Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ma vie en rose (Read 5,985 times)
gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Ma vie en rose
07. Nov 2007 at 21:06
Print Post  
this was a great movie about a transgender  child. but i was thinking  that the should be a movie about a the other way around a girl who belives she was supposed to be  a boy.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Ma vie en rose
Reply #1 - 14. Nov 2007 at 17:16
Print Post  

I love this film. I can't actually recall there being a film about a girl dressing as boy or wanting to be a boy. I guess it's not as big an issue with society, as it is when a boy dresses in girl's clothing. There are plenty of girls who wear the sort of clothing that boys wear.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 14. Nov 2007 at 20:54
Print Post  
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 14. Nov 2007 at 17:16:

I love this film. I can't actually recall there being a film about a girl dressing as boy or wanting to be a boy. I guess it's not as big an issue with society, as it is when a boy dresses in girl's clothing. There are plenty of girls who wear the sort of clothing that boys wear.

actully  girls who belive they are boys have just as much of  a problem take bradon teena for exaple.

IP Logged

Debois
Gold Member

RE Member

Reply #3 - 17. Nov 2007 at 18:20
Print Post  
For you Gee if you have an interest in that theme
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
wanna more? just tell me  Smiley (my special interest in psychology)

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 17. Nov 2007 at 18:47
Print Post  
the reason i am interested in this is because I a bit on the trans spectrum my self. i consider my self genderqueer. if you do not know what thats means you can look it up becuase i am too lazy to cut and paste.  anyhow i  said before we need more ftm( female to male movies) the only one i know of is boys don,t cry.

IP Logged

Debois
Gold Member

RE Member

Reply #5 - 17. Nov 2007 at 20:47
Print Post  
Gee, please translate your all sentence to bbc english or french... What cut and paste? I know about all of that sort problems with MTF and FTM people

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 22. Dec 2007 at 22:26
Print Post  
sorry it took my long time to respond to this genderqueer in my case means I am feamle bodied but do  not indefiy as feamale i do not i as male but like looking maleish.(is that a word?)

IP Logged

nic
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 23. Dec 2007 at 15:43
Print Post  
Ma vie en rose was great. I wish there was a movie about a girl wanting to be a boy because I have not noticed any yet.

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 26. Dec 2007 at 19:07
Print Post  
It was for a long time difficult for me to understand the transgendered phenomenon. Then I saw and heard several documentaries on it. Then I met some people who were transgendered. Then I understood ... at least have a sort of understanding, limited because I'm not a transgendered person myself.

How difficult it must be! What tragedy not to be treated with respect, and valued as a person, regardless of appearance and inclination. So many transgendered folks are despised and even abused by idiots who think that anyone who doesn't think exactly as they think is evil and must be destroyed. {"Well, there are times when one would like to hang the whole human race and be done with the farce" -- Samuel L Clemens (Mark Twain) in "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", Ch 31.}

I now have a deep compassion for transgendered persons. I'm grateful I don't have that difficulty to face in my own life.

Regarding "Ma Vie en Rose", it was a touching film. It forces a person to love or hate the little boy who happened to be in the wrong sort of body style. May we all have patience for those who are different from ourselves ... even for the fools and morons who would like to kill us.

IP Logged

Debois
Gold Member

RE Member

Reply #9 - 27. Dec 2007 at 01:47
Print Post  
gee wrote on 22. Dec 2007 at 22:26:
sorry it took my long time to respond to this genderqueer in my case means I am feamle bodied but do  not indefiy as feamale i do not i as male but like looking maleish.(is that a word?)

Mir ist aller über Sie klar! (deutch) Thank you...

Ich denke dass viele uns hier nicht nur infolge des Interesses für die Filme anwesend sind...

But what a wonderful accent!  Wink

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #10 - 16. Jan 2008 at 15:16
Print Post  
Have any of you people been watching "The Riches", which has a young boy in the regular cast who prefers to dress as a girl. I assume he's just a cross-dresser, unfortunately the episodes I've seen so far have not really explored his character very deeply.

IP Logged

Debois
Gold Member

RE Member

Reply #11 - 31. Jan 2008 at 22:33
Print Post  
You mean Aidan's work? Nice kid...
I think that his character  are transgendered...

IP Logged

dakkar
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01. Jul 2008 at 12:26
Print Post  
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 14. Nov 2007 at 17:16:

Would you be thinking of "My Life As A Dog" by any chance, where the boy's friend who is a girl pretends to be a boy so she can play in the boy's soccer/football team?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #13 - 01. Jul 2008 at 13:57
Print Post  
Somehow, this entire thread escaped my attention until now.

There's a few things I want to respond to.

From Cal: "I guess it's not as big an issue with society, as it is when a boy dresses in girl's clothing. There are plenty of girls who wear the sort of clothing that boys wear."

What!?

Transgenderism is about a lot more than what kind of clothes you wear. The fact that a lot of girls wear boys' clothes doesn't make them transgendered, nor does it make it any easier on those who really are transgendered. And anyone who identifies as a different gender than they were born with, whether it's female-to-male or male-to-female, has to deal with a lot more than wardrobe issues. As for statistics, I don't know what they are, but I would guess FTM transgendered people are about as common as MTF. So I see absolutely no reason to assume that"it's not as big an issue".

By the way, I have a friend who is FTM. I met him knowing that he was trans, and at first I was afraid it would be hard for me to think of him as a boy and not "a girl pretending to be a boy", but that passed very quickly. I always think of him and refer to him as male and have no problem doing so.

One of the major problems he's faced with is that he hasn't changed his name or legal status yet, so all his identify papers/cards have his female name on them. In everyday life, he's male. But whenever he has to deal with school, getting a job, or anything that requires a piece of ID, he has to explain why his papers have a different name and gender. Think about how often you need to present ID and you'll see how much of an issue this can be. Even things as banal as getting a membership at a video store requires you to show ID these days.

About My Life as a Dog: It's not clear whether the character in the film is transgendered or just happens to be pretending to be a boy so that she can get to play sports. (Wasn't it boxing?) But good call, nonetheless. Gee, you should see that movie if you haven't already. One of my favourites.

I'm sure there must be more examples of this in cinema... but I can't think of any. I will let you know if I ever come across them, though.

IP Logged

dakkar
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01. Jul 2008 at 23:42
Print Post  
[quote author=josephk link=1194469584/0#13 date=1214917067]
About My Life as a Dog: It's not clear whether the character in the film is transgendered or just happens to be pretending to be a boy so that she can get to play sports. (Wasn't it boxing?)

She was playing soccer and boxing too I think.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print