Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic sony records - wants kid classical performers (Read 1,476 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

sony records - wants kid classical performers
27. Sep 2005 at 06:56
Print Post  
Mon 26 Sep 2005

Sony to create classical band

RAYMOND HAINEY

A MUSIC label is taking a leaf out of the book of pop svengalis who manufactured multi-million selling pop bands such as the Spice Girls and Take That by recruiting young choristers for a classical music group.

Sony BMG has advertised in the Stage newspaper
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - for boys and girls aged ten to 14 to audition for the new band.

It is the first time that a record company has advertised for child performers or classical music artists to form a group, although pop and rock moguls have manufactured bands for years. Auditions will be held in Glasgow, among other cities.

The advert reads: "Are you the next Aled Jones or Charlotte Church? One of the UK's biggest record labels is looking for boys and girls aged 10-14 to form the next classical crossover band."

It was revealed last month that Sony BMG had signed a £2 million recording contract with Joseph McManners, 12, after hearing his audition for the BBC's production of the opera The Young Prince.

Now Sony BMG is hoping to cash in on the success of "classical crossover" - a trend which began in 1995 with the violinist Vanessa Mae, who notched up a major smash with her first album The Violin Player, released when she was just 17.

She has been followed by the Welsh singer Charlotte Church, who shot to fame aged just 12 when she became the youngest female soloist to enter the Top 40.

Scotland's own Nicola Benedetti, the teenage violinist, has also been taking the classical world by storm.
Michael Quinn, the deputy editor of Gramophone Magazine, welcomed news that record companies were investing in classical music.

He said: "I think the classical-crossover genre has a longer history than people realise. After all, it's what acts like the Three Tenors have been doing for a long time. What is new, however, is the willingness of record labels to invest in these acts."

But he added that he had doubts that the new trend would increase the audience for traditional classical music.

Mr Quinn said: "I think this sort of music operates in its own parameters. Commercially, there is no doubt that it is a winner, but the jury is still out on its artistic merits."

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: sony records - wants kid classical performers
Reply #1 - 28. Sep 2005 at 05:33
Print Post  
I think this sort of music operates in its own parameters.

I agree!

Commercially, there is no doubt that it is a winner, but the jury is still out on its artistic merits.

rather snobby attitude!

... I like the parameters...  he forgot to mention the likes of Anthony Way, Declan Galbraith, Liam O'Kane, etc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print