Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic YouTube Channel (Read 8,422 times)
diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

YouTube Channel
23. Mar 2020 at 19:26
Print Post  
YouTube have recently removed two short films from my YouTube channel, for supposedly violating their rules. They removed "Ártún" (2014) because it showed kids engaged in a potentially injurious activity. They did not further explain what they meant, but I assume it was just that in one scene the boys were smoking.

They have today removed Pasolini's "La Canta delle marane" (1961). This time, their email message didn't even give an explanation beyond 'Inappropriate content'. Apparently, the great Pasolini is now 'inappropriate'.

There's an appeal process, but it is obviously completely pointless once they've made a decision, so I shan't bother.

It seems likely that this will be a permanent problem. It just takes one person who wants to feel virtuous by interfering in the lives of others to flag up a video. Furthermore, YouTube email messages telling me that they've taken down a video tend to be backed with vague but unpleasant threats that I can, to be honest, do without.

So I have decided that I shall delete my YouTube channel (and remove the links to the films on the appropriate Profile pages - this will only affect 14 movie Profiles).

I shall keep the channel open for a short while if anyone wants to view or download any of the movies.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: YouTube Channel
Reply #1 - 26. Mar 2020 at 13:42
Print Post  
*UPDATE*

Well, I've relented a little - I'll keep the channel up for the time being, though any more nasty emails from YouTube and I might delete the whole thing.

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 29. Mar 2020 at 21:54
Print Post  
I know all about YouTube and its 'Team' who decide what is 'appropriate' and what isn't. I have been banned by daring to comment that boys wrestling would look better in Speedos. Now it's got to the stage where kids putting their videos on YouTube often have comments not allowed so the poor kids don't know what people think of their videos.
Who these censors are nobody knows and though I appealed it didn't make any difference.  Cry

IP Logged

Cali_Surf

BA Member

Reply #3 - 18. Apr 2020 at 21:02
Print Post  
Keep the channel and delete your content so YT doesn't benefit from views. Keep it and 'like' content you like so you can find it again.

PS Artun is still on YT from a Russian user.

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 18. Apr 2020 at 23:37
Print Post  
Cali_Surf wrote on 18. Apr 2020 at 21:02:
PS Artun is still on YT from a Russian user.

The version from the Russian user, besides being low quality, is a censored version - in one scene the picture is reframed so that a portion of the picture on the bottom edge of the original film is no longer visible. So far as I know, the uncensored version is now not available to view anywhere on the internet (at least not for free).

Since the purpose of my channel is precisely to make movies with database profiles available to view - where they are not available to view elsewhere - I don't see how this purpose could be served by deleting all my content.

IP Logged

Cali_Surf

BA Member

Reply #5 - 19. Apr 2020 at 19:05
Print Post  
diogenes wrote on 18. Apr 2020 at 23:37:
Since the purpose of my channel is precisely to make movies with database profiles available to view - where they are not available to view elsewhere - I don't see how this purpose could be served by deleting all my content.

You are the one who mentioned deleting your YouTube account because you are mad at YouTube. I merely suggested an alternative that "hurts" YouTube, but allows you to continue to search out and enjoy content.

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 20. Apr 2020 at 00:15
Print Post  
Cali_Surf wrote on 19. Apr 2020 at 19:05:
I merely suggested an alternative that "hurts" YouTube, but allows you to continue to search out and enjoy content.

Well, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, though, this misses the point of the channel. The point of the channel was to make movies available that would not otherwise be available. That is all. If YouTube keep deleting my uploads then this purpose is thwarted, and there is no way round it, I'm afraid. But thanks all the same. I meant no offence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print