Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Nominations are open for the 2005 Media Boy Poll (Read 1,381 times)
Mediajock1
Silver Member

BA Member

Nominations are open for the 2005 Media Boy Poll
02. Jan 2006 at 19:29
Print Post  
Folks,

The time is almost here for the 2005 AFTI Media Boy Poll!
Over 300 nominations have already been submitted for your consideration
in voting for your favorite stars. You're invited to suggest additional
nominations or to comment on the existing nominations.

You can submit nominations through this web
form: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) .  Just follow the easy
instructions, and for those of you who have been keeping lists, there's an
easy way to enter names in quantity...just follow the directions.

You can always submit nominations and any comments about current
nominees by e-mail, too, at this address: nominations@aftipoll.co.uk

More information on rules for eligibility and voting, as well as the current list of nominees, are at:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Smiley
MJ

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Nominations are open for the 2005 Media Boy Po
Reply #1 - 02. Jan 2006 at 23:22
Print Post  
Thanks...  I'll be voting as always.

The only problem I have with this poll is that it always severely disadvantages non-american audiences... particularly when it comes to TV appearances. It also disadvantages people who don't get the chance to frequent the cinema regularly.

Personally, I like to see last year's poll reopened to cater for people (probably the vast majority of potential voters) who have to wait till they can rent the movie DVDs or actually see the TV shows.

I think you'd get a more valid result. 

An example of what I'm talking about is:

I might want to vote for

Connor Paolo in Alexander (2004)... is he eligible or not?  I do not see it listed on the list of nominees.

... the problem is that the movie was not released in Australia until Jan 2005...  the DVD came out a few months later.

I've encountered many similiar difficulties with this poll over the years.

So how about stretching the paramaters to include a 2 year date of release.. it would be much fairer.
« Last Edit: 03. Jan 2006 at 00:49 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Re: Nominations are open for the 2005 Media Boy Po
Reply #2 - 03. Jan 2006 at 12:46
Print Post  
Quote:
The only problem I have with this poll is that it always severely disadvantages non-american audiences... particularly when it comes to TV appearances. It also disadvantages people who don't get the chance to frequent the cinema regularly.

I do try to drag it away from America - but I can only pull it as far as the UK...

Quote:
Connor Paolo in Alexander (2004)... is he eligible or not?  I do not see it listed on the list of nominees.

... the problem is that the movie was not released in Australia until Jan 2005...  the DVD came out a few months later.

I've encountered many similiar difficulties with this poll over the years.

So how about stretching the paramaters to include a 2 year date of release.. it would be much fairer.

We have traditionally included movies from the previous year (and occassionally even from the year before that) where the film has only had a very limited release during the previous year - although this does tend to usually apply to European and Asian movies which often don't get released in the "English-speaking" world until the following year... In the case of Alexander, given how limit its release was in 2004, I think we would be prepared to accept it for the 2005 poll as well - but we wouldn't want to accept all 2004 movies. Films which get a wide release (such as Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, even though it was released towards the end of 2004) do not need carrying over to the following year... What we don't want to end up with is the same actor winning the poll for the same performance in consecutive years (of course, there's no reason why they can't win in consecutive years for different performances...)

You are of course welcome to submit any additional nominees we've missed who you think should be eligible - and if their eligibility isn't obviously or straight-forward (such as Connor), you can always add some comments to the performance information saying why you think they should be eligible. And of course, we'd love to get nominations from Australian shows and movies (or any other country)...

If you have a lot of additional nominees, then submitted a correctly-formatted text file (details are on the nomination submission page) is by far the most efficient way to get them into the database for the Committee to review...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print