Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic All Is True (2019) (Read 4,785 times)
nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

All Is True (2019)
11. Jun 2019 at 12:08
Print Post  
I recently saw this Kenneth Branagh film, which is not a 'boy movie,' although it is an entertaining speculative work about Shakespeare's retirement and the trauma he experiences around the earlier death of his 11 year old son Hamnet. Sam Ellis plays Hamnet in a few extended flashbacks / hallucination scenes. He was quite good in this role. Strangely, I can't find any info or pictures of him online -- no stills of him from the film, even though he had maybe 5-10 minutes of total screen time. My guess is that he comes from the theater world.

So, I would nominate him or the film for inclusion in the database, but don't feel I can just yet!

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: All Is True (2019)
Reply #1 - 11. Jun 2019 at 19:51
Print Post  
Thanks! I've added the movie, and I shall add Sam Ellis just as soon as I can find a photo of him online! Like you, I haven't been able to ferret out anything, and I'm not prepared to fork out 10 quid for the DVD just to get a screencap. If anyone comes across a photo, do post it here, and I'll use it for a Profile.

The trailer put me off immediately with its 21st century gender politics (Branagh's Shakespeare says he believes that women should be allowed to act female roles on the stage). A quick read of the reviews indicates that the whole thing is saturated with 21st century gender politics. I've added links to three online reviews to the movie's Profile page. The Variety review pans the movie, the Common Sense Media review is middling, and the New York Times review is more positive. Amusingly, all three reviews mention Kenneth Branagh's prosthetic nose as particularly off-putting!

Thanks again for this suggestion!

IP Logged

nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 14. Jun 2019 at 17:05
Print Post  
Great! There's a few moments of anachronistic gender politics, including a particularly implausible twist towards the end, but nothing that can't be shrugged off. I did enjoy the needling of the busybody Puritans and Ian McKellen's extended cameo as the Earl of Southampton. But, I'm sure this will be on TV soon enough so not worth paying for. Somewhat surprisingly, Branagh's next project is Artemis Fowl.

IP Logged

nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 19. Jun 2019 at 15:47
Print Post  
mostly side views unfortunately. I turned up the brightness on the night shots.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 19. Jun 2019 at 18:29
Print Post  
Thanks. I've added him to the database - I used the first photo as the least unsatisfactory. Unfortunately, I couldn't increase the brightness/highlights much more without making him (literally) green about the gills, so it's still a rather dark portrait picture. It will do for now, but if you, or anyone else, find a better picture online, then I'll replace it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print