Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Freddie Highmore at the SAG awards (Read 7,797 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Freddie Highmore at the SAG awards
06. Feb 2005 at 10:12
Print Post  
SAG = Screen Actor's Guild.

These awards are actors voting for actors... Freddie Highmore was nominated in the Best Supporting Actor category for 'Finding Neverland'..   he lost out to Morgan Freeman but it looks like he still enjoyed the experience:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I was impressed with his reaction when Freeman's name was announced:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Re: Freddie Highmore at the SAG awards
Reply #1 - 06. Feb 2005 at 12:12
Print Post  
Nice to see Freddy acting very professionally.  He was wonderful in Finding Neverland, but I saw Million Dollar Baby yesterday and I have to say Freeman deserved to win.

A few years ago, when HOJ lost in the Golden Globe Best Supporting Actor category for Sixth Sense, he had a crying fit which is one reason Shyamalan didn't use him in his next film.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #2 - 06. Feb 2005 at 19:05
Print Post  
He's quite a little man alright. He's got alnother new fan here. Smiley

IP Logged

movieboy

BA Member

Reply #3 - 06. Feb 2005 at 22:05
Print Post  
I became  an fan when iseen finding  neverland    An i am going to rent two brothers  an watch it  tonight

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 08. Feb 2005 at 09:07
Print Post  
is that story about haley crying true i have heard for years and thought it seemed out of chracter for haley..

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 08. Feb 2005 at 09:10
Print Post  
I've heard that story before too.. and I agree Gee, it does seem very much out of character.

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Reply #6 - 08. Feb 2005 at 09:55
Print Post  
It seemed out of character to me, also, because everything else I'd heard was about how others in the business were so impressed by Haley's professionalism.  However, he was still a young boy...
Who knows?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 08. Feb 2005 at 10:59
Print Post  
You have to keep in mind that most people out there HATE child actors with a passion. It never ceases to amaze me. When one child actor becomes successful, they start hating him or her even more, and use every opportunity to spread nasty rumors about them.

I would be surprised if that story about Haley was true. But I can't say for sure, of course.

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Reply #8 - 08. Feb 2005 at 13:31
Print Post  
If you mean most people IN THE INDUSTRY hate child actors, you're probably right.  They seldom get their just due, usually are not nominated for awards (except with other kids) are their names are often listed far down in the credits, even when they are clearly the main characters.  Critics frequently don't mention them in reviews and they get very little press.  Once in a while, a cute girl will come along and people will take notice (Dakota Fanning, for example) and, on rare occassions, they will actually win awards (Anna Paquin, Tatum O'Neal).  However, boys nearly always get short shrift.  I note that freddy was not nominated for an Oscar although he was in the Golden Globes and SAG awards.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #9 - 08. Feb 2005 at 23:06
Print Post  
I didn't mean people in the industry, though it may also be the case.

I mean people in general, even big film buffs, often hate child actors. I spend a lot of time on IMDb's message boards and almost ever young actor that is loved and respected here on BA usually gets trashed over there. Comments like "I can't stand that kid," "I hate that crappity smacking brat," etc. are not uncommon. Every once in a while a thread titled "Most annoying kid in a movie" (or some variation of that) shows up and everyone seems to take pleasure at saying really terrible things about kids they "hate" or "can't stand".

One time, I went to a video store that specializes in indie and foreign films and asked the guy who worked there if he knew about the movie Edges of the Lord (which at the time was only available on the Region 0 DVD). He seemed very interested until I mentioned that HJO was in it, at which point he started saying how he couldn't stand him and got violent urges to beat him up every time he saw him in a movie.

You're right that for some weird reason girls don't usually inspire the same hatred from film fans. Dakota Fanning is a good example.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #10 - 08. Feb 2005 at 23:25
Print Post  
I remember very well hearing similar remarks like that, Joseph; usually from men. I always figured it was some kind of totem, as if the guy were waving a badge saying "I'm a real, red-blooded guy."  Real Guys are supposed to be indifferent, at least, to boy kids.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #11 - 09. Feb 2005 at 09:41
Print Post  
Interesting direction this thread has headed...

I agree with all that has been said. In fact it seems that it isn't socially aceptable for a male over the age of ten to like any boy actors or watch any movie that is about boys. A lot of the trashing IMO is based on their own insecurity and lack of emotional maturity and their fear of being labeled a homo or pedo.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #12 - 09. Feb 2005 at 11:27
Print Post  
I hope Finding Neverland wins best award at academy award show.  Mabey Freddie highmore win award next year.

I dont think Haley Osment would cry for not getting award.
« Last Edit: 09. Feb 2005 at 17:22 by Jasen »  

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #13 - 10. Feb 2005 at 11:52
Print Post  
dakota gets trashed alot too. really recently sombody  put a i cant stand that kid post on her imdb board. what do you guys think of dakota iknow sje not  a boya ctor but you goty admit she is pretty great. if you can tell i am a big fan.

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Reply #14 - 10. Feb 2005 at 12:40
Print Post  
I think she's cute and a really good little actress, but maybe a bit too precocious for her age.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print