Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Glasskår (Scars) (2002) (Read 7,645 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Glasskår (Scars) (2002)
02. Sep 2002 at 16:58
Print Post  

Glasskår, whose English title is "Scars", is a Norwegian film which won or shared the award for best picture at this year's Giffoni, Montevideo, Norwegian and Berlin Kinder film fests. Its boy stars are Eirik Stigar, Martin Jonny Raaen Eidissen and Eirik Evjen, who won the best actor award at Giffoni as well. Of all the new Scandanavian films, this is the one I most want to see. The synopsis I am using comes from the Giffoni website; a summary with a different spin can be seen at the website of the Norwegian Film Institute at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Viktor has two friends, Arnor and Roger, and one idol: his brother Ole Kristian, nicknamed OK, who is the best hockey player in the area. The boy would do anything to be like his brother and be as successful as he is with girls. With the help of his friends Viktor decides to draw a little bit of attention to himself by forming a rock group. In the meantime OK breaks his arm and when he comes home from hospital he doesn’t seem to be quite the same. Viktor guesses that something has changed and soon makes a series of incredible and painful discoveries. His brother is seriously ill, and what is more, he is the son of a friend of the family who had an affair with his mother in the past. As if this was not enough, OK is secretly seeing Car, the most beautiful girl in town, who is also the girlfriend of Remi, a delinquent who terrorises the local children and who could even kill OK. Viktor finds himself facing some difficult situations: he falls in love with Sissel, an enterprising girl who intimidates him; he has to make sure that Remi does not discover Car’s infidelity, and above all he must come to grips with the illness that is taking his brother from him.

--------------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 01. Jul 2008 at 04:27 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Glasskår (2001)
Reply #1 - 05. Sep 2002 at 00:41
Print Post  
Socksoles,

Your dvd finding skills are very impressive!  Shocked

Now if the producers of these films would just release a version of these films in a language I understand, I'd be set. I appreciate your efforts, you are leading me to more online retailers than I ever knew about, I'm bookmarking all of the sites you suggest for future reference.

IP Logged

GerryGray
Ex Member

Glasskår (2001)
Reply #2 - 09. Sep 2002 at 21:15
Print Post  
Saw "Glassskår" here when it was still running in Cinemas. Absolutely well-worth watching, particularly if you grew up in the 80s, because it has a lot of 80s references in it.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Glasskår (2001)
Reply #3 - 11. Sep 2002 at 11:08
Print Post  
I am very happy to tell you all that today I found a website that sells the DVD R2 and ships outside Norway as well. Have a look at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) The site is in English as well.

You can also have a look at the official website of the movie: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
'soles'

-----------
images expired
« Last Edit: 08. Feb 2004 at 03:51 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Glasskår (2001)
Reply #4 - 11. Sep 2002 at 22:20
Print Post  
Thanks for the link to the official site, 'soles!

Thanks to you I now have 5 clips downloaded from this movie to tide me over until I learn Norwegian or the producers agree to add English subtitles to their product.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Glasskår (2001)
Reply #5 - 11. Sep 2002 at 23:01
Print Post  
Uh-oh, I ordered it today. (Thanks for the link to that site, socksoles. I wanted to see if R2 dvd's will play on my computer, for sure.) No subtitling in English, huh? hehe  I guess I'll have to learn Norweigan pretty quickly. Smiley

I really just wanted to make sure I could play the R2 dvd's of the movies that the Hubert brothers have been in, and all of Antoine du Merle's movies, too, if I can find someone who ships here.

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Glasskår (2001)
Reply #6 - 15. Sep 2002 at 15:44
Print Post  
Maybe there's hope for an English version yet. Scars will make it's American debut at the Chicago International Children's Film Festival next month!

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Glasskår (2001)
Reply #7 - 09. Oct 2002 at 15:16
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote: from socksoles on 12:08 pm on Sep. 11, 2002
I am very happy to tell you all that today I found a website that sells the DVD R2 and ships outside Norway as well. Have a look at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) The site is in English as well.

Great site, and gotta love the English, but they say they will not ship outside of Europe! :wzbigcry:

Did anyone notice that 24% Tax Rate?  I would gladly pay that to be able to get some films, tho!

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Glasskår (2001)
Reply #8 - 15. Oct 2002 at 08:05
Print Post  
<em> I did see that, but was not sure, but I will give it a try!  I *really do* need the films!    Maybe I can claim "medical emergency" or something...  </em>

Sure. Just tell them, "I'm dieing to see the movie." What compassinate norwegian could turn down a death-bed plea?

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Glasskår (2001)
Reply #9 - 12. Nov 2002 at 00:01
Print Post  
Scars won the adult jury prize for best film in this year's Chicago International Children's film festival!
I was able to see this and it is another top 10 film of the year for me. The film is sad but quietly powerful, the emotion builds as the story unfolds. There is no John Williamsesque score to tell you when to be moved, you have to figure that out for yourself.Cheesy
I completely disagree with the Norwegian Film Institute  synopsis which suggests the film could have a more wacky tone to it. There are comedic elements in the film (Eirik Stigar's Gene Simmons impersonation for example) but they serve as comic relief to prevent the mood turning from sad to depressed.
As Gerry Gray pointed out, the film is set in the 80's. F.R. David's eurodance hit "Words" is used to great effect in the soundtrack to help evoke the music of that era. I also recognized the boys' rendition of Europe's "The Final Countdown."
Eirik Evjen is solid in the lead role; Martin Jonny Raaen Eidissen and Ferdinand Falsen Hiis are sure to be noticed by anyone here for their supporting work.

Bottom line movie rating 9/10 boy movie rating 10/10 see this film!

P.S. to MikeZ and Sir J: Did you guys (or anyone else for that matter) ever succeed in getting the dvd shipped to the US????

(Edited by Zabladowski at 2:03 am on Nov. 12, 2002)

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Glasskår (2001)
Reply #10 - 15. Nov 2002 at 02:30
Print Post  
<i>P.S. to MikeZ and Sir J: Did you guys (or anyone else for that matter) ever succeed in getting the dvd shipped to the US????</i>

I did.  :biggrin:

I haven't even had the chance to watch it yet, though. I had to get the Region-killer link from Link, first, for my computer. Smiley

You can get it from these folks, and it cost 195,00 kr, whatever that is. I'm anxious to see what that converts to in U.S. dollars, though I really should have checked before I ordered it, I guess. (Gosh, I hope it wasn't too much!) Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print