Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Slovak boyactors (Read 4,077 times)
Lubomír Nový
Bronze Member

BA Member

Slovak boyactors
18. Aug 2019 at 21:19
Print Post  
Sorry, but I will empty the database of Slovak boyactors (born in independent Slovakia since 1993). In another part of the forum, however, I offer you links to a few Slovak boyactors known in the Czech Republic.

Slovak boyactors are for example:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

and more. I know about these Slovak boyactors because the films with them are on Czech TV.
« Last Edit: 19. Aug 2019 at 01:02 by Lubomír Nový »  

IP Logged

Lubomír Nový
Bronze Member

BA Member

Re: Slovak boyactors
Reply #1 - 19. Aug 2019 at 00:02
Print Post  
Slovak kids actors (present):

Slovak kids actors (ex ... = czechoslovak kids actors):

These databases also include girlactors

IP Logged

Lubomír Nový
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 19. Aug 2019 at 00:21
Print Post  

IP Logged

Lubomír Nový
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 22. Aug 2019 at 15:02
Print Post  
Gregor Hraška is born in Slovakia

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 22. Aug 2019 at 15:07
Print Post  
Lubomír Nový wrote on 22. Aug 2019 at 15:02:
Gregor Hraška is born in Slovakia

Probably, but do we know this? Is there an online site which states his place of birth?

IP Logged

Lubomír Nový
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 23. Aug 2019 at 11:49
Print Post  
Gregor Hraška is Slovak boysactor.
He is unlikely to be born elsewhere than in Slovakia

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 23. Aug 2019 at 12:20
Print Post  
Yes, but the problem with that is that if we simply classify actors' place of birth on the basis of what is 'likely', then, although our guesses will no doubt be correct in a majority of cases, in a minority of cases we will be wrong, so errors will inevitably creep into the database, and gradually increase in number. Take the American actor Julian Feder (who is in the database). Because he's American you would naturally guess that he was born in America. But as it turns out, he was born in Japan. With regard to Gregor Hraška, you are right to say that "He is unlikely to be born elsewhere than in Slovakia." But it does not logically follow from this that (as you earlier stated) "Gregor Hraška is born in Slovakia". This latter statement, it now turns out, was a mere surmise. People visiting the database will no doubt surmise this anyway from his Slovak name. But there is no reason for us to state Slovakia as his place of birth as though we have access to some source of information about his biography which confirms this, when in fact we do not. When an actor is added to the database, there is a requirement on the 'Add a New Actor' page to specify the Date of Birth Source - i.e. to say where the knowledge of the actor's date of birth comes from. This is precisely in order to preserve the reliability of the database so far as possible. I personally think this is important. What is the point of having a database if the information contained in it is not reliable? Of course, errors will creep in anyway, since we're only human, and we rely on visitors and contributors to point out the errors so that they can be corrected. But we nevertheless strive, so far as possible, to maintain the accuracy of basic information, and this means that we do require some kind of verification, even of the most minimal kind.

If we are going to relax standards of reliability then we might as well be IMDb!!!

IP Logged

Moony1980
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 23. Aug 2019 at 21:56
Print Post  
diogenes wrote on 23. Aug 2019 at 12:20:
Take the American actor Julian Feder (who is in the database). Because he's American you would naturally guess that he was born in America. But as it turns out, he was born in Japan.

did Julian move to Singapore from Japan when was a baby?

I got a fact about Julian Feder.
He lived in Singapore until age 10 to move out to USA.

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 24. Aug 2019 at 00:23
Print Post  
Moony1980 wrote on 23. Aug 2019 at 21:56:
did Julian move to Singapore from Japan when was a baby?

Presumably, though I wouldn't know the details. All online sources confirm he was born in Tokyo and brought up in Singapore.

IP Logged

nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 24. Aug 2019 at 01:36
Print Post  
From a non-admin perspective, this project seems a drain on the admins' time and energy that does not serve the site's audience particularly well. It appears that most of these actors are already in a database that is in their native language; and that many or most of the films they appear in are without subtitles and/ or inaccessible outside of TV broadcasts; the biographical information is unreliable or in a foreign language.

My suggestion to Lubomir would be to look at how other users tend to submit actors or movies for potential inclusion in the database. Just dropping long lists of links with demands to turn them into entries is not really how it's done.

IP Logged

Lubomír Nový
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #10 - 24. Aug 2019 at 10:11
Print Post  
The Czech Republic and Slovakia are separate countries. They speak Czech and Slovak. If it is not FDB, Osobnosti, ČSFD , wiki ... place of birth, it is usually because the municipality, city, eg Prague is unknown ... The fact that Czechs were born in the Czech Republic and Slovaks in Slovakia is certain for more as much as 99% (they are just exceptions, mostly known).

FDB and IMDb are complemented by people ... I am one of those who write it there ... I usually don't know the village, town, village where the actor was born. In our country it is considered logical that he was born in our country (Slovaks in Slovakia). This will place the Czech boyactor among the Czech boyactors, the Slovak boyactor among the Slovak boyactors. It is a little different in Czechoslovakia (born before January 1, 1993). Although we were Czechs and Slovaks (difference in language) but OK, we were Czechoslovaks.
So I put the boyactors to the ground and then I can't think of a Slovak Hraška as an African ...

An error can happen, but it is unlikely and will not hurt so much ... And as you write, it can be repaired immediately.

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #11 - 24. Aug 2019 at 11:17
Print Post  
Yes, but the point I was making is that people will infer for themselves that it is highly likely that (for example) a Slovak actor who acts in Slovak films was most probably born in Slovakia. If we ourselves add 'Place of Birth: Slovakia' then we are claiming some kind of knowledge of their place of birth over and above what any visitor to the site might infer for themselves. If we are in fact just guessing then to make this statement will be, to say the least, highly misleading.

Errors might not 'hurt so much', but surely it is best to avoid them, don't you think? What is the point of pretending that we know things that we do not? I would like people to be able to consult this database knowing that we would not put information in the database unless we truly knew that it was accurate. One problem with IMDb is precisely that contributors make guesses. I have many times discovered that the information on IMDb is woefully inaccurate. Frequently, IMDb actually conflates actors that have the same, or even just similar, names. Sometimes, when I have set up an actor Profile, I have said in a Note that the actor is "not to be confused with the actor of the same name from x decades ago" (or whatever), precisely because the actor's IMDb page has made that confusion. A few times when I've been setting up an actor Profile page, I have decided not to include the IMDb link because the information on the IMDb page is so wildly and demonstrably false that there seems no point.

Of course, BA relies heavily on IMDb anyway for a lot of basic information, including, sometimes, places of birth. In such cases, we just hope that the person who made the contribution was not guessing, but had actual knowledge. But when even IMDb won't hazard a place of birth, then we should not add to the amount of inaccurate information swirling around online by making false epistemic claims for ourselves.

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #12 - 24. Aug 2019 at 12:53
Print Post  
nightwatcher wrote on 24. Aug 2019 at 01:36:
From a non-admin perspective, this project seems a drain on the admins' time and energy that does not serve the site's audience particularly well. It appears that most of these actors are already in a database that is in their native language; and that many or most of the films they appear in are without subtitles and/ or inaccessible outside of TV broadcasts; the biographical information is unreliable or in a foreign language.

My suggestion to Lubomir would be to look at how other users tend to submit actors or movies for potential inclusion in the database. Just dropping long lists of links with demands to turn them into entries is not really how it's done.

I very much agree with this.

On the Links page of the BA database, there is included a link to FDb.cz, so anyone particularly interested in Czech and Slovak actors can access that database directly from this site.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print