom around until they saw him with a parent so they could approach him. A sign of the times.   Huh

Thanks, 'hosenhaus'.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #2 - 26. May 2018 at 12:33
Print Post  

added to profile: d.o.b. 2006, place of birth UK

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 26. May 2018 at 13:53
Print Post  
How do you know he was born in 2006? The article, published 17 August 2016, just says he is 10 years old, implying that he was born between mid-August 2005 and mid-August 2006.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #4 - 16. Mar 2019 at 21:02
Print Post  
Tom Sweet as Fritz in The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018) 

A small part.  The movie follows Fritz's sister Clara. 

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #5 - 24. Mar 2019 at 19:24
Print Post  
Gunpowder
UK TV miniseries

Tom Sweet as young Robert Catesby, the son of the main character: Robert Catesby, leader of the terrorist "Gunpowder Plot"
to blow up the Houses of Parliament (with the King, Queen, Prince, and all the Members of Parliament, inside). 

IP Logged

Marcel71

BA Member

Reply #6 - 06. Apr 2019 at 08:09
Print Post  
I saw the Movie "The Childhood of A Leader", Tom Sweet was very Amazing there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print