Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) DVD stills (Read 10,065 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Re: DVD stills
Reply #15 - 14. Jul 2006 at 07:45
Print Post  
Subtitling is actually a much more complicated, time-consuming and EXPENSIVE process that you would think. Sure, people can do them relatively easily at home and post them online for DivX movies and whatnot, but when you're producing a DVD for the commercial market, it's a lot different.

You have to pay people to transcribe the film in its original language, then pay people to translate it. There are copyright issues involved. (Translations are subject to the same copyright laws as original printed material.) And the technical side is much more complicated than for homemade subtitles. You can't just create a text file - each subtitle has to be converted to an image (.tiff) file.

All this has to be reviewed, edited, proofread, quality-controlled, etc. And it has to fit into the budget and DVD authoring schedule.

Since these movies are released in non-English speaking markets - and let's face it, even if they can sell a few copies online to English-speaking customers, these numbers can pretty much be ignored in the grand scheme of things - so it makes sense that they don't usually spend the extra money to create English subtitles.

It's frustrating for us. But it's not completely bewildering.

IP Logged

kwack111

BA Member

Reply #16 - 20. Jul 2006 at 18:36
Print Post  
Quote:
PowerDVD is good for playing DVDs and get still captures.
??? i don't know what you're talking about. i have PowerDVD that came with my PC and it doesn't have any such thing.

IP Logged

dakkar
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 20. Jul 2006 at 19:09
Print Post  
Quote:
??? i don't know what you're talking about. i have PowerDVD that came with my PC and it doesn't have any such thing.

maybe you have a different version (older version/oem version) ??? my powerdvd definately has capture feature.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #18 - 20. Jul 2006 at 23:51
Print Post  
It must be a very old version then, I've been using PowerDVD since about 1998 and it's always had a capture function.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #19 - 22. Jul 2006 at 10:06
Print Post  
I always thought it would be easier to do this sort of thing with a Mac, but it's one of the things that they've actually gone out of their way to make difficult, in fact near impossible unless you want to install some third-party software. The DVD player that comes with OS X blocks the image capture function. This is done deliberately to protect copyrighted material. It's really a pain in the ass.

IP Logged

dakkar
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 22. Jul 2006 at 19:28
Print Post  
Quote:
...The DVD player that comes with OS X blocks the image capture function. This is done deliberately to protect copyrighted material. It's really a pain in the ass.

well thats a mac for ya Tongue lol

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #21 - 23. Jul 2006 at 00:04
Print Post  
You can laugh all you want. Once you figure out a way around it, it works like a charm.

I was just about to list the advantages of having a Mac over a PC, but then I realized how annoying that would be. I'm sure you've heard it all before.  Wink

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #22 - 04. Aug 2006 at 05:00
Print Post  
what's a Mac again?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print