Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Grand Chemin, Le (1987) (Read 11,771 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Grand Chemin, Le (1987)
05. Dec 2001 at 08:42
Print Post  

This is one of the many excellent French movies which focuses on the world of a boy.

IMDb plot summary:
Louis, a nine-year-old boy from Paris, spends his summer vacation in a small town in Brittany. His mother
Claire has lodged him with her girlfriend Marcelle and her husband Pelo while she's having her second baby. There Louis makes friends with Martine, the ten-year- old girl next door, and learns from her about life.

My Movie Rating  8/10
My Boy Movie Rating 10/10
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 04:58 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Le Grand Chemin (France-1987)
Reply #1 - 05. Dec 2001 at 10:02
Print Post  
I have this one on vhs, Cal, and have wished for a dvd copy, too.  I did fall in love with little Louis, and couldn't believe a father would disappear from the life of a little boy so precious.

This movie had a deeper meaning for me, too.  It's the one that my wife walked in on me while I was enjoying a freeze frame moment late at night downstairs, and walked into the kitchen for a second while the frame was still frozen on the screen.  When I got back to the room with the television, and saw her standing there looking at the frame frozen on the screen, it was like the denouement of my life's story.  That defining moment when I had to say, 'Yes, I love that boy on the screen, and all that he is.  I love you, too, but my love for that boy isn't going to go away.'  Didn't turn out to be a bad moment; no, not at all.  We even watched a few foreign flicks together thereafter.  Smiley

I do still love that boy, though.  Always will...

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

youngboy 16
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10. Dec 2001 at 16:04
Print Post  
yes.... he is a handsome looking boy

SirJ.. I'm glad it worked out with your wife...
I'm also dreading the day when I have to do the same and explain myself!

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 10. Dec 2001 at 20:31
Print Post  
Oh yeah, it worked out fine.  She's gone now.  Smiley

She did call last week and tell me she's moving back to town, though.  I'll have to see if she wants to come over and watch some more foreign flicks.  Smiley

I've been ordering a few lately so I'll be stocked up with plenty to watch over the upcoming holidays!  If you enter Le Grand Chemin in the search engine at Amazon.com and then click on 'show more like this' or whatever that link is, they have lots of good movies to order.  Too many!  Sir Jacob has to take a break from ordering for awhile.  Smiley

(*eyes twinkling*... He's located a copy of 'Edges of the Lord' through another source now, though.  If he gets it, caps will be coming soon!)

Love,
Sir Jacob

(Edited by Sir Jacob at 11:19 pm on Dec. 11, 2001)

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11. Dec 2001 at 21:18
Print Post  
Sir Jacob, you are absolutely incorrigible!

IP Logged

youngboy 16
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12. Dec 2001 at 06:20
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote: from youngboy 16 on 3:18 am on Dec. 12, 2001
Sir Jacob, you are absolutely incorrigible!

.... shucks... Wink

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #6 - 12. Dec 2001 at 22:24
Print Post  
Aw, I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to make light of divorce.  It wasn't my idea, anyway.  I just came home and she was gone one day.

Hey, she left all of my good movies, though!  Smiley

Some women are just special like that... hehe

Oh, I got 'Nico and Dani' from my orders yesterday, and it was okay.  The boys are too old for most here, but the love scenes between them are pretty bold, I think.  'Small Change' arrived today, but I'm saving that for the weekend.  Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

cmbudx
Bronze Member

L'editeur

Reply #7 - 10. Apr 2002 at 21:26
Print Post  
This movie was released last month on R2 DVD in French with no subtitles.  The disk includes a recent 24-minute interview with the director interspersed with clips from the movie and with comments from Antoine.  It is interesting to see him all grown up -- he is quite a handsome young man.
« Last Edit: 27. Aug 2003 at 11:21 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 11. Apr 2002 at 06:33
Print Post  
What a handsome boy he was too.  Many 'cute' kids loose their good looks when they grow up, Ronny Howard is a perfect example, he was cute as a little fella but it didn't translate well to adulthood.  Macaulay Culkin is another.

As a boy I think Antoine was 'handsome' rather than cute so he had a better chance of retaining his good looks. I'd love to see a full set of DVD images from this movie, especially the 'essential' visual bonuses that the movie contained.  I actually do have a sizeable collection of fairly good quality 'caps' from VHS but they are nowhere near as clear as the DVD 'caps' you have posted.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #9 - 13. Apr 2002 at 13:22
Print Post  
cmbudx has made an excellent set of captures from this movie...  I've uploaded 50 of them to a gallery which is accessible on the following movie profile page. There are more than 50 in the entire set. The remainder of the captures will be available elsewhere or on request.

many thanks for the excellent caps, cmbudx.
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 04:58 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

del bosque
Silver Member

Reply #10 - 13. Apr 2002 at 20:29
Print Post  
I'm new to this board but i've been lurking for some time.  It's a sweet board !  wasn't Grand Chemin remade
with Elijah Wood as the boy & Don johnson/melanie Griffiths as the olds  (1989) ?  It was nowhere as good as the french movie but Elijah looked Grrrrand !

IP Logged

HuckFinn
Silver Member

Reply #11 - 13. Apr 2002 at 22:43
Print Post  
Welcome del bosque!

You're right, the E. Wood version wasn't as good as the French one, but still very nice.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #12 - 14. Apr 2002 at 05:15
Print Post  
G'day del bosque.. welcome to BA.

I like the American version too, particularly because of Elijah, but it was still a decent enough movie.  The only thing that bugs me about American remakes is the 'sanitization' of the themes and scenes.

IP Logged

cmbudx
Bronze Member

L'editeur

Reply #13 - 14. Apr 2002 at 08:56
Print Post  
Welcome, del bosque!

Thanks for bringing back old memories.  I saw the version with Elijah Wood first.  Those were the days before I knew that European films were often more interesting than those from America.  When I found out that this was a remake and I looked up the original, it opened up a whole new world of movies for me.

I guess it was my gateway to the more serious stuff.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
Ex Member

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #14 - 14. Apr 2002 at 11:44
Print Post  
Hiii, del bosque Smiley  I've seen the original French one, but not the US remake.  I'm waaay behind on movies.  I'm due for another look at Elijah's amazing eyes (and what-not Smiley )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print