Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pusan Film Festival 2008 (Read 9,781 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: Pusan Film Festival 2008
Reply #15 - 04. Oct 2008 at 17:07
Print Post  
Buddha's Smile

A hungry boy returns home after school. He looks for candy but can't find any. He spots the Buddha statue. On the altar, there is a container filled with sweets. Dare he take the candy from Buddha's altar?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Escape

Nine-year-old Xiao Jiang lives with his grandfather on a rubber estate. His older sister,who works in the city, promises to take Xiao Jiang to the zoo to see the newborn tiger cubs. But the next morning when he wakes up, she has already left for the city.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #16 - 04. Oct 2008 at 17:17
Print Post  
God Only Knows

In a dirty, decaying slum in the Philippines, a single mother decides to give her 10-year-old son up for adoption so that he can have a better life. But an innocent journey to the market quickly turns into a devastating loss for both mother and son.

Another Planet

Made in honor of the United Nations-decreed International Year of the Planet, Another Planet explores issues of labor, prostitution and soldiering in seven stories set in Mexico, Ecuador, Congo, and Cambodia from a child’s-eye view. In addition to problems ranging from ecological devastation, massive economic disparity, and social injustice, the film reveals some of the truly hideous conditions hundreds of millions of people are forced to live in in 2008. Unafraid of being labelled a “message movie,” Moldoványi transcends depiction and stretches into the realm of incitement to action with his shocking and moving images.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #17 - 04. Oct 2008 at 17:22
Print Post  
Awakening from a Dream

The central relationship between Marcel and his grandfather Pascual in Freddy Mas Franqueza’s Awaking from a Dream is one that affects Marcel for his entire life. When his mother dumps him in a small Spanish town with his grandfather, it is the first time in his five years that Marcel feels valued and loved. Conversely, the child brings a renewed vigor to Pascual’s lonely life. Touching on different stages of one life, the film explores the bonds that define us and influence us, and illustrates the strength of some of them. When Pascual succumbs to Alzheimer’s disease, it is time for Marcel to fulfill the role of anchor that Pascual did for him years before. Marcel’s ultimate reunion with his mother in Berlin may not provide the missing links in the chain of his life, but it does confirm his belief in what is truly important within it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #18 - 04. Oct 2008 at 18:02
Print Post  
Zabladowski wrote on 04. Oct 2008 at 16:31:
Lucky....this is a fantasy post for me as our local festival was cancelled this year.  Cry

I might be able to see Tokyo Sonata though later this month so please do report back on what you saw and thought.

Yeah, at the very least, I'm certain Tokyo Sonata will eventually be released on DVD. Most of the director's previous films are not too hard to find.

A lot of the films you're posting about in this thread sound really good. Hope I get a chance to see some of them.

I wanted to post about a few FFM films. (I didn't go see any.) But I never got around to it. You probably know about most of them already...

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #19 - 04. Oct 2008 at 19:48
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 04. Oct 2008 at 18:02:
I wanted to post about a few FFM films. (I didn't go see any.) But I never got around to it. You probably know about most of them already...

I made a list and profiled those that had suitable pictures but it still would be good to hear feedback on anything not already profiled.
You never can tell solely based on sypnoses or picture art whether or not a film is "on topic" here.
If you have any secondhand info please post away.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #20 - 04. Oct 2008 at 22:12
Print Post  
Nah, I don't have any info. Your research was probably more thorough than mine.

The FFM is pretty much considered a joke here. Nobody attends, nobody talks about it. Although there were a few films I was curious about, I decided to just save my money for the FNC.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #21 - 07. Oct 2008 at 03:54
Print Post  
Your usual magnificent job of presentation, Zab, in all 3 of your Festival reports. I hope I get to see even a few of these.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #22 - 07. Oct 2008 at 04:28
Print Post  
You and me both YA. Out of all of those films I covered, I have seen but two.
I suspect some will eventually make their way to a screen near us no telling how many though. It's the distribution problem that keeps me scheming to attend more festivals.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print