Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Missing Czech actors 1 (Read 16,721 times)
Lubomír Nový
Bronze Member

BA Member

Re: Missing Czech actors 1
Reply #30 - 21. Aug 2019 at 11:17
Print Post  
Will you want me to send you corrections of Czech and Slovak names? For example, Matyáš ( = Matthew), there is no Matyas but Matyáš ... we have hooks and commas above the letters. The hook makes the letter "softer", the comma makes the letter "longer" ... Repair can last some time, I do not want to chase you, I would rather if you calmly be adding the names of other boyactors ...

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #31 - 21. Aug 2019 at 14:32
Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestion. I do include diacritical marks on names whenever I can, but I'm afraid the database doesn't accept all of them, so sometimes they have to be omitted. If a name already in the database lacks a diacritical mark, there is a strong likelihood that the database won't allow it. Furthermore, the vast majority of visitors to this database will not be sufficiently familiar with the Czech language to be able to interpret Czech diacritical marks, so the whole thing seems a bit of a palaver, to be honest.

IP Logged

Lubomír Nový
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #32 - 21. Aug 2019 at 19:37
Print Post  
I understand. That's why it's just a suggestion ... it's good anyway, but it can be great. When I enter  google, for example, Zdeněk Piškula, google also finds me Zdenek Piskula ...

Zdeněk Piškula you entered correctly, but there are a lot of names that are missing punctuation ... but you have a lot of work, and I do not you want to be too angry ... 
We will leave it with minor spelling mistakes, when you are in the mood, write, I native Czech, I will list the errors.
OK?

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #33 - 21. Aug 2019 at 21:02
Print Post  
Well, I don't mind you listing the names to be corrected, and I'll give them a go - after all, there aren't that many of them - by my reckoning, about 49 names...  just don't be too disappointed if I'm unable to alter all of them because the database won't recognise the marks.

IP Logged

Lubomír Nový
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #34 - 24. Aug 2019 at 10:02
Print Post  
Matěj Havelka
Štěpán Krtička
Jan Maršál
Adam Mišík
Zdeněk Piškula
Matěj Převrátil
Petr Šimčák
Radoslav Budáč
Luboš Diviš (+ Pavel)
Braňo Holiček
Tomáš Holý
Juraj Hrčka
Martin Jurčík
Vojtěch Kotek
Martin Mikuláš (Missinng his brother Marek Mikuláš)
Luděk Navrátil
Matěj Nechvátal
Zbyněk Nosál
Jan Potměšil
Jiří Procházka
Dalibor Šípek
Michal Škrabal
Jiří Strach
Michal Suchánek
David Vlček
Petr Voříšek
Daniel Vychopeň
Tomáš Žatečka
Jakub Zdeněk

Re-coppy this names ...

IP Logged

Lubomír Nový
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #35 - 24. Aug 2019 at 10:17
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Czech first names and when they celebrate the holiday.

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #36 - 24. Aug 2019 at 11:59
Print Post  
Right, I've gone through the list of names, and experimented with a few of them, but I haven't ultimately changed any of the names in the database. The accent mark is acceptable, but I've discovered that the problem is with the caron, or inverted circumflex mark. In some cases the database will allow this to be displayed in the actor profile page, but even then, if someone attempts to post a link to the Profile page in this Forum, the name displayed on the banner will be nonsense again. Hence, the caron must be avoided. In fact, although I said above that I haven't changed any of the names, I in fact changed one: I had to remove a caron from one the names (its inclusion meant that any attempt to link to the page from this Forum would result in nonsense being displayed). I think we should standardise a convention with regard to diacritic marks, so I have decided that carons are out! BA is an English language database, and the English language does not have the caron, so we must accept that some anglicisation of names is inevitable. The same is true, for example, of Russian names, where the names must be anglicised from a Cyrillic script.

IP Logged

Lubomír Nový
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #37 - 24. Aug 2019 at 14:55
Print Post  
OK ... so write those names without punctuation. Well, without hooks and commas ... Google normally looks for those names ... and Slavs will understand.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Print