Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Other, The (1972) (Read 6,047 times)
Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Other, The (1972)
09. Mar 2004 at 21:31
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Sorry I don't have any really great caps from this one, because it's one of my favorite "horror" movies of alltime.  There's nothing bloody about it, but it was a good movie that was well-directed (by Robert Mulligan, who did a little movie called 'To Kill a Mockingbird' ten years before he did this one), and even though the mystery of the movie is pretty easy to figure out as you go, it still plays out to a suspenseful conclusion.

Niles and Holland Perry (real twins Chris and Martin Udvarnoky, in their only movie appearance) are 10-year-old twins (or thereabouts) who are a bit like Jekyl and Hyde.  Niles is good, while Holland seems to have a habit of doing things that cause the death of people around him.  Or does he?  We're led to believe that Holland is the one behind all of the bad things that keep happening around the farm in 1935 Connecticut.  Only the grandmother of the twins seems to be able to figure out the truth... eventually.

Chris and Martin Udvarnoky are really good in this movie, and it surprises me that they don't have other movie credits.  (I did a pretty exhaustive search, and found several reviews of the movie, but no real good caps, and no follow-up information about the Udvarnoky brothers.)

Here's one site that had a few caps, but best of all has a RealPlayer video clip down near the bottom of the page that contains a pretty lengthy scene from the movie.

The video is available from Amazon.com, but you won't get it too cheap.

Love,
Sir J

« Last Edit: 07. Jul 2008 at 05:41 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Ivo

BA Member

Re: The Other (1972)
Reply #1 - 10. Mar 2004 at 04:13
Print Post  
Hello. This is one of my favourit movies. Last summer I had the oportunity to read the novel by Thomas Tryon too. The description of both twins are very very beautiful and the strange relationtship between them as well. I recomend it.
Lately I have read one of the Urdvanokys (I donīt remember well who of them) actually is a doctor, the other one is therapist (masseur or similar).
Which is the origin of the name Urdvanoky? In the novel both boys have a russian grandmother, and russian blood is very important -says the old woman- to receive the secret power they have. I live in Spain and we have more and more russian and slavic emigrants. They are for us very exotic.
I love russian young actors, most of them have this strange mistic looking that I love.
When we will have this movie on DVD?
Ivo

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

we want DVD!!!
Reply #2 - 10. Mar 2004 at 04:56
Print Post  

« Last Edit: 05. Mar 2024 at 13:25 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 10. Mar 2004 at 05:19
Print Post  
Thanks for starting this thread SJ...

I haven't seen this movie for many years so I'd certainly like to watch it again, it deserves a DVD release.

Welcome to BA Ivo. Thanks for posting a reply. I can think of a couple of reason to envy a person living in Spain... so consider yourself envied  Smiley

...Oh and I agree about Russian lads..  perhaps it's the combination of blond hair and fair skin along with that lack of inhibition that makes them so appealing.

Hosenhaus thanks for those additional pics from the movie...  oddly enough I didn't even have a folder for this film until now.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #4 - 10. Mar 2004 at 16:42
Print Post  
Thanks Sir Jacob for the fine review!

Welcome, Ivo.Smiley

Last summer I had the oportunity to read the novel by Thomas Tryon too. The description of both twins are very very beautiful and the strange relationtship between them as well. I recomend it.

I agree about Tryon's description of the twins.  Sadly, my mental picture of the twins from reading the novel  left me disappointed with the Udvarnoky brothers.  But they are cute and the movie is very well made.  I would get the DVD if it were available.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #5 - 10. Mar 2004 at 18:28
Print Post  
I really enjoyed this film when I saw it as well.

As far as I know, this is the Udvarnoky brothers only appearance on film or television. I would've liked to have seen more.

You are a dedicated fan, Ivo to have found resources on where they are now, thanks for the information.

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #6 - 29. Jun 2005 at 13:43
Print Post  
I thought the story was good, and the twins cute, but there acting lacked a little well realism

IP Logged

Eric

BA Member

Re: Other, The (1972)
Reply #7 - 05. Mar 2024 at 03:09
Print Post  
Hey folks, sorry for necroposting, but I just found this thread after posting this: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

If any of you see this, you might be interested in my post, especially the images. The Other is one of my all time favorite movies, even though I usually don't care much for horror. Those boys were just outstanding! Cheesy

Cheers,
Eric

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print