Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) interesting article about a movie. (Read 10,179 times)
zork
Silver Member

BA Member

Re: interesting article about a movie.
Reply #15 - 22. Sep 2008 at 10:48
Print Post  
I've got my own 2-disc "CJ7" DVD box.

Though the main "boy" characters are played by girls, this is still a nice "Father and son" movie or "boy" movie.

I really like Jiao Xu (played Dicky) in this film and she acted like a boy.

The director Stephen Chow said he and his team found talent kids around China, and the kids they seleted most were girls.

But this is a "boy" movie, so they thought the girls also could play "boy" characters. Because there is not very different between little boys and little girls.

The script is simple, but it makes me feel warm and cry... It also has  Stephen Chow's humour. If you don't care the boys in the movie are played by girls , you should try to see this one.  Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 22. Sep 2008 at 12:52 by zork »  

IP Logged

hastings
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 22. Sep 2008 at 15:02
Print Post  
In the Macedonian film 'Golemata voda' (The Great Water) (2004) Maja Stankovska plays 13-y-o Isak Keyten, the best friend of Lem, played by a real boy, Sašo Kekenovski.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) shows the two of them together, Sašo on the left and Maja on the right.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #17 - 23. Sep 2008 at 20:28
Print Post  
I still find it deceptive and disappointing for a director to use girls in place of boys for a boy role in any production. I can't believe that they can't find any appropriate talented and willing boy actors or trainable boys for these roles from their respective countries. It doesn't matter that you may not be able to find a trained or experianced actor or have some hollywood manufactured type kid with headshots and a portfolio drop in your lap. That's just pure laziness on the director and/or casting director's parts. The movie "The Kite Runner" is an example of a movie where the Director had to really go out of his way and out of the box to find the appropriate boys to play the lead roles in the film who were of the right ethnicities and spoke the native language necessary to make the movie authentic. They came from a local village and not a casting pool. The director needed an interpreter just to direct the untrained boys and the boys did a wonderful job in this film. I know this film is not the first or only time a director has done so in a film to find just the right boy for a part to make the film work and make it real. In my opinion this kind of thing is just completely unnecessary and unprofessional. Personally, I disagree with Zork in that their is a mountain of differences between boys and girls of all ages. Not just physically but on to many levels to mention in here.  Undecided

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #18 - 23. Sep 2008 at 21:52
Print Post  
There's nothing "deceitful" about it. Why would you expect everything about a movie to be true? Do you expect aliens to be real aliens?

Most of what we see on the screen is fake, whether it's through special effects, camera tricks, costumes, or just acting. Nice guys play jerks. Heterosexuals play homos. Old play young and vice versa. It's all tricks. It's all fake. None of it is real.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #19 - 24. Sep 2008 at 02:54
Print Post  
I think your analogies are way off base. NO I don't expect everything in a movie to be true and I am well aware that movie deal with fantasy as well as the fact that movies also deal with realities. While many movies are based on fiction or fantasy or are of the fiction, fantasy, or sci-fi genre, still many movies are of the reality genre and deal with reality, realities of life, and many are based on true stories. Some genre of movies use special effects, camera tricks, costumes, and have actors playing parts that do not reflect who they are in real life such as heteros playing homos or visa versa or actors playing military heroes in most of their movies when in reality never served in the military. Everyone knows these things. By the same token many other genre of movies are works of fiction portraying reality or are stories actually based reality or on actual events. In these and other genre of films the objective or goal of the director will be to try and make the film as realistic as possible or historically accurate as possible. In an alleged "boy movies" such as CJ7 where the main story is based on the realtionship between a father and his young son while the story itself may be a work of fiction it is based on a reality. The relationship between a father and son, not between humans and aliens. Yes, I expect them to use a real boy portraying or playing the part of a boy. I don't think that is to much to ask for or to great a feat for a good director. Yes, I think to do otherwise is deceitful and cheats the audience. That's my opinion on the subject and I think that it is a valid one and should not be subject to ridicule.  Undecided

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #20 - 24. Sep 2008 at 04:43
Print Post  
Sorry. I wasn't trying to ridicule your opinion.

I just think you are looking at this from a biased perspective. You accept many things that are fake about movies, because they don't matter to you personally. But when a boy is portrayed by a girl, you find it deceitful. I think that's a little bit dishonest. This is not "an alleged boy movie". There's no such thing as a boy movie as far as the mainstream is concerned. Most people don't watch movies like this because they have a particular interest in boys, and I'm sure that's not what the director's intention was either. What most people are interested in is the story and characters, and as long as those are convincing when they watch the film, that's all that matters.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, of course. Again, my point is not to ridicule you, but just to make you see it from a different perspective.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #21 - 24. Sep 2008 at 08:47
Print Post  
Sure, I probably am looking at it from a biased opinion. I accept "some" things that are fake about movies that are meant to be fake or are that are part of the story. Some things I don't accept as fake such as someone who stars in a movie or is a central character in a movie that is supposed to be a boy but is instead being played by a girl. Nor do I find it at all necessary to do such a thing. Yeah, when I rent or buy a "Boy Movie" or a movie whose central character is a boy I like the boys in it to be boys not girls. I am well aware of the fact that in "mainstream" their may be such thing as a "Boy Movie." (You never know about that, nor what is in a director's head when he is making a film) However, to those of us in this forum there is and I believe that is the central reason most people in this forum are here. Even if we were speaking of the "mainstream" imagine if one day everyone was to find out that in their favorite movie that had a boy as a central character such as in the movie "E.T." that Elliot was really played by a girl. I think there would be a lot of either disappointed or pissed off people who did feel that they were decieved for all these years. That might shatter a lot of fond memories. ET you expect to be fake, not the actor playing Elliot.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #22 - 24. Sep 2008 at 15:34
Print Post  
This is going in circles. So we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #23 - 24. Sep 2008 at 20:33
Print Post  
Yup!  Wink

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #24 - 28. Sep 2008 at 16:30
Print Post  
I'll chime in here with my tuppence worth...

I agree with both of you. IMO you both have valid points. I appreciate skatapunk feeling duped, but Joseph is probably right that most people couldn't care less if the actor was actually a girl. Recently Cate Blanchett played Bob Dylan in a movie and her performance was well received. It's all about what you are willing to accept.

If such a thing became a common practice I'd get very pissed off, but when it's done occasionally I find it interesting. I like girl actors too, so seeing them very occasionally play the role of a boy is IMO rather cute.

My pet hate, actually something I loathe, is when an actor plays a character that is much younger than themselves. I saw a movie with a 15 year old playing a 9 year old, to me that is just lazy casting and completely turns me off the movie.

Thr greatest sin of all though, IMO of course, is when an adult female plays the role of a male child, I hate that! One of the reasons why I never watch The Simpons.  Adult females are often used to dub the voices of boys in foreign language movies. Hideous!

Rant over!

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #25 - 28. Sep 2008 at 20:45
Print Post  
I agree with you about the age thing. And that, to me, is an example of a problem that should bother more people, regardless of whether or not they have a "special interest" in boy-related movies. Because it's a matter of credibility. A 15-year-old boy simply cannot realistically pass for a 10-year-old boy. It's not deceitful of directors to cast older boys in these roles - it's just stupid! It hurts the realism of the character, and I will never understand why people accept it.

On a side note, I should say that I can also understand Skatapunk's frustrations. I was playing devil's advocate a little, because I thought his reaction was particularly violent and accusing the direction of things that were in my opinion a little unfair. So my goal was more to show that not everybody shares that perspective. But having made that point, I can also admit that personally, as one who does share that special interest in boy-related movies, I would obviously much prefer to have real boys in films than boys played by girl actors. But, like Cal said, this happens so rarely that I can consider such cases "interesting" and simply move on. It's not like there's a shortage of boys in film, as the database on this site clearly demonstrates.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #26 - 29. Sep 2008 at 01:03
Print Post  
Cal wrote:
"Adult females are often used to dub the voices of boys in foreign language movies. Hideous!"

The most hideous in my experience were the 'boy' voices on my region 1 copy of My Father's Glory. It was a relief to go with the subtitles and enjoy the natural boy voices, in French. Lovely.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #27 - 29. Sep 2008 at 04:18
Print Post  
Dubbing and 20 somethings playing teenagers are my two biggest pet peeves in movies. While I am okay with being "duped" into thinking girl actors are believable boys (in moderation), I can't stand not having the original voices in the films I watch. There are a handful of films that are only available that way - most of which I've passed on even though I'd really like to see them.

IP Logged

zork
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #28 - 29. Sep 2008 at 06:45
Print Post  
About the original voice...
Two weeks ago I bought "Cuore" DVD(region3, (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)), and found it only has "English" dubbed version... no "Italian"... (I really hate this things)Shocked
p.s. In my country. we don't often "dub" the foreign movies except Anime movies.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Incompresso
Reply #29 - 29. Sep 2008 at 11:11
Print Post  
Same with "Incompreso"/"Misunderstood" ... the British actors spoke in English, the Italian actors spoke in Italian, and all versions of the final result are dubbed in some language.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Print