Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Respiro (2002) (Read 5,717 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Respiro (2002)
02. Sep 2002 at 16:30
Print Post  

Respiro is a recent Italian release which was screened at Giffoni, like today's other films. The film has made it across the pond to be a selection in Toronto's film fest this year. I have hope of seeing it somewhere in the states this season. Francesco Casisa plays Pasquale. This synopsis comes from the website of the film's producer.  

Lampedusa today.
Pasquale, 13 years old, is a little hunter, leader of a pack of youngsters who spend their time hunting birds with a slingshot in the arid, dusty countryside around Lampedusa and contend for the hunting territory with rival bands.
Like everyone who lives in the town, Pasquale spends his evenings on Via Roma, a street three hundred yards long and no wider than six. Along with the other boys Pasquale shows off with exhausting stunts on his souped-up Vespa, to impress the young girls.
Pasquale has only one boss, his father Pietro. A generous, violent man, loved and feared. He is the male model, imitated and worshipped.
A secret, conflicting love with his mother Grazia who is the "disgrace" of the family. She is considered a "strange" woman, different from all the others, can't seem to stay in her place, is closely watched by the whole community, pitied, a source of continuous worry and gossip. A woman who needs "straightening out". Fragile, unforeseeable and misunderstood. Pasquale is ashamed of her but can't help but defend her, protect her from the ever increasing pressure by the town and by his father who wants to hospitalise her in Milan.
Pasquale decides to hide his mother in a cave, get her away from the crushing weight of the town moralism, making everyone believe that she took her life by disappearing in the sea. This causes Pietro incurable remorse and to the whole community that keeps on searching the coastal waters in the hope of finding her body.
For the first time in her life Grazia is alone and free from staring people, visited by her son who feeds her and takes care of her inside the cave he has found.
The days go by and Pasquale is afraid, he realises that he can't keep his mother hidden forever.
It's San Bartolo's feast night and the island children compete in building tall stacks of wood at the edge of the sea. These will then be lit by the adults in honour of the Saint who they ask to burn the past in order to start a more purified life. The flames reflect in the calm sea, illuminating Grazia's face as she emerges as if by miracle.
--------------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 08. Feb 2004 at 03:44 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Respiro (2002)
Reply #1 - 07. Sep 2002 at 11:51
Print Post  
Thanks, Zab, for all of these reviews.

And thanks to you too, Cal, for doing all of these movie profiles. We're getting a great collection of little-known movies in our database, and I really believe that BoyActs is becoming premiere among the boymovie websites in the world. Well, along with some other real good ones, anyway. Smiley

I was just thinking about how rare it would be for Hollywood to make a movie like this one, with a plot that is so character-driven, and not something that everyone would relate to very much, either. I mean, it's been a few years since anyone I know has hidden their mother in a cave.

Oh, it's been a few years since I've seen a live boy in a speedo, too. Thanks, Mr Zabladowski. Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Respiro (2002)
Reply #2 - 17. Sep 2002 at 00:30
Print Post  
I found the following review in usenet the other day. The film festival being discussed is Boston's.

"Respiro" finished up our film festival tonight with quite an afti fireworks display.  Do yourself a favor and write this title down now. "Respiro."  Especially you, Philo, because I want to know when that DVD is announced.  Smiley

"Respiro" is about a closely-knit Italian family living in a poor seaside village.  The main characters are Pasquale, who's about 14, played by Francesco Cassisa, and Filippo Pucillo, about 11, playing his brother Filippo.  Life on their beach has its share of fun in the sun, but it is not all easy.  Rival gangs fight on the beach, and torment the losers by stripping them naked to walk home in shame.  Their family, although strong and loving, is torn up over a mother whose mental illness puts her in wild mood swings of euphoria and despair.
The older boy becomes a protector as his mother tries to run from those who would banish her to an institution.  The younger boy is fearless in his own way, ordering his relatives and neighbors around and mocking
the local policemen as he's seen his father do. I don't want to paint this movie as too gloomy.  There are a lot of happy moments for everyone involved.  When the mother is in her better moods, she can sweep everyone away to swim in the ocean or go sailing, and suddenly it seems like paradise.  Despite a somewhat murky ending,
this is a film that will leave a lasting impression for the characters, the scenery, and the story.  "Respiro" was a grand prize winner at the Cannes Film Festival.

Fans of VB's will have a very good time with "Respiro."  With a multitude of beach and swimming scenes, you can guess that the wardrobe
department is not overly busy.  In fact, close to half the movie falls into this category.  With its appealing stars and interesting characters, this movie is a real winner.  Check out some pictures from the film here: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and start waiting impatiently for whenever that DVD gets announced.
3.5 stars for the movie, and 3.5 stars for the young actors.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Respiro (2002)
Reply #3 - 10. Oct 2002 at 22:16
Print Post  
I have great news for anyone with a high speed internet connection and an interest in this film. The website (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) has a 15 minute extract from the film available to watch. Just follow my link, the film is listed as Grazia's Island on the page. Click on the word GO! and you will be able to view 3 pictures and this clip. Two of the three stills shown here are included in the extract, which is subtitled in English.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print