Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938) - on blu-ray (Read 4,063 times)
diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938) - on blu-ray
08. Jul 2018 at 12:44
Print Post  
Selznick's 1938 version of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" is still probably the best adaptation to date of Mark Twain's classic tale of boyhood, and is, according to Amazon (US), about to be released on blu-ray. I haven't seen any reviews of the blu-ray yet, so don't know if it's any good, though I have hopes. Anyway, I do like very much the sleeve picture (or what is currently being displayed on Amazon as the product image, in any case) - image reproduced below. But can you spot the (not-so-deliberate) mistake?....

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The mistake is....

Rather than being barefoot, Tom's wearing shoes. D'oh!

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938) - on blu-ray
Reply #1 - 08. Jul 2018 at 19:16
Print Post  
Wonderful film which I have on ordinary DVD with beautiful opening music to the credit titles by Max Steiner. I thought the pieces were from traditional American song music but apparently not. Thanks, 'diogenes' for the sleeve picture and no, I didn't spot the mistake.   Shocked

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938) - on blu-ray
Reply #2 - 15. Jul 2018 at 19:31
Print Post  
I'll let the blu-ray publishers off! It looks as though the illustration derives from an original film poster (though it's still wrong, of course).

I want to revise something I said above. I said that the Selznick production was probably the best adaptation to date. However, I wasn't thinking about television series, and perhaps the series "Huckleberry Finn and his Friends" (1979-1980) with Sammy Snyders and Ian Tracey was the best...or at least my personal favourite.

I would also put in a good word for the '73 Reader's Digest musical version - even though I'm not much of a fan of Johnny Whitaker, who simply doesn't look like the Tom Sawyer of my imagination. The '73 version is newly available on (limited edition) blu-ray, with a fabulous picture quality - and the disc includes the '74 Reader's Digest "Huckleberry Finn" for good measure! Sleeve below:

« Last Edit: 17. Jul 2018 at 15:10 by diogenes »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print