Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I'm not scared (Read 17,027 times)
YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Re: I'm not scared
Reply #15 - 26. May 2004 at 23:26
Print Post  
Is Miramax acting true to form as Joseph described?
I'm dying to see this one but Netflix still lists the release date as 'unknown.'  Tongue

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #16 - 26. May 2004 at 23:37
Print Post  
I'm sure this will get put on video eventually, YA.

The reason it can't be predicted when is because it's still in theatrical release in the US.
Yahoo! shows it to be playing on 57 screens at the moment, ranking it #32 in the box office last week.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

del bosque
Silver Member

Reply #17 - 30. May 2004 at 19:11
Print Post  
I really don't feel that the ending is Hollywood SPOILER WARNING:

How do we know from the film that Michele will survive that full-on gunshot wound.  And I have to say that Mattia's arms reaching out, together with the music, had me cracking up for days after seeing this film.

Oddly enough, although the ending in the book appears bleaker, we learn quite early on that the story is being told by Michele in the year 2000 looking back on is poverty-level childhood.  But the scene where Michele and the kidnapped boy romp around in the sunlight is my favourite scene on film.  Beautiful and capturing the wonder of boyhood - with an achingly sour-sweet back story.  Film as poetry, indeed - he said pretentiously !

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #18 - 03. Apr 2008 at 02:10
Print Post  
Well, I figure I'll just bump this thread because:

I found this movie at Fry's this weekend for $10... so I just had to pick it up (along with my new Apple Time Capsule).  So anyway, I'll watch it tonight, and I expect good things (except maybe the ending)!

I also found "Flight of the Innocent."  Good find at Fry's.  They also had Dorm, Leolo, and several others... although many were quite expensive (over $20).  I found out that they have Dorm at my library, so I didn't pick that one up, and I've seen Leolo already.

Looking forward to some great movies!

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #19 - 03. Apr 2008 at 04:47
Print Post  
You're making me wish we had a Fry's where I live, Swede.

As you may have surmised from reading this thread joseph and I have a little disagreement over Flight of the Innocent.  Smiley

I look forward to reading your comments on both films.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #20 - 03. Apr 2008 at 19:15
Print Post  
Well, last night I watched "Io non ho paura" (I'm not scared) and, like the rest, thought it was fantastic!  I spent some time in Italy last summer and it was great to hear the language and see some of the same landscape, as well as "be in the presence" of some "authentic" Italian people.  I swear, I met a 12-year old Michele who looks JUST like Giuseppe (playing Michele), maybe one year older!  Incredible.  And both kids were great!

I haven't seen the more contentious "Flight of the Innocent" yet... I'll let you know how it goes!
« Last Edit: 04. Apr 2008 at 10:21 by TheSwede »  

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #21 - 04. Apr 2008 at 10:23
Print Post  
I don't normally like to have two posts in a row, but I wanted to make sure people knew there was a new entry... besides, it's been a whole day!

Okay, I've now seen both movies, and while I really liked both of them, I do have some comments:

1) Zab, it seems you JosephK have some disagreement on BOTH films, judging by your disparate ratings of "Flight" (you: 10 and him:6) and the various comments in this thread about "I'm not Scared."  Oddly, NEITHER of you rated "I'm not Scared."

2) Seeing "Flight of the Innocent" second, I didn't think it was as well made; there were cheesy breathing sounds and various  other idiosyncrasies that distracted me a little - but not enough to distract from the great parts of it.  I was sorta sorry that Simone couldn't have played a bigger part - he looked like an attractive kid.

3) I'm glad I own both of these movies (for less than $20 total)!  They are great to watch and quite tragic, even if the main boys didn't die in the end, and it breaks my heart that such things might *still* be going on (as they indicated was true in 1992 at the time of filming "Flight").

4) I recommend these films to everyone here; they're obviously available now to just about anyone/everyone.

***** SPOILER ALERT - if you haven't already read the posts above or seen the movies ****

Both movies might have been better films had the lead boy died, but liking them as I did, I'm SO glad they didn't  Wink  Which would have been improved the most? Probably "I'm not Scared."  It was definitely more set up for him to die and less likely for his wounds to allow him to survive.  Heck, I thought Vito in "Flight" only had a flesh wound with a small caliber pistol - Michele had a shot-gun at close range!

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #22 - 13. Apr 2008 at 05:55
Print Post  
I'm glad you got to see both of these films Swede.   Cool

Joseph and I both did rate I'm Not Scared however as the first two to rate it on the database, our reviews are buried on the bottom and only visible if you click View All Member Reviews/Ratings & Stats.
For the record, I liked that one better as well, scoring it a 10 to joseph's 9 (which is a very high score from joseph).

I honestly don't remember any annoying sounds from FOI. What I do remember is the stunning cinematography. All of the colors were so vivid in the film.

I believed in Vito and his quest and felt invested in seeing him succeed. His inherent goodness was really powerful for me and was a factor in my rating. I didn't have those same feelings for Michele, but would agree with you that there was more polish in INS which was probably due to the passage of time and the experience of the directors which doubtlessly affected the funding of the films. FOI was the 3rd film by an essentially unknown Italian director who was invited to make an American film (Fluke) on the strength of his work in FOI; INS was the work of an Oscar winning master director who would've had the skills and the clout to put together his film with minimal restrictions.  

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #23 - 17. Aug 2010 at 20:39
Print Post  
I saw this  very good movie which I have in DVD. Giuseppe CRITIANO and Mattéo DI PIERO have a very good play and are very moving !

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #24 - 02. May 2014 at 14:34
Print Post  
I'm bumping this thread as a way of recommending yet another film that is an absolute must-see for any members who haven't seen it. Of course, if you are just fed up with gorgeous boys, great photography, involving story, and all sorts of eye candy (no nudity) then I understand why you would like to give it a miss.  Wink
Two other films mentioned in the thread are also personal favorites of mine:

IP Logged

boyactorzrule
Gold Member

You are getting sleepy.

Reply #25 - 03. May 2014 at 03:38
Print Post  
YoungArthur wrote on 02. May 2014 at 14:34:
I'm bumping this thread as a way of recommending yet another film that is an absolute must-see for any members who haven't seen it. Of course, if you are just fed up with gorgeous boys, great photography, involving story, and all sorts of eye candy (no nudity) then I understand why you would like to give it a miss.  Wink
Two other films mentioned in the thread are also personal favorites of mine:

Yeah I really hate all those things....NOT! The Thai movie looks especially intriguing!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print