Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fr and En subtitles for "la guerre des bouton (Read 12,324 times)
bardok
Bronze Member

BA Member

Fr and En subtitles for "la guerre des bouton
09. Jan 2005 at 12:12
Print Post  
I have decided to create french and english subtitles for the very nice french movie by Yves Robert :
"la guerre des boutons" (1961).

I consider these steps (maybe not completely in that order) :
  • Write all the french dialogs of the film
  • Create the french subtitles from these dialogs, synchronise them with the french audio track and produce a file (.srt) of french subtitles
  • Traduct the french subtitles into english and produce a file of english subtitles

If you have an original of this film, you'll be able then to create a copy (it's legal in france, I don't know in the other countries) of the film with those subtitles if you want to watch it from your home dvd player.
There are tools, too, which permit to see on your PC some extra subtitles without creating a copy.

It's an important job. I'll not have problem for French subtitles (I'm french), but, I'll have some difficulties for the english traduction. When I'll be at the step of the traduction, I'll need your english competences. I don't know what will be the best manner to proceed then.

If you have any idea ?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Fr and En subtitles for "la guerre des bo
Reply #1 - 09. Jan 2005 at 14:18
Print Post  
Hmm. Yeah, I can see how you might need a bit of help with the English, Romuslus. For one thing, it's a translation, not a traduction. Wink

Maybe I could help. It depends on my schedule, but if you need someone to review the translation, maybe I could spare some of my time.

However, are you sure that there aren't already English subtitles available for it? I wouldn't want to waste time working on something like this if it were already available.

It's interesting that you mention La guerre des boutons, cause I was just talking about it with a friend earlier today. We went to see a classic film from our childhood, called La guerre des tuques (1984), which is heavily inspired by Yves Robert's classic film. It was a 20th anniversary screening and the director was present. Most of the people in the audience were people my age (in their twenties) who remembered the film from their childhood.

I noticed we didn't have a profile for it on BA, and I'm going to have to do something about that. The English title is The Dog who Stopped the War, or sometimes The Great Snowball War. It's a great movie, and a bit of a cult classic in Quebec.

IP Logged

bardok
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 09. Jan 2005 at 14:32
Print Post  
thank you for your future help. Do you know french a little?
I'am not sure there is no english subtitle for it, but I have found no title and it seems it is the same case for Cal. Ididn't find any french subtitle too.

I'll begin with the writing of the dialogs of the french audio track (I didn't see other audio track). Do you think it would be of any interest I post this text here

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 09. Jan 2005 at 15:10
Print Post  
I am fluent in French. In fact, English is my second language, even though I have a university in English and have worked as an editor in English for years. Translation is not something I particularly enjoy, but I've been thinking about making some English subtitles for another French film for a while, since I know a lot of people who would like to see it and don't speak French. That film is Je suis le seigneur du château.

I think writing the dialogue in French is probably the best place to start. That's what I was thinking of doing too for that other movie.

The text might be a bit long to post on the forum. I don't really know how long it will be, but I can give you my e-mail address in a private message if you want to send it to me that way.

I'm not really interested in translating that one. But what I can do is review and edit the text after you've translated it. For that I would need the French and English text in order to do a comparison.

IP Logged

bardok
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 09. Jan 2005 at 15:39
Print Post  
I saw "Je suis le seigneur du chateau" a long time ago. I don't remember all the story but only there is a great cruelty between the two boys. It is an interesting film but it doesn't figure amongst my favorites.

There is no subtitle in the DVD of this film I have got, as it is the case for many french films.

You are right, the text would be too long to be posted on the forum.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 10. Jan 2005 at 00:23
Print Post  
I've got Je suis le seigneur du chateau ...recorded from TV and it does have English subs.

I've got La Guerre des Boutons on DVD but no English subs and would love to get them. I've also got many other french movies without English subs and of course subs would be great.

I've thought of making sets of subs from movies such as Je suis le seigneur du chateau which I could do by coping the subs word for word from the tape but I never get around to it because it would take many hours to do one movie.

...as usual time is the great enemy.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #6 - 10. Jan 2005 at 02:59
Print Post  
The lack of an English translation has kept me from seeing both of the movies you guys mention.

I have seen The Dog Who Stopped the War however, because Rock Demers believes in creating English dubbed versions of all his films, I'd love to see it in translated French because I'm sure that was the native language for most of the performers.

Some day I hope these projects happen so I get to see these films as well.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 10. Jan 2005 at 09:26
Print Post  
Quote:
I have seen The Dog Who Stopped the War however, because Rock Demers believes in creating English dubbed versions of all his films, I'd love to see it in translated French because I'm sure that was the native language for most of the performers.

Actually, French was the language spoken by all the performers during the shooting of the film. Because they were shooting in extremely cold conditions, they had to have a heated blanket around the camera, powered by a generator. This made a lot of noise and rendered 95% of the dialogue recorded during the actual shoot unusable. So the director, André Melançon, opted to have all the dialogue re-recorded in post-production, by the original actors, in French.

I'm assuming that they later recorded a second version of the dialogue in English, with different actors.

So, yeah, French is the original language, and even if all the dialogue is dubbed, it does sound natural and matches the movement of the lips very closely.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #8 - 10. Jan 2005 at 14:00
Print Post  
The dubbing is bearable in the English version but you can still tell it's out of synch.
I don't know whether different actors were used for the dubbing or not. It's possible that some of the performers could've done their own English dubbing, I don't recall that it said one way or another in the credits.

In Demers' most recent film, Daniel & The Superdogs, it appears there was two different actors used to play one role (one for the French version, one for the English) although it's also possible that he's just doing a better job of crediting the voiceovers. ???

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #9 - 10. Jan 2005 at 15:51
Print Post  
It's possible that they used different actors. (Which movie was that?)

André Mélançon (director of La guerre des tuques) mentioned that his new film, Daniel and the Superdogs (also produced by Rock Demers), had been shot simultaneously in French and English. That means that they shot every scene twice - once in French and once in English. If some of the actors weren't fluently bilingual, it's possible that they used different ones for some of the roles.

Shooting a movie in two different languages must be a lot of work.

IP Logged

bardok
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #10 - 16. Jan 2005 at 02:09
Print Post  
I began the job, but it appears it is a too long job for me alone. I'm sorry for the people who wanted these subtitles, but I stop working on it and I don't think I'll continue later. Cry

I'll continue only translation of english subtitles to french subtitles, an operation which could interest only some french people.
I continue working on "Kes", and in parallel on french subtitles for "butterfly" (called "butterfly's tongue", too).

In fact, I have got two DVD for "butterfly" : "Butterfly" with french language track and non optional english subtiles, and "butterfly's tongue" in spanish with optional english subtitles. I bought both, because I didn't realize before it was the same film  Embarrassed
But I like watching a film in VO with french subtitles ; that's why I have to do french subtitles. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #11 - 18. Jan 2005 at 00:30
Print Post  
That's perfectly understandable romuslus ...  I suspected that it would be far too time consuming.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #12 - 18. Jan 2005 at 13:40
Print Post  
I can pick up the mantle on this one - I'm about to start re-building my copy of the DVD with English subtitles (I've finally cleared enough hard disc space - or more accurately, bought another hard disc) to start the process.
In addition to having the French DVD, I also have an English subtitled copy on VHS (so I won't be producing French subtitles). I'll be transcribing the subtitles from the VHS and then adjusting the sync to match the DVD (I used a similar process on Le Grand Chemin) before re-building the DVD Smiley

I'd be happy to post a .srt file of the subs here.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #13 - 18. Jan 2005 at 20:53
Print Post  
That's very generous of you, Quantum. Thanks for the offer. Let us know when you have the file ready. I'm sure many here will find it useful.

And welcome to BA.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #14 - 18. Jan 2005 at 22:17
Print Post  
That would be great Quantum!

I have picked up a copy of the film, but it won't be of any use to me until I obtain the translation. I hope you are able to provide it some day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print