Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Barry Curtis~ Adventures of Champion, Wonder Horse (Read 4,142 times)
nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Barry Curtis~ Adventures of Champion, Wonder Horse
27. Jun 2018 at 07:05
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"A boy and his dog... and a WILD HORSE!" -- The tagline for this 1955 Western series which only lasted for 26 episodes. A sort of combination of Fury, The Rifleman, and Lassie. The boy was played by 12 year old Barry Curtis, who had appeared in minor roles in several TV series before starring in his own. After "Adventures of Champion," Curtis continued acting until 1960, with his final roles in episodes of Lassie and Leave It To Beaver.

According to Wikipedia, the show continued to air in repeats in the UK into the 1980s. There's more info here, including about how Curtis went on to earn a PhD in Philosophy from Harvard and was a professor until a few years ago. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Unfortunately most of the images online are rather grainy. The show is streaming on Amazon

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Barry Curtis~ Adventures of Champion, Wonder Horse
Reply #1 - 27. Jun 2018 at 19:47
Print Post  
Thanks for this. I have fond remembrances of Champion from my own boyhood... I can't believe that this classic series wasn't in the database, but I have now rectified this scandalous omission.

Curtis went on to become a tenured professor of philosophy. Below is a cap of his 1958 guest appearance in "Leave it to Beaver", looking very much like a future philosophy professor!

IP Logged

nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Re: Barry Curtis~ Adventures of Champion, Wonder Horse
Reply #2 - 28. Jun 2018 at 01:44
Print Post  
I wonder why the show vanished in the U.S. but was repeated for so long in the U.K.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print