Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Embedded videos... I can't see them (Read 12,383 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Embedded videos... I can't see them
05. Nov 2009 at 21:21
Print Post  
People have been posting a lot of embedded videos lately and no one seems to be having any problem seeing them but me.

What could be causing this? I'm using the latest version of Firefox (3.5.4) on Windows XP. I can seen embedded YouTube videos on all the other blogs and forums I visit.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Re: Embedded videos... I can't see them
Reply #1 - 05. Nov 2009 at 21:52
Print Post  
Which version of the Shockwave Flash plugin do you have installed under Firefox?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 05. Nov 2009 at 22:38
Print Post  

Is that the latest one? I can update if necessary.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #3 - 05. Nov 2009 at 23:18
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 05. Nov 2009 at 22:38:

That's the version I've got.

What extensions have you got installed? (although I can't see why those would cause problems if they don't on other sites)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 05. Nov 2009 at 23:58
Print Post  
I've got Greasemonkey installed, but no script running that would affect these pages or anything related to YouTube. A bunch of other more or less standard plugins... I'm too lazy to list them all, but I really don't think they interfere with embedded videos. I don't understand what the problem is...

Sad

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 06. Nov 2009 at 00:00
Print Post  
Huh, you know what? I just checked the other threads and I can see all the videos again. For like three days I couldn't see any of them, and now, although I haven't changed anything, I can see them without problem.

Stupid computers.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #6 - 06. Nov 2009 at 04:35
Print Post  
you know, that same sort of thing happens to me now and then.  I'll find I'm blocked, I work for HOURs to fix it to no avail... then suddenly (with no further work) it starts working.

Go figure.  Glad they're working for you again!  Andreas just posted a bunch of very interesting looking clips on Jimmy Bennet!

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #7 - 06. Nov 2009 at 07:28
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 06. Nov 2009 at 00:00:
Huh, you know what? I just checked the other threads and I can see all the videos again. For like three days I couldn't see any of them, and now, although I haven't changed anything, I can see them without problem.

Stupid computers.

Well, I did tweak the embed code slightly - maybe that fixed it. Glad it works for you now Smiley

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #8 - 06. Nov 2009 at 14:57
Print Post  
Oh, you did? Cool. That's probably what did it. Thanks!

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07. Nov 2009 at 03:15
Print Post  
Quantum wrote on 06. Nov 2009 at 07:28:
josephk wrote on 06. Nov 2009 at 00:00:

Stupid computers.

Well, I did tweak the embed code slightly - maybe that fixed it. Glad it works for you now Smiley

Quantum: Speaking of tweaking the embed code, could you possibly please tweak it so it will allow embedded video from other sites besides You Tube? I have tried to embed a video here from Veoh.com, Photobucket and Megavideo and none of them show up here at all. It's just blank. I do it the same way as with a You Tube embed. I enter the URL direct link bracketed by the Media tags but nothing at all shows up.

It seems if a You Tube embed can show up why can't videos from other sites?

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #10 - 07. Nov 2009 at 07:53
Print Post  
I'll just pipe in a comment here...

I actually prefer NOT to watch an embedded video, I much prefer watching the video on the original site because the size of the video is bigger, especially on YouTube these days. When I watch an embedded video I usually right click and select Watch on YouTube. It's better IMO.  Tongue

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #11 - 07. Nov 2009 at 12:47
Print Post  
Yes, me too. What IS the big deal about embedded videos anyway??

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #12 - 07. Nov 2009 at 13:40
Print Post  
Well, the thing is that when you have an embedded video you have the option. You can watch it here or at the site. It's more convenient and somewhat quicker to check it out on the same page if you just want to see if it's worth watching. It also draws more attention to it than a simple link would.

I agree that often I choose to watch it at the original site anyway. But it's nice to have the option.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #13 - 07. Nov 2009 at 16:37
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 07. Nov 2009 at 13:40:
Well, the thing is that when you have an embedded video you have the option. You can watch it here or at the site. It's more convenient and somewhat quicker to check it out on the same page if you just want to see if it's worth watching. It also draws more attention to it than a simple link would.

I agree that often I choose to watch it at the original site anyway. But it's nice to have the option.

I agree... I prefer the embedded video link because it basically works like a super-hyperlink (in that you can click it and watch the original), but has the added bonuses of 1) providing a glimpse at the video, 2) allowing a preview, to see if it's interesting; 3) lets you watch the video if you want, without having to go anywhere.

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08. Nov 2009 at 04:07
Print Post  
TheSwede wrote on 07. Nov 2009 at 16:37:
josephk wrote on 07. Nov 2009 at 13:40:

I agree... I prefer the embedded video link because it basically works like a super-hyperlink (in that you can click it and watch the original), but has the added bonuses of 1) providing a glimpse at the video, 2) allowing a preview, to see if it's interesting; 3) lets you watch the video if you want, without having to go anywhere.

josephk and Swede, you've stated exactly my intentions and reasons for posting the embedded videos. I felt they give the viewer the option of either viewing the video right then and there or clicking on the link (which I usually remember to provide) to watch the video at it's original site. To me it makes sense to make a preview of a video here and then if you see you like it, go to You Tube and see it on a larger screen and usually then it will direct you to similar videos on that subject. If you don't like the video, then don't do that.
I also feel like just because you see an embedded video in a message, that doesn't mean you have to click (or right click) on it and watch it. I don't watch every embedded video that's posted. If you don't like embedded videos then ignore it. Some people do, apparently some don't. I don't see anything wrong with them personally. I see them as a useful tool, to promote a movie or subject that I think others might like. If the consensus here is that embedded videos are not wanted I will quit doing them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print