Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) DVD stills (Read 9,996 times)
kwack111

BA Member

DVD stills
06. Feb 2006 at 13:07
Print Post  
I'm trying to capture DVD movie stills by pressing the

Print
Screen
SysRq

button, and then pasting it in paint and saving it as a .bmp. but the problem is that it doesn't get saved. the 'saved' picture just shows whatever the movie is currently showing. and when i take the DVD out the 'saved file just shows a black screen.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: DVD stills
Reply #1 - 06. Feb 2006 at 21:20
Print Post  
I don't do it that way so I can't comment on how to help.

It might be useful to know what program you are using to play the DVDs on your computer though.
Perhaps I could offer some advice if it's one I've used.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 07. Feb 2006 at 07:14
Print Post  
PowerDVD has an inbuilt 'stills' capture as does Media Player Classic and BSPlayer. There is also a very handy program called 'Image Grabber'.

Using the print screen button work for me with, jpg, or other web page images, and pasting into Paintshop Pro, however it doesn't work very well with some media player images. I've never used that method trying to capture DVD images though... I doubt if it works or it would have probably been mentioned more often.

If you buy a capture card for you computer with a 'TV in' slot, it's also very easy to capture quite decent DVD stills via your TV...

I have a capture card installed and use Winfast software to view and capture the images.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #3 - 07. Feb 2006 at 11:47
Print Post  
The problem is being caused by the Hardware Overlay (it may be termed as Hardware Acceleration in your software).

Basically it means that the video image isn't acutally part of your display - which is why Print Screen just gets a black window. The video image is added in to the display by your graphics card, overlaying the screen information produced by your computer. As the majority of your screen isn't changing, by using video overlays your computer doesn't have to update the entire screen at 25fps/30fps (or whatever framerate the video is running at), but only an area of screen the size of the video image and your graphics card can then piece the two bits of screen together.

(I hope that all just about makes sense) Smiley

You either need to switch off the hardware overlay / hardware acceleration (although your computer may then not be able to cope with playing the video at full speed), or find the option within your software for capturing images - assuming it has an option...

IP Logged

GVA

Notre-Dame-des- Gosses

Reply #4 - 06. Apr 2006 at 18:21
Print Post  
The simplest thing to do is to download Media Player Classic (it's free). By the way, the capture function does not have a preset shortcut, you can configure it in the options. Hope it helps Smiley

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 06. Apr 2006 at 23:28
Print Post  
I use the 'Modified Media Player Classic' as my default video player. It has a huge range of options and even plays Quicktime, Real Media and Windows Media, along with regular AVI, MPG, DivX, Xvid, DAT, Vob, etc, etc.

IP Logged

kwack111

BA Member

Reply #6 - 12. Jun 2006 at 15:09
Print Post  
i lowered the hardware acceleration in the options of right clicking on the desktop, and then was able to copy from power DVD to paint.
thanks

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #7 - 13. Jun 2006 at 05:31
Print Post  
With InterVideo WinDvd, it's very simple to capture stills from dvds.

This comes with many of the Windows-based computers from the past two years.

IP Logged

dakkar
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12. Jul 2006 at 21:57
Print Post  
i use power dvd - it has inbuilt capture feature....i use windvd too but i can't seem to find a capture feature in that (maybe cos it came free with the burner).

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Reply #9 - 13. Jul 2006 at 01:01
Print Post  
My current PC came with WinDVD already installed but I immediately downloaded PowerDVD because Win did not have a capture feature.  Maybe it's been added now.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #10 - 13. Jul 2006 at 07:58
Print Post  
Pretty much what I did. I have a new puter now with Windows XPS, media player, etc. but could not find any way to make caps from DVD. So I ended up getting PowerDVD again, version 6 this time.

It works fine except I had to manually type in the pic dimensions I wanted, otherwise the pics were all squished. On the old version all I had to do was check off 'keep aspect ratio' to get proper sizing.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #11 - 13. Jul 2006 at 09:24
Print Post  
I still recommend 'media player classic'...  just press the c key and it captures the frame.

BS player does the same thing.

Both are freeware... easily found online.

I've also started using nero's showtime player...  it's similiar to PowerDVD and has a capture button.

IP Logged

dakkar
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 13. Jul 2006 at 21:38
Print Post  
yes i would definately recommend media player classic...it's free and it often lets you play videos that other players tell you are corrupted. eg. if you try to preview an AVI that you are downloading in a p2p program. media player classic works for me. nero showtime also has a capture button but won't play all videos like media player classic (showtime might say a video is corrupted and yet media player classic still plays it). PowerDVD is good for playing DVDs and get still captures. As for my version of WinDVD, it doesn't have a capture feature but not sure about the latest versions.

i just spent the last few hours editing subtitles for Gloire De Mon Pere...i had a dvd with no english subtitles so i used a program called Subtitle Workshop which is great (and free). The program letes you edit subtitles, delays, and you can add time delays (+/-) for a a selection or all subs and you can preview it with the video. Now I can watch the movie again and understand what is being said! Then you can use a free program like VirtualDubMod to combine the subtitles with an AVI. It works great...just thought I'd let you all know in case you had the same problems as me, because these programs save a lot of time and effort.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #13 - 13. Jul 2006 at 23:16
Print Post  
With subtitles relatively easy to do (albeit time consuming) it baffles and bewilders me why non-english DVDs don't include english subtitles in every DVD release, especially with internet sales soaring. They complain about piracy but fail to accomodate the interests of film collectors.

IP Logged

dakkar
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 14. Jul 2006 at 07:21
Print Post  
this dvd was bought off ebay....the cover looks a bit dodgy so i think it is a pirate. however, i have bought a lot of dvd's that arent pirates and many of them have no subtitles at all which is annyoing esp. when a character mumbles soemthing that you can't understand. so i finished editing the subtitles, and now i can watch the movie properly...however, i dont think i will be watching it again for a while anyway, because to edit the subtitles i had to check each scene over and over again to make sure the subtitles matched up to the audio...i am sure i know the whole script off by heart by now!  Smiley lol

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print