Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Rhapsody in August (1991) (Read 4,785 times)
wwaabbiitt
Silver Member

Rhapsody in August (1991)
07. Sep 2002 at 20:41
Print Post  

Rhapsody in August (1991) is not a "boy" movie per se, but there is a very appealing boy throughout.  A grandmother, caring for her 4 grandchildren, relates the circumstances surrounding the death of the grandfather during the bombing of Nagasaki.  The film does give one the sense you are witnessing actual family interactions, but I found it rather "talky" (is "subtitlely" a word?); not much happens.  Some of the IMDb reviewers totally loved it, though.  I thought Mitsunori Isaki, playing the youngest grandson, Shinjiro, was very appealing (and in shorts and barefoot for much of the film -- not that sophisticated readers here are interested in such irrelevant trivia) -- has anyone here seen any of his other films?  What was remarkable about his performance was that he was very fidgety -- just like a real boy!  I wonder if that was "directed" into him, or they just let him be himself?  It was very real, and cute; I can't off the top of my head recall that in any other film.

-----------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 05:14 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sensitive Stephen
Ex Member

Rhapsody in August
Reply #1 - 07. Sep 2002 at 21:29
Print Post  
Cute boy! He looks like the Japanese equivalent of "Ingemar" from "My Life as a Dog"! Smiley

Thanks for pointing out this interesting film, Wwaabbiitt. Was this one that you had taped from cable? (I don't know what the IFC logo means.)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Rhapsody in August
Reply #2 - 07. Sep 2002 at 23:52
Print Post  
IFC stands for Independent Film Channel. They play LOTS of good movies and if I had satellite or digital cable, that would probably be the first channel I would subscribe to.

Great review, wwaabbiitt, and nice caps too. It's true that the boy kind of looks like a Japanese version of Ingemar.

By the way, I named my cat Ingemar, after the character from <i>My Life as a Dog</i> (my favourite boymovie). Smiley

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Rhapsody in August
Reply #3 - 09. Sep 2002 at 09:48
Print Post  
My gosh ...  he has such a beautiful face.

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Re: Rhapsody in August (1991)
Reply #4 - 15. Jun 2015 at 20:39
Print Post  
Got to see this film up on the big screen last night.
Really enjoyed it.  Definitely worth a look.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Mitsunori Isaki

Cheesy

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Rhapsody in August (1991)
Reply #5 - 15. Jun 2015 at 22:02
Print Post  
Smiley I haveseen this very good movie many times. I have the DVD in japanese with french substitles.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print