Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Na Planincah (2003) (Read 6,438 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Na Planincah (2003)
26. Feb 2004 at 20:49
Print Post  

Na Planincah, which is called On The Sunny Side in English is a new film from Slovenia which will be screening for the first time in the US next month at the Cleveland International Film Festival. I know very little about this film at present, but the promo pictures and story sound promising.....

Ado and Suni, two self-sufficient Bosnian brothers, are spending summer the usual way: visiting Slovenia, staying at the high-rise of their jovial, childless uncle and his wife. Younger, pubescent Suni isn't as enthusiastic about the change of scenery as Ado, who is learning Slovenian for his new girlfriend. But Suni soon joins a gang of rascals his own age; he plays ball, trespasses, gets into scrapes and tries to look up girls' skirts. While an earthy, universal coming-of-age story - during a life changing summer. ON THE SUNNY SIDE also reminds us that many kids lost their parents in battle over the past several years. This is a different Balkans than the minefield locale of Summer in the Golden Valley. [Zab's note - refer to (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) for comments on that film]
This is a healing land. Infernoes of war have burned themselves out, mortar-guns are at last silent, and an unscarred generation from all racial affiliations and faiths can just be kids again, sporting, roughhousing and falling in love without fear.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 10. Apr 2004 at 06:05 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Na Planincah (2003)
Reply #1 - 27. Feb 2004 at 11:03
Print Post  
Now, that's a dvd I would buy, if they just put one of those photos on the cover of it.   Grin

Thanks for mentioning it, Zab.  I hope it plays near me someday.

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #2 - 28. Feb 2004 at 02:23
Print Post  
And what beautiful kids they are.  I couldn't bear to watch news during the times when all the shooting and bombing was going on there.  They always showed pics of maimed and disfigured children.

I hope I get to see this film too!

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 02. Mar 2004 at 08:20
Print Post  
Thanks Zab...  looks like another must see.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 02. Mar 2004 at 21:44
Print Post  
I'm hoping to journey to Cleveland for the opening.

I'll be sure to follow up on this if I do. Smiley

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #5 - 28. Mar 2004 at 21:56
Print Post  
I did get to see this.  Smiley

The plot summary nails this. The story mines some familiar territory but its tone is exceptionally earthy.
Variety stated in their review that this was the marketing problem with the film; were it not for the emphasis on sex, it would be perfect programming for younger viewers. Of course that's the opinion of an American publication. It would be interesting to know how the film was received in Slovenia.

Filip Duric is the name of our star with the captivating eyes and Blaz Marincelj plays his pal.
Filip's character is the center of the story and commands much screen time. This is worth seeing.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 10. Apr 2004 at 06:15
Print Post  
Zab,

I've added a profile for this movie. Could you please check it to see that I've got the details correct.

Also, how old is Ado, and can he be identified?

IMBd seems to have completely neglected Filip Duric.   ???

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #7 - 10. Apr 2004 at 10:51
Print Post  
I don't know for sure who plays Ado, but he is out of our target age range anyway, I'd guess he's late-teens/early 20's. The two lead boys are only identifiable at this point because I wrote down their names while the credits were rolling  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print