Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Jake's Progress... (Read 8,058 times)
Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

Jake's Progress...
24. Feb 2002 at 15:07
Print Post  
As promised, here's more caps from UK shores. Barclay Wright in Jake's Progress - fantastic tv drama series from 1996 by Alan Bleasdale, also starring Robert Lindsay & Julie Walters. Barclay's performance was superb, and it's a crying shame the only other thing he seems to've done is a bit part in Event Horizon.
Anyway, here he is..

love,
Bijou
« Last Edit: 06. Oct 2008 at 21:23 by Quantum »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Jake's Progress...
Reply #1 - 24. Feb 2002 at 16:40
Print Post  
Ah, Bijou, wonderful series again!  Young Barclay Wright was beautiful, and I'm sorry he didn't go on to make any feature-lengthed movies that we might be able to get our hands on outside of the UK. I can just imagine his delightful UK accent... *sigh*... Yes, I know you hear those all the time, but some of us melt when we hear them. Smiley

It looks like young Jake might have had some sibling rivalry issues to deal with when the new baby baby brother arrived, huh? Gee, I wish I could see this series! You did a great job of letting us see the range of emotions, and even follow some of the story lines a bit.

Oh, the links to pics 33 and 34 (I think it was, where mom seems to be pregnant?) weren't working. I didn't check out the full-sized view of all 100, but even though I didn't intend to at first visit, I probably did enlarge 90 of them! They were just great! Thank you!

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Jake's Progress...
Reply #2 - 24. Feb 2002 at 20:31
Print Post  
Ok. That settles it. You're going to have to get a streaming video server and put the whole series on so we can tune in and see this adorable boy in action.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Jake's Progress...
Reply #3 - 25. Feb 2002 at 06:13
Print Post  
The UK makes the best mini series in the world.  Jake's Progress has been shown here in Oz at least three times.  Barclay Wright gives what is equal to the best performance I've ever seen by a boy actor.

I hadn't got any decent caps from this series or The Upper Hand, so thanks for your hard work Bijou.

Oh btw, just in case,  there are several other UK mini series which were almost as brilliant.  If you have them maybe you could do a series of caps from them as well.  Ones that come to mind are The Choir,  The Singing Detective, GBH, The Orchid House, and Seaforth.

Also these kids series...  Chocky, Eye of the Storm,  Grange Hill, Kevin and Co.

Don't want much do I,  heheh

IP Logged

Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

Jake's Progress...
Reply #4 - 25. Feb 2002 at 11:03
Print Post  
Funnily enough, GBH is beginning another re-run on UK Drama this evening....was going to tape it anyway. The young Michael Murray is verrry cute Smiley Tho he only gets a small part in the series.
Yes, I should be scouring the 4pm weekday schedules...haven't seen Grange Hill in yeeears...I think its still running....tho I don't think Sean Maguire & Paul Adams can be beaten on looks on that programme Smiley

I'm glad people appreciate Barclay as much as I do :biggrin:

love,
Bijou

IP Logged

YoungArthur
Ex Member

Hagrid's Helper

Jake's Progress...
Reply #5 - 25. Feb 2002 at 23:47
Print Post  
Beautiful Smiley  Funny, as I viewed the caps I was thinking just what Sir Jacob was:  How I'd love to hear his voice..

Yes, that UK accent out of the mouth of a boy is really sweet music.  *thinking of James Aubrey in LOTF *

IP Logged

Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

Jake's Progress...
Reply #6 - 26. Feb 2002 at 01:20
Print Post  
Well, at the mo I haven't got the right lead to cap sound off my video, but when I have, I'll do a couple of WAVs if you want...
Barclay has a northern accent, and yes, he does have a sweet voice Smiley

love,
Bijou

IP Logged

Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

Jake's Progress...
Reply #7 - 03. Mar 2002 at 12:29
Print Post  
Well, as promised, here's a couple of WAVs... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

...and I've done some caps of another fantastic tv series - Kid In The Corner - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

love,
Bijou

IP Logged

youngboy 16
Ex Member

Jake's Progress...
Reply #8 - 03. Mar 2002 at 15:31
Print Post  
OMG....
where does he have his finger?

IP Logged

YoungArthur
Ex Member

Hagrid's Helper

Jake's Progress...
Reply #9 - 03. Mar 2002 at 17:49
Print Post  
Yes, I'm melting *sigh*  :angel:

Thanks much for going to that trouble, Bijou.  You really come through!

IP Logged

Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

Jake's Progress...
Reply #10 - 04. Mar 2002 at 01:21
Print Post  
Hehehe, I believe you're talking about the first couple of Barclay caps yb Wink In that scene, his parents are having a bit of nookie, and Jake comes in and wakes his dad up by prodding his backside.

Glad you liked them YoungArthur Smiley Its unfortunate that Channel 4 haven't seen fit to issue the series on video.

love,
Bijou

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Jake's Progress...
Reply #11 - 06. Mar 2002 at 22:18
Print Post  
Thanks for the wonderful caps again, Bijou, and the wav files are simply great!

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Re: Jake's Progress...
Reply #12 - 06. Oct 2008 at 21:17
Print Post  
Just discovered something interesting about this and Barclay. I'd always thought that Barclay gave one of the best American accents I'd heard for a British kid that age, but it turns out that the American accent was really his own accent - Barclay was born in California and lived there until 2 years before the series was filmed, when he moved to the UK (there's no trace of an American accent in his current voice).
So it turns out that the totally convincing northern British accent was the result of a dialect coach and not his own accent.

Whether I listen to any more of the commentary on the DVDs or just dip into bits and pieces Smiley

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #13 - 07. Oct 2008 at 07:36
Print Post  
It's out on DVD?

Envy!

I remember this series vividly. Highly recommended.

Interesting info about his accent.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #14 - 07. Oct 2008 at 13:52
Print Post  
No Region 1 DVD, though, as far as I can tell. I'd really like to see this one day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print