Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Genre list (Read 4,924 times)
nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Genre list
02. Jun 2018 at 04:04
Print Post  
These are the current genres listed in the database

Action - Adventure - Animation - Anthology - Baseball Drama - Biography - Black Comedy - Children - Childrens - Christian - Christmas - Classic - Comedy - Comedy Horror - Coming of Age - Crime - Cult - Documentary - Drama - Fairy Tale - Family - Family Adventure - Family Comedy - Family Drama - Family Western - Fantasy - Film Noir - Gay - Historical Drama - Horror - Music - Musical - Musical Comedy - Musical Drama - Musical Fantasy - Mystery - Mythical Drama - Nostalgia - Pirates - Pseudobiography - Romance - Romantic Comedy - Satire - Sci-Fi - Short - Sports - Supernatural - Surreal - Thriller - Tragedy - War - War Drama - Western

Some of these seem redundant or are only used for a few entries (tragedy has 2 Macbeth adaptations identified). Would there be any interest in reducing the number of genres, and maybe making the database a little more manageable. For instance, merging the movies in the Baseball Drama category into Sports, and combining the Children and Children's genres.

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Genre list
Reply #1 - 02. Jun 2018 at 12:26
Print Post  
I don't personally find the list unmanageable, though, as you point out, in one or two cases there is an obvious repetition of genre, e.g. "Children" and "Childrens" are the same (except the latter lacks its apostrophe, making an apostrophe fanatic like me terribly irritated!). In some cases, one wonders whether a genre which is a combination of two others (e.g. "Family Drama") is really necessary, since one can just select "Family" and "Drama" separately - though having said that, one must certainly retain "Romantic Comedy" as a separate category. Some are easier to define than others. I've always found the concept of a "Family" movie a little slippery.

Maybe so long as the movie profile pages list all the genres they could be filed under, this would present no problem to people looking up movies by genre.

I have to confess to being the one who added "Pseudobiography" to the list - for the first movie in Peter Greenaway's Tulse Luper sequence. But then I couldn't really call it "Biography", because Tulse Luper never actually existed. The movie is the only one under this label, but then I quite like the idea that a Peter Greenaway film can have a whole genre to itself!

I must also confess to being responsible for "Tragedy" as well. It seemed reasonable at the time, given that the plays in question were undoubtedly tragedies, though one might question whether the genre should be retained when the play is carried over to a film or television format. I don't know.

Now why isn't SitCom showing up in the list?...

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #2 - 02. Jun 2018 at 13:06
Print Post  
SitCom shows up in the list for TV Shows genres, because only TV Shows can be SitComs Smiley

If you want to change the genre for the Movies that have "Childrens" to "Children", once they are no Movies left with a genre of "Childrens", you should find it automatically drops off the list on the index page.

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 02. Jun 2018 at 16:50
Print Post  
Quantum wrote on 02. Jun 2018 at 13:06:
SitCom shows up in the list for TV Shows genres, because only TV Shows can be SitComs Smiley

Of course! Sometimes I can be so obtuse!

Quantum wrote on 02. Jun 2018 at 13:06:
If you want to change the genre for the Movies that have "Childrens" to "Children", once they are no Movies left with a genre of "Childrens", you should find it automatically drops off the list on the index page.

Done! What a relief. A missing apostrophe always makes me suffer the agonies of the damned.
« Last Edit: 02. Jun 2018 at 20:21 by diogenes »  

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 02. Jun 2018 at 20:13
Print Post  
UPDATE

As well as combining the Children's category under a single head, I've also eliminated the "Classic" category - which isn't really a 'genre' as such. (There were only four titles under this category anyway - and one of those only very dubiously merited the appellation.)

Thanks to nightwatcher for bringing this subject up.

IP Logged

nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 02. Jun 2018 at 23:29
Print Post  
You're welcome! The other ones with just one film are Nostalgia, Mythical Drama, Comedy Horror, Music.

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 03. Jun 2018 at 14:21
Print Post  
I've eliminated "Nostalgia", because nostalgia isn't a genre, and I've eliminated "Mythical Drama", because it's meaningless twaddle. The other two I'd be inclined to defend, but this is a matter concerning which it would be legitimate to have opinions either way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print