Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) kes (Read 8,431 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

kes
19. Jul 2004 at 15:02
Print Post  
Author looks back at historic film

A film about working class life in a Yorkshire mining community is still making waves 35 years after it was made.

it has been three decades since film crews took over Barnsley but the class of '68 can still remember that six-week summer holiday.

Those who remember the making of Kes – voted the seventh best "culturally British" film of the 20th century – are being sought for a new book by author Simon W Golding.

With the working title of Life after Kes, it will feature the film-makers and non-actors who made up the bulk of the cast.

Mr Golding planned to centre the book on Dai Bradley, the 15-year-old Barnsley schoolboy who was plucked from obscurity to play Billy Casper, the leading character.

But now the author wants to widen it to take in the locations used and to track down all the cast and crew.

"The making of the film is quite a story," he says. "The only professional actor in it was Colin Welland.

At the time Lynn Perrie (Billy's mother) was a cabaret artist and Brian Glover was a teacher friend of Barry Hines (author of A Kestrel for a Knave)."

Mr Golding is fascinated by the stories surrounding the making of Kes, including the withdrawal of American backing because executives could not understand the broad Barnsley accents.

When it did eventually open, ABC only put it on at five cinemas in Yorkshire because they thought it might need subtitles outside the county.

In a recent interview Colin Welland recalled that the American studio wanted director Ken Loach to shoot a happier ending.

Only after Kes broke house records – and critical acclaim from the Press – was it released in the South.

Mr Golding has contacted Ken Loach, Yorkshire-born author Barry Hines, and Dai Bradley (now working backstage after an up-and-down acting career) but there is a long list of people unaccounted for.

"I have traced about 70 per cent of those involved. Many of the Barnsley people in Kes have not strayed from the town."

Among those still living in Barnsley is Ann Goulding (no relation), who in 1968 was a 15-year-old pupil at St Helen's School, Barnsley, which was used as a location. She features in the playground fight scene.

She was not classed as an extra and so did not get paid but her younger sister Janet Dallamore got £5.

When Mrs Goulding saw the premiere in Barnsley in about 1969 she was shocked. "I thought our accents were chronic! But we were kids and all rough. I really enjoyed the film."

Mrs Goulding, now 51, was recently recognised while on a North Sea ferry by another woman who had a small role in the film, fellow classmate Jean Palmer, whom she had not seen since 1968.

Her favourite memory is the football game featuring Brian Glover. "I remember watching from the classroom, it was absolutely hilarious."

Part-time actor Bernard Atha, who played an employment officer, also has strong memories of the movie.

He was 40 in 1968 and had experience of variety theatre in Leeds when his name was mentioned to Ken Loach.

"At that stage I had no idea it was going to be one of the most remarkable films ever made. I remember the director shooting things a thousand times."

Mr Atha, who is a Labour councillor in Leeds and a former Lord Mayor, believes Kes will outlast other British films in the top 10 – which include include The Third Man and Lawrence of Arabia.
Mr Golding is keen to speak to anyone involved with the film. Telephone 01746 769440. E-mail sigold999@btopenworld.com

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Re: kes
Reply #1 - 19. Jul 2004 at 17:00
Print Post  
Thanks Apple. Smiley

Kes (1969)

Genre : Drama

Plot

Billy Casper comes from the poorest end of town (Barnsley, England), he can't concentrate at school and does very badly. He is beaten up regularly by his elder brother and disregarded by everyone. Then one day he sees a wild Kestrel and this leads to a whole new side of his character being discovered. He is as surprised as everyone else by what he discovers but a tragic end is in store.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 20. Jul 2004 at 06:44
Print Post  
voted the seventh best "culturally British" film of the 20th century...

I'd like to see that list.

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Reply #3 - 20. Jul 2004 at 11:48
Print Post  
Has anyone noticed the many similarities between Billy Elliot and Kes?  I'm assuming it's homage and not thievery. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 21. Jul 2004 at 07:53
Print Post  
Yes indeed...

they are both

British,
had boy actors in central roles,
moderate budgets,
critical successes,
popular with audiences,
and won awards.

Definite Thievery!

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 21. Jul 2004 at 14:00
Print Post  
Yes, definitely. Way too mant similarities there. Tongue

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Reply #6 - 22. Jul 2004 at 16:23
Print Post  
Yes, but you've overlooked the essential similarities:

Both movies took place in mining towns.

Both boys were named Billy.

Both Billys had unsympathetic older brothers.

Both Billys had passions few others understood.

Both Billys stole books from the library to educate themselves about their passions.

Both Billys were forced into giving speeches expaining  their passions.

I think there may be a few others I can't think of offhand.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 23. Jul 2004 at 06:00
Print Post  
That's overwhelming evidence.

Verdict: Guilty as charged!     Grin

It's 'off to coventry' for Billy Elliot!

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Reply #8 - 23. Jul 2004 at 08:01
Print Post  
As I said, homage rather than thievery.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 24. Jul 2004 at 08:54
Print Post  
the book upon which play and movie were based is also worth reading.

here's a pic of the author :
------------

and here's pic of someone who achieved fame as a boy actor.

now he's an adult.

i wonder if anyone can guess who it is? Grin

there's a kestrel-related programme on bbc radio tonight.

23.30 BST.
<i>Adventures in Poetry      

Sat 24 Jul, 23:30 - 00:00  30 mins      

The Windhover by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844-89) was a Jesuit priest and a teacher of Latin and Greek.

He burned much of his work because he saw it as a distraction from his religious duties, and the few poems he left were not even published until almost thirty years after his death.

Yet Hopkins is now seen as a revolutionary figure in Victorian literature, an inspiration to 20th Century poets such as W.H.Auden and Dylan Thomas.

'The Windhover', a sonnet dedicated 'To Christ Our Lord', is one of Hopkins' best-loved poems.

It takes the image of a <b>kestrel</b> in flight and, in brilliantly-compressed language, works it into a profound meditation on Christianity.

Peggy Reynolds, as always in this series, explores the background to the poem to discover how it came to be written and why it remains so vividly alive today.</i>

<u>The Windhover</u>

To Christ our Lord

I CAUGHT this morning morning’s minion, king- 
  dom of daylight’s dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
  Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding 
High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing 
In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,         
  As a skate’s heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding 
  Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding 
Stirred for a bird,—the achieve of; the mastery of the thing! 

Brute beauty and valour and act, oh, air, pride, plume, here 
  Buckle! AND the fire that breaks from thee then, a billion         
Times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier! 

No wonder of it: shéer plód makes plough down sillion 
Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear, 
  Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermillion. 

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #10 - 25. Jul 2004 at 01:32
Print Post  
Your posts definitely raise the bar around here, apple, and make us seem both poetic and intelligent.  Smiley

Thanks for that post!

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #11 - 25. Jul 2004 at 04:43
Print Post  
why thank you, Sir Jacob.

masturbation addendum Shocked.

in the 1970s i remember seeing dai bradley listed in the cast for a play called "spring awakening".

as this play deals with a subject close to my heart - lust Tongue - i was hoping to see `kes` perform for the audience's delectation.

see cast list at (actor) michael kitchen's site.

i think the correct spelling for dai's character should be hanschen.

peter firth played one of the boys.

[peter played the adolescent misfit in equus.

as did dai.]

dai's geocities fan site fails to mention spring awakening.

anyway spring awakening was an exciting and controversial play [especially cuz of onstage masturbation!!] with many gay men (and some women) in the sudience eagerly viewing the action with binoculars.

at the time - quaint custom - seat backs had coin-in-the-slot binoculars for hire.

the old vic which housed the national theatre company was very affordable in the 1970s.

unlike nowadays when theatregoing's an expensive activity.

standing room at the back of the stalls or in the gods (the uppermost tier of seats) could then be purchased for literally a few pence.

i think it was 10 old pence.

in an interval, if there were seats remaining unoccupied in the auditorum one could take them.

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #12 - 25. Jul 2004 at 08:52
Print Post  
"Your posts definitely raise the bar around here, apple, and make us seem both poetic and intelligent."

He's a fountain of information! Thanks, apple, for all the knowledge. :read:

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #13 - 28. Sep 2004 at 07:30
Print Post  
yet again - central character of new production NOT played by right-age boy.

[actor's ccsd profile linked below.]

<i>Kes, Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester

By Lynne Walker

22 September 2004

When Barry Hines wrote his classic novel A Kestrel for a Knave in 1968, he may well have been following F Scott Fitzgerald's dictum that "an author ought to write for the youth of his own generation, the critics of the next, and the schoolmasters of ever after".

While it would be reassuring to imagine that sadistic games masters, hard-hitting head teachers caught in a timewarp and inept careers advisers are a thing of the past, the wry laughter of the unusually young audience at Lawrence Till's stage adaptation of Kes suggests that they're still instantly recognisable, uncomfortably familiar figures.

They are also durable enough to outlive their portrayal in Ken Loach's iconic Sixties film, at least when brought to such vivid, caricatured life as in Sarah Frankcom's conscientious production, moved into the early 1970s.

There is no lack of gritty Northern realism in the chronicling of a day in the life of Billy Casper, for whom there is precious little hope in life - as the closed-down Palace Picture House proclaims: "Forthcoming attractions: nought."

Through Andrew Garfield's beautifully judged performance as the vulnerable Billy, the audience, too, lives for his exhilarating release with the kestrel hawk he has trained, sharing his fleeting moments of the possibility of a life beyond his cheerless home, the vicious torment by both boys and teachers, and the crushing prospect of employment down the pit.

Some scenes feel long, especially those establishing Billy's impoverished home life with his shallow, uncomprehending mother and violent, resentful half-brother, Jud; and, later, the prolonged hymn-singing ritual of morning assembly at the school. But there are some telling performances in other, almost cinematic episodes. Philip McGinley's description of squelching among wriggling tadpoles is toe-curlingly graphic, and Gary Dunnington is both acutely funny and deeply loathsome as the soccer coach who, in his dreams, is clearly Bobby Charlton.

The liberal, baggy-corded Mr Farthing, who senses some potential in Billy's astonishing feat, against all odds, as a self-taught falconer, is given an unsentimental portrayal by Roger Morlidge. There's considerable talent, too, among the many fresh young faces making their Royal Exchange debuts as Billy's callous peers.

Structured so that the action, with the help of flashbacks, takes place from morning until night, the play relies on the seamlessness of Becky Hurst's versatile, low-budget set to convey Billy's bleak home, soulless school, and the open fields backing on to the deprived estate. Cloudy skies are always visible above grassy mound, pulley-bed, and arrangements of tables and chairs suggesting kitchen, classroom, changing-rooms, shops, library and disused cinema. The problem of how to present the all-important bird is solved by ingenious use of surround sound, so that you find yourself turning to follow the low whistling, heavy flapping of wings and squeaky noises circling the Exchange's in-the-round space. The silence, when Kes doesn't respond to Billy's increasingly desperate calls, is deafening.</i>

<i>Leighton school for falconers

A FALCONRY expert from Carnforth teamed up with a bird of prey from Heysham to assist an actor who appears in the stage version of 'Kes'.

Dee Barrow, head falconer at Leighton Hall stately home, helped Andrew Garfield to prepare for his role as Billy Casper in the Manchester Royal Exchange Theatre adaptation of the classic book and film.

Working in the grounds at Leighton Hall, Dee showed Andrew how to train and fly Cruella, a privately-owned kestrel who lives in Heysham.

"In order for Andrew to be able to recreate Billy successfully, he had to experience the unique bond that forms between falconer and bird," explained Dee.
"In the story, Billy flies Kes to a swung lure of bird wings and beef, so it was vital to Andrew's performance to master the art of fluent lure swinging, falconer's knots and feed management."

As well as training with Cruella, Andrew also worked with other birds at Leighton Hall including hybrid Peregrine falcons and Harris hawks.

Dee runs a programme of hunting and falconry days at the stately home where anyone can learn how to handle a bird of prey.

She says: "Falconry can be a dramatic roller coaster ride of emotions – from elation when your bird is flying well, to heart-in-the-throat moments when your bird makes a mistake or strays into the territory of a wild bird.

"I've seen some of the most hardened country blokes reduced to tears because their bird is missing.

"When a bird of prey perches on your arm and looks deep into your eyes it can be extremely humbling."

For more details on falconry tuition at Leighton Hall call Dee on 736925 or e-mail info@leightoinhallfalconry.com

'Kes' runs at the Manchester Royal Exchange Theatre until October 16.</i>

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #14 - 28. Sep 2004 at 10:37
Print Post  
My first thoughts are unhappy ones... brickbats to the producers for not casting a younger actor!!!

I'd still like to see the play. It's hard to imagine how they would successfully create the illusion of muddy football fields and a tree filled countryside and air space for such a bird to soar.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print